So Cheers is back to a flat $49.50 per day?

Rh2458

On our last cruise our S&S bill was about $450. (Drinks, pictures, coffee shop, gift shop) you can tell by our bill we didn't spend that much on drinks. We were set to try cheers at the lower price. I was excited about trying different drinks. Now that the price has been changed to the $49.95 price we will not be buying it. I was figuring our S&S bill this time to be about $800. I guess now I only have to save $450. Thanks for saving me money carnival. ;)

Is this truly the prices now? Because a frozen concoction such as a kiss on the lips or a daiquiri just went up from $7.50 ($8.63 with gratutity) to $7.95 ($9.14 with grat.) and so did all of the others.

If this chart is accurate - no wonder they raised Cheers.

For reference only....

We were going to try it on our next cruise because I thought we had a chance of breaking even with the old price point over an 8 day cruise.

We liked the idea of trying new drinks and not worrying if we didn't like them. We also liked the idea of an all inclusive feel to our vacation with most charges taken care of aside from gambling and souvenirs.

Having to average two more drinks a day over 8 days at a cost of $920 for two has made it seem like a return to price gouging by Carnival.

Sorry Carnival, we'll go back to bringing two bottles of wine, and spending more on our port days.

Carnival has not impressed me with a few things (inconsistent policies, crazy price fluctuations, CSR's who have different answers to the same questions and now this abrupt pricing change). Yes, they do state that prices are subject to change, however a courtesy advance notice to their customers would have been a better approach here.

I am certain I will still have an amazing time on my cruise, even if the beverage package costs just as much as the entire fare for 5 days (or close to it), however if I decide to sail again it may be with another cruise line.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So if you have an amazing time you'll change cruise lines because a travel company has price fluctuations and this abrupt price change? When they lowered the price on the cheers package months ago it was also abrupt. Shame on them. Also please point out 1 inconsistent Carnival policy please. Thanks.

Sorry Carnival, we'll go back to bringing two bottles of wine, and spending more on our port days.

These I'll show you Carnival post, and there are quite a few of them, crack me up. We wouldn't even be discussing this today if Carnival hadn't tried lowering the price. It's was accepted and successful before and it will be accepted and successful now.

On our last cruise our S&S bill was about $450. (Drinks, pictures, coffee shop, gift shop) you can tell by our bill we didn't spend that much on drinks. We were set to try cheers at the lower price. I was excited about trying different drinks. Now that the price has been changed to the $49.95 price we will not be buying it. I was figuring our S&S bill this time to be about $800. I guess now I only have to save $450. Thanks for saving me money carnival. ;)

I am kind of in a similar situation. I have been dithering for quite some time about getting cheers at 37.50/day or not. That would be about my normal daily bar bill on a sea day, and maybe slightly less on a day the ship is in port of call. But because of the "break even" for me, I was looking forward to purchasing cheers just to try some new drinks and and not have to worry about sticking to a daily budget. But at the new price there is no way I will be paying that, and will stick to my usual daily bar limit. I still think my bar bill will come in way lower than 300.00 for the week, so I too will be saving money by this. And for another thing....less alcohol consumed...less weight gain! So this new cheers price is probably good for me:)

This change though will not affect my enjoyment of my upcoming cruise, just a slight mental adjustment I have to make beforehand. I am still fully expecting to have an awesome cruise, but also bound to my budget.

Edited by SMSACE6

So if you have an amazing time you'll change cruise lines because a travel company has price fluctuations and this abrupt price change? When they lowered the price on the cheers package months ago it was also abrupt. Shame on them. Also please point out 1 inconsistent Carnival policy please. Thanks.

Don't need to point anything out. I am speaking of my own feelings and observations. I can have an amazing time at home, in a tent, on a cruise or in a palace. A company only gets one first impression. If I was completely impressed initially I would be more inclined to be a returning customer. There have been a few turn off for me, so IF I decide to cruise again in the future I MAY decide to try a different line. Or even a whole new form of vacation. Not flaming any Carnival loyals, just stating my opinion.

But thanks for the challenge of the debate. I've got much better things to do with my time. Like packing for my amazing cruise :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Three things

1. I agree that Carnival can change pricing, even with the Cheers program. I believe that whomever is over the Public Relations department should be seriously looked at for just how inept they are with their job responsibilities.

Did they not learn that giving advance notice to their customers during the change in the smoking policy - prepare those who had future cruises bought and paid for ? And, had they NOT forseen a negative backlash from NOT informing their customers until the last minute despite (I believe) was a decision made some time ago, and NOT just yesterday or last week about the Cheers program ?

2 and 3 are questions

2. With prices going back, will the structure of starting Cheers on Day 2.also go in to effect ? (I don't care about Texas departures)

3. Regarding the excel sheet on pricing, what % of people drink 15 a day ? Less than 10 %, more than 50% ?.

I can understand the 15 drink column, it's relevant to those who do drink the maximum, - BUT, is anyone interested in knowing how much money you can save with drinking 5 or 10, as opposed to 15 ? I'm a math wiz and don't mind doing the calculation, just wondered why that column is there for 15 drinks , unless a large majority >75 %, drink that much

These I'll show you Carnival post, and there are quite a few of them, crack me up. We wouldn't even be discussing this today if Carnival hadn't tried lowering the price. It's was accepted and successful before and it will be accepted and successful now.

Why would anyone complain about a price adjustment downward? Obviously that won't have a negative impact on your vacation budget whereas an increase would. Not everything Carnival does is o.k.

Edited by cruizinisthebest

I'm glad we could amuse you, but the reason they dropped the price was it was not as successful as they would like, and a knee jerk reaction from some bean counters has made them return to their original price.

And as far as the discussion goes, thank you Captain Obvious!

If you go to buy a plane ticket and the price has gone up do you complain about it? Call guest services? Blame PR? Nope

If you go to buy a car and the price goes up do you complain about it? Call the manufacturer? Nope

If you go to buy gas and the price has gone up to you complain about it? Do you call and complain about the gas station? Nope

In all of the above you were planning to purchase but you were not provided with knowledge that the price was going up. It's part of life and Carnival should be no different. I could be wrong but I don't think they did any advertising saying the price would be reduced when it went down, it just happened and social media caught wind.

I purchased Cheers on my 8 day Liberty cruise last month (September 13 sailing) at the 37.50 price. We had three sea days and I certainly thought I'd come out ahead buying Cheers. The most I drank in one day was 7 drinks and that was only one day. No way did I come anywhere near fifteen drinks, nor did I want to. Quite honestly, by about the fourth or fifth day of the cruise, I didn't even feel like drinking that much anymore, but I did because I felt like I had to at least break even. I was able to try drinks that I wouldn't have otherwise tried. I'm glad I tried the Cheers program when it was the lower price, but I don't think I'd do it again.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

With the Cheers program price reduction I had decided to purchase for the same reasons most of you stated: trying new drinks, not worrying if you don't like a drink, not worrying about your budget etc. For me, if rather they lower pricing and lower limits a bit, or as others had brought up consider tiered pricing for certain quantities. Not sure now if what I'll do.....

I'm glad we could amuse you, but the reason they dropped the price was it was not as successful as they would like, and a knee jerk reaction from some bean counters has made them return to their original price.

And as far as the discussion goes, thank you Captain Obvious!

Hmmmm over 100 post on this. Not too obvious to some. And no matter what the price might be, if it were not successful they'd drop the program all together. Like I said, this program will continue to be a winner for Carnival.

Slow your roll people!!! I boarded the Splendor yesterday and paid 37.50 a day for Cheers, so unless the Splendor didn't get that message, you need to wait for other people to report in before freaking out.

That was yesterday, the new $49.95 price went into effect today. See the official notation of it on Carnival's Web Page, "Cheers" in the FAQs:

http://www.carnival.com/core/faq.aspx

Edited by ferfoodle

Slow your roll people!!! I boarded the Splendor yesterday and paid 37.50 a day for Cheers, so unless the Splendor didn't get that message, you need to wait for other people to report in before freaking out.

Yesterday wasn't today. Consider yourself one of the last lucky few.

Did anyone actually buy the program on that sliding scale? When did it change? Sorry if I missed it. I have never done Cheers but was looking forward to trying it next year when the 7-day under the other terms was $37.50 plus tax. Not sure now.:confused:

I still see the sliding scale pricing on goccl.com

https://www.goccl.com/~/media/Files/Irman/bookccl/shipboard_knowledge/My_Awesome_Bar_Program.pdf

Edited by winddawn

The carnival website notes that the price for the cheers program can change on the day of embarkation....that being said, I wonder if the price is dependant on ship capacity. Ie: sold out ship/cruise maybe lower price? Who knows.....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Others have:

Not sure if this is new or not but I thought 7+ day cruises was $37 a day. I just boarded the Breeze a few hours ago and it's 49.95. Having said that I still purchased it but was disappointed. It came to $919 for 2 after gratuity for an 8 night cruise.

That was yesterday, the new $49.95 price went into effect today. See the official notation of it on Carnival's Web Page, "Cheers" in the FAQs:

http://www.carnival.com/core/faq.aspx

Yesterday wasn't today. Consider yourself one of the last lucky few.

Oh man!! Not good!! Well, I got to purchase it with the low pricing twice, so I guess I lucked out. The breakeven point would go up two drinks for me, so it would still work out but......