Victorious disappointment

MargieWY

I had similar issues with room cleaning on the Dream in March, but I hesitate to report the room steward. When I spoke to him, he said he had something like 38 rooms to clean daily now and in the old days they had far fewer rooms to clean and he was struggling to keep up even with assistants.

I understand what it feels like to work for a company that has unreasonable expectations on performance and reporting that person does nothing but come down on the employee. The corporation already knows their expectations are unreasonable and they have decided to ignore that.

38 cabins can still be doable (19 AM & 19 PM) for 2 people but when you see some of the mess passengers made in their cabins, you have to question who is at fault. Last cruise I was on, my cabin steward was freaking out because one of the cabins had blood all over the bathroom. She certainly wouldn't be able to clean that cabin in the usual 10 to 15 minutes span. Same goes with people who just dumped trash and dirty dishes all over the ship.

Edited by sfaaa

I have 5 Carnival cruises to date and have experienced none of what you say, except the main dining room food was somewhat disappointing this go around, but there were plenty other choices (20$ upcharge surf and turf).

No jumpers, no norovirus, no fights, no sloppy drunks. Sorry to disappoint you.

I am loyal to the port of New Orleans, not a cruise company. Whoever sails from Nola in the summer gets my business. Right now, that has been Carnival.

OP, It sounds like you went on a spring break booze cruise. Try again for a different time of year.

Consider the source. Most people here ignore this troll.

Hopefully you won't be irresponsibly directing the OP to RCCL as these issues occur there, too. 5 minutes of searching found this. 30 minutes of searching would pull up much more posted from your fellow cruisers.

FIGHTS & POOR BEHAVIOR -

POOR FOOD - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2437113

FILTHY - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2410855

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you! This troll does this every day. Comes here to troll this board trying to piss off Carnival cruisers all the while totally ignoring the fact the same stuff happens on his precious Royal Caribbean.

Your attacking the poster and not reading what they have to say.

Well most of us could not care less what the forum troll has to say. Its the same old ****, different day, every day with him. he acts like a petulant little child and you seem to be following right along in his footsteps.

Edited by ryano

The only cruise I saw puke on the floor was Norwegian America Pride of Hawaii. In multiple spots.

Wow you have been lucky . I have noticed it several times with Carnival. You know its coming when you see the little white bags taped to the sides of the elevator doors as well as other places.

Well most of us could not care less what the forum troll has to say. Its the same old ****, different day, every day with him. he acts like a petulant little child and you seem to be following right along in his footsteps.

I do understand what your saying and respect that , but some of his post are dead on track. The thing about me is I'll tell a person from my experiences ,sometimes that just rolls wrong with some of Carnivals fans. But I'm a fan as well . There is a ton of things that Carnival gets right .

Oh I'm sure that there were tons of people who had an absolute blast (for sure the people that were drunk and screaming profanities and not caring about their fellow cruisers did. LOL.

Yep, unfortunately it seems people care less about being considerate and think that they are they only one who matter. It not just on a cruise but seems to be everywhere.

The issue you had with cabin steward should have been addressed while sailing to the hotel director, I'm fairly confident they would have ensured you were satisfied. Posting now may help you vent but won't help your cruise experience and won't help the hotel director to know they may have a training problem they need to address.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

This sounds like many Carnival cruises. Fights, and other poor behavior of guests, poor food, lack of entertainment and activities, ill prepared for changes, poorly cleaned rooms, lack of details.

At least more and more people are beginning to report and talk about these experiences on Carnival. Thanks for sharing and remember, there are many other cruise ship companies out there that you would find enjoyable.

Actually NO, it doesn't sound like many Carnival cruises/ That's bunk. I have never had that kind of experience. Rooms have always been immaculate, and always something to do, but then again I would not take a 4 day cruise either. Its not perfect but far form the norm!

My last Carnival cruise was last May on the Magic...it was very good, ok, so when I cruise Carnival I don't cruise for the food if you know what I mean, but we dine at the Steakhouse each night for dinner and that has always been excellent. We had nightly live band playing music as well as nightly comedy shows and we could get "something to eat" other than hot pizza until 11pm.

My son got off the Magic this past January, said there were only three nights comedy, there no longer is a full band on board, he said Guys Burgers was closed at 6pm and no late night food offered even after 7pm except for the pizza.....he said he is pretty much done with Carnival and going back to RC.

My gardener went on the Paradise in February pretty much confirmed everything my son said but added that the buffet dinner was closed the last two evenings as well as to get a hot dog, burger wasn't available past 6pm.

I think we can come to the conclusion that Carnival has cut back even more....I was booked on the Dream for two weeks only had to cancel due to medical issues as my doctor told me I was unable to sit longer than an hour at a time and my flight would of been much longer...good thing for insurance as we were just reimbursed fully for the portion that Carnival did not return back to us. I booked RC Harmony of the Seas for two weeks instead, and after hearing all these newer reviews stating the disappointments of many passengers have, I am so thankful I am not going on the Dream next month.

I am sorry all these people are not having as much as a good time like they used to....its a shame, but let us be aware there are other cruise lines to choose from.

What?? I think not. Hell the MDR has dining up to and past 8:30, so that is not true!!!. Plenty of food past 6pm.. Heck even the Taste Bar is open past that!

True, wasn't speaking about the MDR, was mentioning after one ate dinner say for early seating, there was nothing but pizza to eat afterwards. If one eats dinner early seating at 6pm and then drinks you definitely want to eat something more about 10pm, nothing they said was available at that time but pizza, surely the MDR is closed.

I was on the Carnival Victory sailing of 4/10, our room wasn't very clean. A quick inspection and you could tell a good vacuum was in order. Found hair in drawers and nail clippings near the vanity, a first for me on Carnival. Although the room had been renovated, some of the drawers already had water damage.

We had a possible man overboard on our way to Cozumel and spent three hours searching. Once headcount was completed, the captain made an announcement and we continued sailing towards Cozumel arriving an hour late.

I found the food to be good not spectacular but better than the Vista MDR when we did our Med cruise on her. The ship needs upgrades, there's very little to do on the upper decks when comparing to Carnival's newer ships. I do agree that activities were few and far apart, blame the cruise director for that one. The comedian was awful on the night we decided to attend. The night shows need to be refreshed, simply not good and have been around for years. For example, the welcome show with the inflatable cruise ship. That show should have been retired years ago, super outdated and cheesy.

Some of the bands playing at night weren't as good when compared to other Carnival ships. Overall, I had a good time and would do it again but would definitely look for a newer ship or wait for Victory's next dry dock to see what's been added.

By the way, the internet is worthless on this ship. I paid for the middle of the road plan, one above social, and could simply not surf or post on most nights. Had to wait into the early morning hours before it became useful again.

The crowd was mixed but everyone behaved, no complaints. It's not the type of crowd you'll see on longer cruises but I really don't care, as long as everyone is civilized that's all that matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Would like to point out that the Carnival Victory crew worked hard during our cruise with the exception of our room Stewart. The attention during breakfast and dinner in the MDR was good. The Lido buffet was kept clean and dirty plates picked up right away, kudos to the crew for their hard work.

The room Stewart situation is of concern, think this is where some of the cutbacks have taken place lately if you ask me. Smaller teams serving the same amount of rooms, not having sufficient time to properly clean them.

As for the cruise director, nice guy with catchy saying but he's not as visible as say Matt on the Vista.

My wife and I were on that ship on that sailing. We had a great time. We got off in Key West, rode a trolley to the Butterfly Conservatory (or whatever it is called). We were on the port side forward for the muster. Didn't see a fight. Not saying it did not happen. Our room was perfect. Our steward was awesome. Matey was great. The fun staff were wonderful (free hugs, purple hair, and all). The shows were a bit racy for our tastes (butts galore). The one comedy show we went to was a bit flat (perhaps it didn't strike a cord with my interests). All in all we had a great time. Honestly, I have never been on a bad cruise. Perhaps I am easy to please. Perhaps I am lucky. Don't know. Don't care. I plan on making the best of whatever is in front of me. Oh... I almost forgot. I saw someone not dressed perfect for elegant night and it made my food taste bad. Sorry... had to. :-) Cheeeeeeeeeerio

Honestly, I have never been on a bad cruise.

Oh... I almost forgot. I saw someone not dressed perfect for elegant night and it made my food taste bad. Sorry... had to. :-) Cheeeeeeeeeerio

I know that you made that last comment in a lighthearted, funny way, but I don't blame the OP one bit for not taking another bite of their food. Twice now (once on the Carnival Dream and once on the Westerdam) I've fallen ill with food poisoning (violently on the Westerdam), and believe me, I don't want to deal with that ever again. If it ever happens to you, your days of saying that "you've never had a bad cruise" will be over!

On the Carnival Dream, I could pin point the specific food item and I remember it as the OP described it (slimy) and off tasting. Now I don't take any chances. If something tastes remotely off, I leave it. Lesson learned.

Chances are that the more you cruise, the more likely you will come across one or more of the things that the OP encountered, no matter how positive or easy to please you are. In my 36 years of cruising, I've seen everything mentioned above (several times), so I'm not surprised one bit.

Edited by Tapi

True, wasn't speaking about the MDR, was mentioning after one ate dinner say for early seating, there was nothing but pizza to eat afterwards. If one eats dinner early seating at 6pm and then drinks you definitely want to eat something more about 10pm, nothing they said was available at that time but pizza, surely the MDR is closed.

No room service?

The room Stewart situation is of concern, think this is where some of the cutbacks have taken place lately if you ask me. Smaller teams serving the same amount of rooms, not having sufficient time to properly clean them.

That's a poor choice on resource management by the company. It's not my problem on vacation.

Would love to take your suggestions but these options may be too expensive for us. We understand that with our budget we may not be able to take longer cruises on fancier cruise lines, but at the same time we feel that common decency should be expected no matter how short or affordable a cruise may be. But I guess I may be fantasizing.

Unfortunately, the shorter cruises attract the "party people" who are there for a quick weekend get away and party hardy. If you could manage a 6 day or longer, you would find a better crowd. Maybe switch to an interior instead of an ocenview which would make a longer cruise more affordable. No excuse for room steward, should have reported to hotel director.

Pat

I agree with this. For the last 5 years, I've been trying different cruise lines including Princess, Holland America and MSC. With a little bit of creativity and flexibility, I've found some awesome cruises that were priced cheaper than Carnival.

Last year, we were going to sail on the Carnival Valor. We were booked and ready to go when we found a "too good to be true" deal on MSC. 2 for the price of 1 on balcony staterooms, kids sail free, and a loyalty match program that gave us an additional discount. By the time it was all said and done, we sailed for 7 nights during the summer high season period on a nice, newer ship for a little over $250pp, all taxes included!

So definitely shop around because the deals are out there. It just takes some perseverance to find them!

How did you like MSC and how would you compare them to Carnival? I have been considering them because of the loyalty match program.

Pat

Actually NO, it doesn't sound like many Carnival cruises/ That's bunk. I have never had that kind of experience. Rooms have always been immaculate, and always something to do, but then again I would not take a 4 day cruise either. Its not perfect but far form the norm!

Agree 100%

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

I know that you made that last comment in a lighthearted, funny way, but I don't blame the OP one bit for not taking another bite of their food. Twice now (once on the Carnival Dream and once on the Westerdam) I've fallen ill with food poisoning (violently on the Westerdam), and believe me, I don't want to deal with that ever again. If it ever happens to you, your days of saying that "you've never had a bad cruise" will be over!

On the Carnival Dream, I could pin point the specific food item and I remember it as the OP described it (slimy) and off tasting. Now I don't take any chances. If something tastes remotely off, I leave it. Lesson learned.

Chances are that the more you cruise, the more likely you will come across one or more of the things that the OP encountered, no matter how positive or easy to please you are. In my 36 years of cruising, I've seen everything mentioned above (several times), so I'm not surprised one bit.

We can only testify on that which we have experienced or seen. I am in no position to judge anyone else's experiences. Food poisoning is no laughing matter. My comment about my dining experience was irrelevant trolling directed at those that have their cruise experience ruined by what someone else is doing. I hope I continue to have great cruises. I do believe much of my experience has to do with attitude. Intent means everything to me. I look by imperfections as long as I see an intent to do right by me. It is likely that my reply was biased by the assessment of Key West. We had a great time in Key West... and there was no giant umbrella following me around. Their assessment of Key West speaks volumes to me. I have the attitude of Prince when it comes to such things. His handlers told him that it was raining as the super bowl halftime approached where he was to perform. His response was "can you make it rain harder". Some people need to take life as it comes. It is only rain. I won't melt. I did not melt. I have run in the rain all my life. If rain ruins your day, then you have a life full of bad days. Please understand, I cannot judge on many of the things listed in the rant. Again, maybe I am lucky. But rain! Please!

I think that society as a whole has changed and people are expecting a lot more for the same price. We live locally to hersheypark and visit often. Their opening weekend was horrible due to the crowds and at one point the cops were called due to guests fighting with each other.

I think that society as a whole has changed and people are expecting a lot more for the same price. We live locally to hersheypark and visit often. Their opening weekend was horrible due to the crowds and at one point the cops were called due to guests fighting with each other.

It is also possible that as we age that our perspective changes. Few self assess honestly. It we are a rebel at 20, then the cause is just. If we are not a rebel at 40, then their cause is not just. I am not discounting any situation that I did not see. I am certain that some stories are real. I know this much. Every situation is viewed differently by many people. Obviously the situation is not that which is changing. I choose to be happy. "Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content." I'm out.