Lost a diamond from my wedding ring....

Uri1961

Hubby and I will be in St. Marteen for our cruise. I hear the shopping is fantastic. I need to replace the diamond, can anyone suggest which is the best jewelry store for that?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I don't think that my wife would wait 190+ days for a replacement stone. :)

I think most any jewelry shop along Frontstreet would be able to assist you.

Personally, we have three trusted jewelers along Frontstreet, Shiva's for top-end, Ballerina for middle to top, and Ocean for lower end, but very nice pieces.

Just ask if you would like more information.

gary

OP, do some price checking at home first. Many times prices in the Caribbean are not all that much better and if you have some problem later, it can be a hassle to get it fixed. If you have a price from home, be sure you are comparing apples to apples with the 4 C's of diamonf buying, cut, carat, clarity, and color.

Before you buy anything during your cruise, price it out at home on the Blue Nile dot com diamond website first. They have excellent prices and will give you an idea of whether or not the price in St. Maarten is fair. Make sure you know the color, cut, carat and clarity of the remaining stones so that you are comparing apples to apples and choosing a new stone that will match perfectly. Have fun! Who doesn't love diamond shopping?

We've been to St. Maarten five times, and we always go straight to Kay's. Four trips happened to be on our anniversary, good timing :) We've purchased a beautiful blue & white diamond bracelet, a new wedding band for my husband, two anniversary rings, tanzanite necklace, diamond earrings and a watch. Everything is beautiful, they will send you appraisal report if you ask. We have also left my husbands band there for repair, one of the diamonds fell out. They fixed it and had it delivered to the ship before we left port. One nice touch, when you go into the store, they offer you a beer, wine or soda while you shop.

Edited by cruizeblues

• 2 months later...

I'm not sure of the jewelers in St Martin but Princess World Jewelers in St. Thomas is awesome. I got a great deal on a wedding ring for my wife. It appraised for 50% more than we paid for it. They assembled and sized the ring while we went to lunch. Highly recommend.:)

I'm not sure of the jewelers in St Martin but Princess World Jewelers in St. Thomas is awesome. I got a great deal on a wedding ring for my wife. It appraised for 50% more than we paid for it. They assembled and sized the ring while we went to lunch. Highly recommend.:)

Princess World also has a store in Sint Maarten

Hubby and I will be in St. Marteen for our cruise. I hear the shopping is fantastic. I need to replace the diamond, can anyone suggest which is the best jewelry store for that?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

May I assist you in finding the very best option for a replacement stone or a new ring.

For many years we, friends and family have purchased jewelry from what we consider to be the most honest and trustworthy shop on “Front Street”, this being “DIAMONDS JEWELERS”. We have never been disappointed with any purchase.

They are a fair, decent and honest family business, who this year has added a “Gems Upgrade Service”, where you may upgrade in the future your current and past buys from the shop.

They are on the “Approved Listings” for Cruise Lines, and will offer a free beer/soda/water to refresh you.

Plus for an extra special discount, when entering, just ask for “Kevin” and mention “Brentwood Cruise Critic” has sent you.

A warm welcome is guaranteed and there is no feeling of being jumped on, or being put under pressure to buy. You will be made to feel comfortable with a view or a purchase.

To find Diamonds Jewelers, take the shuttle ferry to mid-town (Front Street) - Off the ferry – Ahead to Front Street – Turn Left – Then just a short walk up on the right side of Front Street.

For any sceptics, this recommendation is given fairly and honestly with the total respect for all on Cruise Critic without any profit or gain.

OP, do some price checking at home first. Many times prices in the Caribbean are not all that much better and if you have some problem later, it can be a hassle to get it fixed. If you have a price from home, be sure you are comparing apples to apples with the 4 C's of diamonf buying, cut, carat, clarity, and color.

Totally agree with the above and Keith's comment. BUY AT HOME! If you have any problems you will be dealing face to face with the seller. Why would you spend that much money and not have the ability to deal with a real person if problems occur? Obviously as you found out..things happen. :rolleyes:

I will buy a "fun" piece of jewelry on a vacation knowing if the stone falls out or something needs to be repaired or whatever, my jeweler can do it at home inexpensively if I wish that. But a diamond to replace an original in a wedding ring? :eek:

Shopping "deals" are often a myth in the Caribbean. Be careful. Unless you really know diamonds and can judge what you are looking at and what you actually are getting...no way. Many shop owners LOVE cruisers like you who come in with the idea that "shopping is fantastic'!

Edited by eandj

May I assist you in finding the very best option for a replacement stone or a new ring.

For many years we, friends and family have purchased jewelry from what we consider to be the most honest and trustworthy shop on “Front Street”, this being “DIAMONDS JEWELERS”. We have never been disappointed with any purchase.

They are a fair, decent and honest family business, who this year has added a “Gems Upgrade Service”, where you may upgrade in the future your current and past buys from the shop.

They are on the “Approved Listings” for Cruise Lines, and will offer a free beer/soda/water to refresh you.

Plus for an extra special discount, when entering, just ask for “Kevin” and mention “Brentwood Cruise Critic” has sent you.

A warm welcome is guaranteed and there is no feeling of being jumped on, or being put under pressure to buy. You will be made to feel comfortable with a view or a purchase.

To find Diamonds Jewelers, take the shuttle ferry to mid-town (Front Street) - Off the ferry – Ahead to Front Street – Turn Left – Then just a short walk up on the right side of Front Street.

For any sceptics, this recommendation is given fairly and honestly with the total respect for all on Cruise Critic without any profit or gain.

This reads like ad agency copy, and is the first time I've seen a member feeling it necessary to include a disclaimer. If I wasn't sceptical before reading the last paragraph, I certainly was afterwards.

Edited by Fouremco

This reads like ad agency copy, and is the first time I've seen a member feeling it necessary to include a disclaimer. If I wasn't sceptical before reading the last paragraph, I certainly was afterwards.

Do not be a sceptic - Go and see for yourself and make a serious purchase or two.:D;)

I have bought there for over 6 years. This March my Bother and Sister In Law made 2 purchases, and went back last month for 3 more. Next January, my Godson and his Wife are out there for an eternity ring.

Just trying to help members of Cruise Critic;)

• 3 years later...

My favorite place to buy diamond jewelry is Princess World Jewelers in St. Thomas. 2 years ago, I purchased a 5.02 carat, VS2, G color, princess cut diamond that had a GIA certification and Princess World Jewelers mounted it in an 18k white gold halo setting with 2 1/2 carats of smaller diamonds in the halo and on the sides of the band. Exceptional service, everything I asked for and when we got home, I had an independent appraiser where I live (for insurance purposes) and it appraised for 25% more than we paid for it. I am very pleased and it's always fun to go into other jewelry stores and have them oooh and ahhh over it. Wouldn't shop anywhere else and I would definitely trust them to replace any diamonds I might need in any jewelry whether I purchased it from them or not. Upstanding and honest with great prices. I won't shop anywhere else.

My only comment for the above post is that a 5.02 carat, VS2, G color, princess cut diamond would price at around $125,000 - $150,000.

gary

Yep, seems the only one available right now with those specs is at BlueNile @ $122,000. Yikes!

Of course, the more expensive the jewelry, the more it is possible that you would save enough on tax - even with paying duty - assuming you ignore any use tax issues - that you could do better - if and only if you truly know what you are doing.

We never would buy a serious piece of jewelry outside US - and probably not outside our home city. The wife has gotten a lot of jewelry in SXM and STT but only as souvenirs/mementos of the trips - not to say that we are in the same league or (even a farm club of that league) as the buyer of a 5 carat diamond of that quality.

My favorite place to buy diamond jewelry is Princess World Jewelers in St. Thomas. 2 years ago, I purchased a 5.02 carat, VS2, G color, princess cut diamond that had a GIA certification and Princess World Jewelers mounted it in an 18k white gold halo setting with 2 1/2 carats of smaller diamonds in the halo and on the sides of the band. Exceptional service, everything I asked for and when we got home, I had an independent appraiser where I live (for insurance purposes) and it appraised for 25% more than we paid for it. I am very pleased and it's always fun to go into other jewelry stores and have them oooh and ahhh over it. Wouldn't shop anywhere else and I would definitely trust them to replace any diamonds I might need in any jewelry whether I purchased it from them or not. Upstanding and honest with great prices. I won't shop anywhere else.

Wow, 3 1/2 yrs after the last post you post about purchasing a 5 + carat ring and on another island even! Perhaps the one you love is impressed and I guess that's what counts.

My only comment for the above post is that a 5.02 carat, VS2, G color, princess cut diamond would price at around $125,000 - $150,000.

gary

To which I would add my comment to the effect that he apparently netted an immediate (if not yet realized) profit of from $31,250 to $37,750 based upon the appraisal of at least 25% more than what he paid; well more than what the cruise must have cost him. I love hearing about how people make such great purchases of jewelry, art work, etc. while on cruises.

Well, here's a real-life, first person story about jewelry purchases and appraisals.

We, very recently, made a significant purchase (from one of our guys in St. Maarten), and had it appraised for insurance coverage. It was a very nice fancy yellow diamond. Not 5+ carats, but a premium stone.

I thought that the appraisal came in too high, 46% higher than what we paid.

My problem was that the cost of insurance coverage is based on that appraisal, not what we actually paid, and our guy says that he could come close to that original price if we had to replace it.

You postulate that the poster has made a profit (if not yet realized).

This isn't like looking at your brokerage statement that shows you have an unrealized gain (or loss) with a stock holding. In that case you can move that unrealized gain into your pocket by simply issuing a sell order.

With jewelry, you'd have to find a buyer.

Neither a jeweler nor I would be buying that piece at the inflated appraisal price.

The jeweler knows what his price pre-appraisal and pre-markup was or would be.

I know that I can go back to my guy and purchase a similar stone near the original selling price.

I suspect that if the poster went back to the original shop and tried to sell it back to them he would take a 10-15% hit, their original markup.

That shop would likely offer to apply the entire purchase price towards a nicer stone, though, as they would retain their original markup and make additional on the upgraded piece.

gary