Which San Juan hotel to stay in the night before the cruise?

hrmkr

Hello everyone,

Looking for recommendations as to which hotel (close to the port) to stay at in Old San Juan. Looking for good/bad reviews.

We are flying in the day before our cruise in February.

Thanks,

Howard

We stayed at the Posada San Francisco hostel. You can't beat the location or the price. The rooms are about as bare as the cruise ship but the whole place is clean. We saw all-ages staying there because the price is so much cheaper than anywhere else in Old San Juan. Would highly recommend if you don't want to overpay for 5-star accommodations.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g147320-d1902834-Reviews-Posada_San_Francisco_Old_San_Juan-San_Juan_Puerto_Rico.html

We have stayed at the Sheraton and Hotel Plaza De Armas.

Sheraton, as above poster noted, is right across the street from the pier.

Hotel Plaza De Armas is right in the middle of old san Juan. It's a very old hotel, but nice. Most rooms do not have windows, but the ones in the front have windows and a balcony overlooking the Plaza De Armas. We loved staying here and will do so in the future. You could walk to the pier, but we took a taxi to carry our luggage. Cost of taxi was $6.

Edited by Island Hopping

We stayed at La Concha in Condado last year-it was such a fun area to be in! Beautiful Hotel too!

I know my folks have also stayed at the Mariott Stellaris (which they loved) and the Condado Plaza Hilton (which they thought was ok).

Condado is a fun area in SJ. It is a taxi ride from Old SJ, but so much to do in Condado to walk around at night. It was very safe.

Happy Cruising!!

We stayed at the Sheraton on Old San Juan. You can't beat the location--we walked to the port. It's nothing fancy, for certain, but it's great for a night or two before a cruise. Easy to walk to the forts and all over the old town area. I would choose it again.

We enjoyed Hotel Casablanca. Not far from the port - a quick cab ride, or you could walk as we did (but a bit of a bumpy hot walk with the cobblestone streets!). Also walkable to the forts.

We had a balcony room which was quite lovely!

https://hotel1459.openhotel.com/m/

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I can recommend Villa Herencia. Stayed there three times so far. Enjoy the botique atmosphere. Feels kind of like staying at your Grandma's hacienda to me.

Very unique atmosphere, on the edge of a lovely little Plaza located next to El Convento. Includes a small breakfast. Midrange pricing but definitely my favorite for Old San Juan stays. Not for anyone looking for a 5 star chain experience, but for a unique one it is my favorite.

I have also stayed at the Hotel Plaza de Armas, great location but it has been so long ago I think it is under new management, when I stayed it was "ok" but iffy depending on the room first stay great, second definite mold on the walls involved. Did stay once at Hotel Milano which was great location but very bland, good budget stay though and we were able to walk to the hotel with luggage when we ended up arriving during the festival when the streets were closed down. Just a few blocks from pier and very reasonable price price.

First choice still Villa Herencia for me.

Edited by dolfndreams

I found some great rates so I just booked my hotels.

For the night before, since I booked my airfare through Cheapoair, I combined a hotel room and was able to get the San Juan Suites for $101 before taxes.

After the cruise, we had to stay an extra day in San Juan to get our great airfare price. What a shame, an extra day in San Juan...

I was able to book the Sheraton Old San Juan for $146 +tax directly through Sheraton using an AARP discount. I couldn't pass up either of those prices so I jumped on them.

I can recommend Villa Herencia. Stayed there three times so far. Enjoy the botique atmosphere. Feels kind of like staying at your Grandma's hacienda to me.

Very unique atmosphere, on the edge of a lovely little Plaza located next to El Convento. Includes a small breakfast. Midrange pricing but definitely my favorite for Old San Juan stays. Not for anyone looking for a 5 star chain experience, but for a unique one it is my favorite.

I have also stayed at the Hotel Plaza de Armas, great location but it has been so long ago I think it is under new management, when I stayed it was "ok" but iffy depending on the room first stay great, second definite mold on the walls involved. Did stay once at Hotel Milano which was great location but very bland, good budget stay though and we were able to walk to the hotel with luggage when we ended up arriving during the festival when the streets were closed down. Just a few blocks from pier and very reasonable price price.

First choice still Villa Herencia for me.

This place!! We stayed here post cruise for a few days and LOVE it! Not far from cruise port and next to El Convento and Cathedral of San Juan Bautista. Great boutique hotel near the San Juan Gate, El Morro and the shopping districts

We stayed at Comfort Inn Condado. Nothing fancy, but it was clean and reasonably priced.

The only thing I recall being an issue - was our room was on the 1st floor and with the tiled floors, we could hear non-stop noise all night long. If we ever stayed there again, I would ask for a room on any other floor.

It was a short cab ride to the port. And there was plenty do within walking distance in the evening.

We've stayed at La Concha 2x and will stay there again in January. Love it. As to hotels near the port, it depends on which cruise line you are sailing on. RCI and Celebrity do not embark from Old San Juan pier, but the from the Pan American. They do use Ols San Juan for port calls.