Paying for Specific Seating on a Flight? Yes or No?

johnjen

Realizing how much we have a distaste over the possibility of being seated in the middle row of a 3-4-3 lower/2-4-2 upper deck on an A380 with no aisle seating or window, I decided to arrange for seating online. I chose a set of twin seats in the upper deck; cost was $153 total. The way I was thinking, it was money well spent. It's a 7+ hour flight and knowing we don't have to annoy people with our wanting to get up to stretch our legs and do bathroom breaks - I thought it a good move. And, we're going to be on vacation - might as well live right.

Your thoughts on this? I know some of you are expert flyers and wanted to know what you guys do for preferred seating arrangements.

As with everything else in life,, follow the money.

Everybody has their own individual price point. I have mine, it's most likely different than yours.

If you're happy with the price paid, then that's all that matters.

When I can afford it I always upgrade to a better seat (food. Leg room). But I don't spend money to choose specific seat in advance. My usual long-haul airline allows us to choose seats 24hr before flight. We don't care if we are sitting together or not as we are either watching movies or sleeping. 😀

Sent from my SM-N910F using Forums mobile app

I will pay more...when I can get the 2-2 configuration..and certainly for the next class up when priced fairly...often times that's Economy Plus, Comfort or what ever it's called on the carrier I'm flying...well worth it to us...and so is Business/First class when priced within reach.

I know some of you are expert flyers and wanted to know what you guys do for preferred seating arrangements.

For many of us, we maintain elite level frequent flyer status on our preferred airline(s), which allows us to choose preferred seats at no extra charge. :D

(sorry, I know that's not the answer you were looking for, but it IS why this whole "paying for certain seats" things is foreign to a lot of very frequent flyers.)

I don't care where I sit or if companions are next to me. Airlines do not purposely separate tickets if they are booked together. It can happen if you are one of the last to check in. If flight is full. But I have found that if I leave it to the last minute I can often get preferred seating without paying for it i.e. front of plane or emergency seats.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

For many of us, we maintain elite level frequent flyer status on our preferred airline(s), which allows us to choose preferred seats at no extra charge. :D

(sorry, I know that's not the answer you were looking for, but it IS why this whole "paying for certain seats" things is foreign to a lot of very frequent flyers.)

Thanks for that "elite level" answer...I'm sure it helps the OP :rolleyes:

What airline is this? One way or round trip? $153 sounds like a lot just for seat assignments. Are there any other benefits included?

The bookings were on AA, but the leg from IAD-LHR is BA. I noticed we were on an A-380 and checked out the seating chart and decided I'd like to go upper deck. Seating there is 2-4-2 and liked the idea of the "2" configuration where we can sit together in peace and also be seated at an exit seat for more leg room. For us, it's worth the extra few bob. Now, I realise there's that chance we could've ended up in those seats anyway - but the chance of sitting in the middle of the plane in between two disgruntled aisle passengers who hate moving to let others out during a flight was there as well. So, yeah, definitely worthwhile!

Seating there is 2-4-2 and liked the idea of the "2" configuration where we can sit together in peace and also be seated at an exit seat for more leg room.

So that price is for exit row seats with extra leg room? That wasn't mentioned earlier. Makes sense now.

Your thoughts on this? I know some of you are expert flyers and wanted to know what you guys do for preferred seating arrangements.
Like others, on most of my flights I get seat pre-allocation for free so I rarely have to think about this.

But when I do, it very much depends on the circumstances. Sometimes it makes sense, sometimes the added value from seat pre-allocation for a particular flight is insufficient to justify spending the money.

Interesting to see this today. I just 2 days ago booked us on a flight Denver-Houston for our nephew's wedding.

We are NOT frequent flyers and consequently have to pay for upgrades. But I am way beyond "generously-sized" and not only pay for Spirit's "big front seats" but have to select airlines based on whether or not I can get an oversized seat for a fairly reasonable price. (I jumped at Alaska Airlines' joint-with-AA Denver-to-Seattle first class for $4xx RT - the exact same flight's first class seats, when booked through American's website, were over $1000.)

Bottom line, I agree with the poster who said that if it's worth it to you - it's worth it. It's like whether to pay extra to get a balcony on a cruise; worth it to some people in some situations, not worth it to others. Neither choice is wrong or right, it's just personal preference.

So that price is for exit row seats with extra leg room? That wasn't mentioned earlier. Makes sense now.

Yeah, exit row seats. However....according to pictures of the A380 aircraft, it appears that the exit row seats might not have a viewing window.

Wondering if anyone knows for sure about that?

However....according to pictures of the A380 aircraft, it appears that the exit row seats might not have a viewing window.
Correct. But I wouldn't let that put you off taking these seats.

Here are photos of 70JK and 80JK (both clicky):-

9213552145_ce656d95df_c.jpg

(Source: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21684609-post207.html)

P1080950.JPG

(Source: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21867585-post266.html)

Correct. But I wouldn't let that put you off taking these seats.

Here are photos of 70JK and 80JK (both clicky):-

Thanks, Globaliser.....and yeah, keeping 70J/K seats indeed! DW will be most pleased.

Edited by johnjen

Thanks, Globaliser.....and yeah, keeping 70J/K seats indeed! DW will be most pleased.

Just remember to check your booking often...things can and usually do change and that definitely would impact the seats you've selected.

Just remember to check your booking often...things can and usually do change and that definitely would impact the seats you've selected.

I know....according to the rules, If they have to change our seats, they do their best to give us a suitable alternative. If we pay for exit row seats they'll try and match that.

If they are unable to offer us that suitable alternative, we apply for a refund. Had to do that on a KLM flight that cancelled on us, we pre-arranged for selective seats. We were moved to a United flight seated in the middle.....ugh. KLM was quick in refunding me the difference. Love that airline....free Heineken every time.

I would recommend signing up to My Flights - available as an app or just for use as a website. It will alert you if the aircraft type changes or if your seats change (amongst other things). It is possible it only works with Amadeus bookings now (AIUI any booking record that can be retrieved using CheckMyTrip should work with My Flights), but any booking for travel on BA ought to have at least one booking record hosted on Amadeus.