Spotting Seasoned Cruisers

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Cruising for the first time? Our members will have you cruising like a pro in no time! Don't forget to read our 8000 reviews written by first timers just like you!
First Time Cruisers
You May Also Want to Read: Over 6,000 Published Cruise Reviews by First Time Cruisers

Best advice for first-time cruisers; learn how to pick a cabin, find the best cruise bargain, tips on what to pack.

Browse Cruise Critic's First Time Cruiser Resources (articles)
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:52 PM.
London
56 Posts
Joined May 2017
My partner and I are currently on Cunard's Queen Victoria sailing around Greece and as novices (second cruise only) we like to play a game onboard called 'Spotting Seasoned Cruisers'. I won the game today with this:
Coastal GA USA
20,976 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
At least in the Caribbean, you might consider anyone wearing a lanyard a seasoned cruiser. EM
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Booked: Carnival Magic 8/26/17; Carnival Splendor 1/14/18
Carnival Pride B2B 21 nites 2/19/17 Caribbean
Carnival Glory 8/27/16
MSC Divina 5/7/16
Carnival Fascination 22 Feb 2016 Bahamas
MSC Divina 11/20-23/2013 Bahamas
Coral Princess 17 July 2013 Alaska
Celebrity Silhouette 22 May 2013 Adriatic & Italy
Queen Elizabeth 15 May 2013 4 nights
Celebrity Infinity 16 April 2013 B2B San Diego to Harwich
Nieuw Amsterdam Mediterranean 4/30 - 5/24/2012
Millennium B2B2B 2/6-20/2012 Caribbean
Caribbean Princess 10/29/2011 Caribbean Islander NY to FLL
Celebrity Solstice 5/1/2011 FLL to Barcelona
Carnival Fascination 2/28/11 Bahamas
QM 2 12/8/2010 Caribbean Delights
Celebrity Summit 10/24/10 B2B NY to San Juan
Emerald Princess 8/29/10 Western Caribbean
Diamond Princess 5/29/10 B2B Alaska
Westerdam 2/7/10 Eastern & Southern Caribbean
Carnival Dream 10/27/09 Transatlantic
Carnival Sensation 6/18/09 Bahamas
Carnival Splendor 5/17/09 B2B Mexi-not to Canada
Oosterdam 2/28/09 San Diego to Rome 32 nights
Carnival Fascination 12/13/08 Bahamas
QE 2 7/31/08 Lands of Fire and Ice
Celebration 3/27/08 Bahamas
Celebration 1/26/08 Bahamas
Norwegian Spirit 10/20/07 CTN
Elation 4/23/07 B2B Bahamas
Zenith 8/2006 Bermuda
Calypso 7/2005 Greek Isles
Star Princess Inaugural 2/2002 Pacific Rim Singapore to LA 26 nights
Millennium 8/2000 Baltic
Fantasy 6/1999 Bahamas
Royal Princess 1/1999 Buenos Aires to Manaus
Home Lines Oceanic x 2 1973 NYC to Nassau 7 nights
Homes Lines Homeric x2 Eastern Caribbean 1972 10 nights
Philly burbs, PA.
11,032 Posts
Joined Sep 2008
Originally posted by Essiesmom
At least in the Caribbean, you might consider anyone wearing a lanyard a seasoned cruiser. EM
Funny, but I was thinking the opposite - that it would be a novice who would wear the lanyard. Personal preference I guess.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
[SIGPIC]

RCI / Celebrity cruises:
RCI Sovereign
RCI Majesty (twice)
RCI Grandeur (3 times - Maiden voyage +2)
RCI Adventure (3 times)
RCI Voyager
RCI Navigator (twice)
RCI Mariner
RCI Serenade
RCI Jewel
RCI Oasis (twice)
RCI Explorer (twice)
RCI Independence (twice)
RCI Freedom
RCI Allure
RCI Liberty
Celebrity Summit
Celebrity Equinox
Celebrity Equinox 3/18
Celebrity Reflection 6/18
Celebrity Solstice 4/19
Upcoming:

London
56 Posts
Joined May 2017
Originally posted by Essiesmom

A lanyard for me is a scream that says; "I'M FROM THE US OF A!".
London
56 Posts
Joined May 2017
Cruise ship cabins cab at times become a little 'stuffy'. An old timer told us to buy a reed diffuser at one of the local perfumeries. It works a treat! The cabin now smells like honey.
Central Illinois
107,731 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
Originally posted by leaveitallbehind
Funny, but I was thinking the opposite - that it would be a novice who would wear the lanyard. Personal preference I guess.
Agree with you.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Bob

Past Cruises

Celebrity: Mercury
RCCL: Adventure, Allure, Brilliance, Enchantment, Explorer, Freedom, Independence, Legend, Liberty, Majesty, Mariner, Monarch, Navigator, Oasis, Radiance, Rhapsody, Serenade, Sovereign, Vision, Voyager
Illinois (Not Chicago)
799 Posts
Joined Aug 2016
Went on our first cruise last year and took towel clips with us. Never actually used them, though. Doesn't take a seasoned cruiser, just someone who's willing to Google "cruise tips." That's how my wife found them. Heck, I did so much research leading up to it that I knew tips and things about cruising the couple we went with didn't know...and they're frequent cruisers. In regards to lanyards, I saw a lot of gold cards on lanyards, just as many as blue & red. Plus plenty of platinum & diamond, too. It didn't look like it singled out either one, new or long-time cruiser.
Virginia
941 Posts
Joined Feb 2016
Originally posted by leaveitallbehind
I second this as well.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

southern NM desert
11,016 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Originally posted by SonofTertius
My partner and I are currently on Cunard's Queen Victoria sailing around Greece and as novices (second cruise only) we like to play a game onboard called 'Spotting Seasoned Cruisers'. I won the game today with this:
Might not be seasoned cruiser but a newbie who read one of the packing lists and followed it. We have taken more than 20 cruises and never brought towel clips. Didn't need them since if we were off the towel it was only for a few minutes in the pool.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NM Lady (Mary Kay) & my Joe
NCL PLatinum. [3 points away from Platinum-Plus. ]

HAL 2- Star Mariner

Recent cruises:
NCL Jade - Oct/Nov 2016; Transatlantic
NCL Jade - April/May 2016; Western Caribbean, Transatlantic
NCL Jewel - April 2015.: CAS Western Caribbean

1999-2014: 19 cruises
8 NCL, 2 HAL, 2 RCI, 2 Carnival, 2 Celebrity, 2 Oceania,
and 1 Radisson now Regent, around Italy (a sweepstakes prize!)
London
56 Posts
Joined May 2017
Originally posted by NMLady
Might not be seasoned cruiser but a newbie who read one of the packing lists and followed it. We have taken more than 20 cruises and never brought towel clips. Didn't need them since if we were off the towel it was only for a few minutes in the pool.

It's OK. After spending 5 days on the QV so far, I've come to realise that the pax with the towel clips are the ones who also don't stand in line for anything.
Illinois (Not Chicago)
799 Posts
Joined Aug 2016
Originally posted by SonofTertius
It's OK. After spending 5 days on the QV so far, I've come to realise that the pax with the towel clips are the ones who also don't stand in line for anything.
Boy, you've spent a lot of time tracking people with towel clips as they go about their cruise throughout the rest of the ship. People choose to stand in line because whatever that line is for, they've decided it's worth it to them. The act of standing in line doesn't make someone a new or seasoned cruiser. Do seasoned cruisers not stand in lines to get into the comedy club or a show? It's the same as packing light. I read over & over that packing light is the sign of an experienced cruiser. Did anyone stop to think that maybe people pack the way they want? Sure, that fist time could be a bit of trial & error, but after that, it's easy for someone to figure out what they want/don't want to take next time.

To the ones who think lanyards are a sign of novice cruisers, we bought them for our first one and I got the idea from all of the long-time cruisers on the old Carnival forums who use them. Is it really that important to you to differentiate the two groups?

Instead of working so hard to set themselves apart from everyone, I wish experienced cruisers would concentrate more on sharing what they've learned to help newer cruisers enjoy themselves that much more. Thankfully, a lot of the long-time cruisers on this forum do help new ones, but there's an awful lot who seem to have forgotten they were new once too.
Philly burbs, PA.
11,032 Posts
Joined Sep 2008
Originally posted by Organized Chaos
Boy, you've spent a lot of time tracking people with towel clips as they go about their cruise throughout the rest of the ship. People choose to stand in line because whatever that line is for, they've decided it's worth it to them. The act of standing in line doesn't make someone a new or seasoned cruiser. Do seasoned cruisers not stand in lines to get into the comedy club or a show? It's the same as packing light. I read over & over that packing light is the sign of an experienced cruiser. Did anyone stop to think that maybe people pack the way they want? Sure, that fist time could be a bit of trial & error, but after that, it's easy for someone to figure out what they want/don't want to take next time.

To the ones who think lanyards are a sign of novice cruisers, we bought them for our first one and I got the idea from all of the long-time cruisers on the old Carnival forums who use them. Is it really that important to you to differentiate the two groups?

Instead of working so hard to set themselves apart from everyone, I wish experienced cruisers would concentrate more on sharing what they've learned to help newer cruisers enjoy themselves that much more. Thankfully, a lot of the long-time cruisers on this forum do help new ones, but there's an awful lot who seem to have forgotten they were new once too.
I took the entire thread as somewhat tongue in cheek - at least as far as my response was concerned. (And BTW Bob who posted his agreement to my post is a very seasoned cruiser).

For the record, I am a 26 year cruising veteran who has never used a lanyard, occasionally uses towel clips, stands in line when necessary for whatever I want for which the line has formed, usually pack more clothes than I need but don't see the glory in packing too light, and try to be helpful and sharing of my cruise experience as appropriately as the given thread would require. But I also try to have a little fun from time to time and try not to take any CC discussion too seriously - or too lightly, as the case may warrant.

So if there is anything anyone would like to know, if I can be of help I will try. Fire away.....
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
[SIGPIC]

RCI / Celebrity cruises:
RCI Sovereign
RCI Majesty (twice)
RCI Grandeur (3 times - Maiden voyage +2)
RCI Adventure (3 times)
RCI Voyager
RCI Navigator (twice)
RCI Mariner
RCI Serenade
RCI Jewel
RCI Oasis (twice)
RCI Explorer (twice)
RCI Independence (twice)
RCI Freedom
RCI Allure
RCI Liberty
Celebrity Summit
Celebrity Equinox
Celebrity Equinox 3/18
Celebrity Reflection 6/18
Celebrity Solstice 4/19
Upcoming:

Holland
551 Posts
Joined Oct 2014
Isn't it weird that nobody uses a lanyard to carry around their credit card on land? It seems that either lanyards are overrated on a ship, or everyone is missing out on all that convenience the other 51 weeks of the year.
Connecticut
11,494 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Originally posted by AmazedByCruising
Isn't it weird that nobody uses a lanyard to carry around their credit card on land? It seems that either lanyards are overrated on a ship, or everyone is missing out on all that convenience the other 51 weeks of the year.
Very astute observation. My thought is that the nautical origin of the term "lanyard" is what makes the idea so attractive to cruisers. If the thing were otherwise (but equally appropriately) named, say "doofus cord", I suspect their use on cruise ships, or as major topic of discussion on these boards, would be much less.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Six US Navy ships,
25+ cruises: Orient (1), Holland America (11), Norwegian (6), Carnival (1), Princess (1), Celebrity (3), Cunard (2), Royal Caribbean (1) - (1996-2017).
Coming up: Holland America - September 2017
near Toronto & St. Petersburg, FL
1,086 Posts
Joined Jun 2006
To the last 2 posters:

Thanks for the GREAT laughs!!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Oceania Regatta 10/07: Venice to Barcelona and on to London and Paris
Oceania Nautica 9/09: Athens to Istanbul
Oceania Insignia 11/11: Rome to Rio
Oceania Nautica 9/12: Stockholm to London
Oceania Riviera 4/14: Miami to Barcelona to Athens; First B2B
Oceania Insignia 5/16: Sydney to Papeete to LA B2B Dream Retirement Cruise
Oceania Marina 5/17: Lisbon to Rome FamJam
London
56 Posts
Joined May 2017
Originally posted by Organized Chaos

Jeezus. You need to lighten up. Seems that all the cruising doesn't help. Have you tried colour therapy?