Question about day in NYC on QM2 round trip

nvqa1

My wife and I re travelling on the QM2 round trip voyage 13-27 October. We have done this trip before but what we have not done is strike out under own steam which we plan to do this time. Can anyone give us some pointers on the following:

1. What time will we be able to disembark

2. Can we get a taxi from the terminal - we are going to Pier 78

3. What time do we need to be back on QM2 and what are the logistics of re-embarking.

Thanks

Mike and Lyn

So you are in NYC on Friday, October 20th?

You should be able to get off the ship about 7 - 7:30AM, as soon as the ship is cleared by US authorities. You will have to go through the immigration line because the US doesn't have an immigration agent on board as the UK does on Southampton bound sailings.

Yes

3. What time do we need to be back on QM2 and what are the logistics of re-embarking.

All-aboard time will be about 3:30 or 3:45 and will be posted when you leave the ship.

The down side of going into Manhattan on you own is that you will be in Friday afternoon rush hour traffic on the ride back to the pier. To be on the safe side aim on getting back no later than 2:30. Next port Southampton, and not the little village by that name on Long Island, New York.

Yes, the Manhattan piers are much more convenient for those continuing on with the ship. QM2 has not docked in Manhattan since September 2014 when the Royal Princess was in port the same day. Royal Princess was berthed in Brooklyn as she carries 1,000 more passengers than QM2. It would probably take a similar situation or some damage to the Redhook pier for it to happen again.

She was quite a magnificent sight at first light.

You could take a taxi or ride share (Lyft or Uber) to a subway station fairly near the Red Hook terminal, and then zip into Manhattan via subway, avoiding traffic snarls on the bridges. Then do the same on the way back. Or you could do something fun and cool for the day in Brooklyn, like the Brooklyn Museum, lunch, a cafe, walking tour in Brooklyn Heights, etc. and not spend much time in transit. Just some ideas.

Thank you for your responses -

Blue Riband - awesome video thanks. Yes in NYC on 20 Oct. I realise the ship docks in Brooklyn and not Manhattan; incidentally the last time we did this round trip in Nov 12, the ship DID dock in Manhattan because of storm damage to Redhook. We went on an organised coach tour that day which we didn't enjoy too much hence why we have organised our own itinerary this time.

We are doing a skyline tour from pier 78 in the morning hence my question about how to get from Redhook to pier 78 then after lunch we are doing a horsedrawn carriage tour of Central Park - the company doing that have advised us to go by taxi from pier 78 to plaza hotel central park. Then after that we plan to walk from the drop off point at the Plaza Hotel down to Macys which my wife in particular wants to visit. Then taxi back to Redhook.

Does anyone have any better suggestions as to how we can travel between Redhook to pier 78 then pier 78 to plaza hotel central park then to Macys then back to Redhook.

New York City recently introduced a few new ferry routes, one of which goes from the pier at Wall Street to Atlantic Basin in Brooklyn. It docks no more than about 75 yards from the QM2 terminal. On a recent visit, I was impressed by the number of crewmembers who used it to head into Manhattan during their layover. The ferry runs about every 30-45 minutes and the trip to Manhattan takes about 20 minutes. The boats are brand new, and quite comfortable.

There's some discussion on the ferry in this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2519678

Phil

P.S. NYC Ferry operates the East River ferry routes (including the one to the QM2). New York Waterway operates the Hudson river ferries. New York Waterway serves the Wall Street pier, but it doesn't look like any of the Wall Street routes go directly to Pier 78. You might be able to get their entirely by water if you went to Pier 11 (Wall Street), then to one of the destinations that are served by both Pier 11 and Pier 78. If you have the time, it might be work exploring. Here's the New York Waterway info:

http://www.nywaterway.com/FerryRoutesSchedules.aspx

Edited by frankp01

I've never taken it, but there is a water taxi that leaves from IKEA next to Red Hook to Manhattan. The link is here.

https://www.nywatertaxi.com/ikea

Sent from my SM-J700T using Forums mobile app

The IKEA ferry slip is quite a distance from the Brooklyn Terminal, and as far as I'm aware, the water taxi doesn't run in the morning.

The Red Hook dock for the new NYC Ferry service referenced by frankp01 is immediately adjacent to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal. Thus, there's no need to even consider the IKEA water taxi.

I've taken the new ferry between Red Hook and Manhattan (Pier 11 on the East River) several times, and have encountered QM2 passengers and crew members on board. It is by far the easiest, cheapest, and most pleasant way to travel between the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal and Manhattan.

gents

thank you all for your very helpful responses - transatlantic fan - the shuttle bus option is very attractive to us and we are going to have a good look at it.

frankp01/post captain - I really like the ferry option however I gather it lands us at Pier 11 which (according to Google maps) is about 9 miles from Central Park where we are going for 10am. Would we be able to get a taxi from pier 11 if we went this route?

My wife and I re travelling on the QM2 round trip voyage 13-27 October. We have done this trip before but what we have not done is strike out under own steam which we plan to do this time. Can anyone give us some pointers on the following:

Thanks

Mike and Lyn

I recommend you post your question on the CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!! board under North American Homeports >East Coast Departures. 138east, who posts on there regularly, seems to know everything, and I mean everything, about getting around New York City.

gents

thank you all for your very helpful responses - transatlantic fan - the shuttle bus option is very attractive to us and we are going to have a good look at it.

frankp01/post captain - I really like the ferry option however I gather it lands us at Pier 11 which (according to Google maps) is about 9 miles from Central Park where we are going for 10am. Would we be able to get a taxi from pier 11 if we went this route?

gents

You should be able to hail a taxi on South Street or Wall Street.

https://goo.gl/maps/uHDdfgqGGHG2

From there, it's about six miles to the southern end of Central Park.

Thank you for your responses -

Blue Riband - awesome video thanks. Yes in NYC on 20 Oct. I realise the ship docks in Brooklyn and not Manhattan; incidentally the last time we did this round trip in Nov 12, the ship DID dock in Manhattan because of storm damage to Redhook. We went on an organised coach tour that day which we didn't enjoy too much hence why we have organised our own itinerary this time.

We are doing a skyline tour from pier 78 in the morning hence my question about how to get from Redhook to pier 78 then after lunch we are doing a horsedrawn carriage tour of Central Park - the company doing that have advised us to go by taxi from pier 78 to plaza hotel central park. Then after that we plan to walk from the drop off point at the Plaza Hotel down to Macys which my wife in particular wants to visit. Then taxi back to Redhook.

Does anyone have any better suggestions as to how we can travel between Redhook to pier 78 then pier 78 to plaza hotel central park then to Macys then back to Redhook.

"Does anyone have any better suggestions as to how we can travel between Redhook to pier 78 then pier 78 to plaza hotel central park then to Macys then back to Redhook"?

Yes.

Follow this...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2013/06/24/one-way-to-do-new-york-brooklyn-to-central-park-via-the-highline-walk/

CarrollStreetSubwayStationcopySR_zpsb78c9cff.jpg

Of course we had a different start point but it won't be rocket science to work out which subway stop is best for Pier 78.

The rest is simple, as you will see our last sop of the day, before returning to Brooklyn, was Central Park...

RichardinCentralParkcopySolentRichard_zps03305ef0.jpg

Hope that helps.

"Does anyone have any better suggestions as to how we can travel between Redhook to pier 78 then pier 78 to plaza hotel central park then to Macys then back to Redhook"?

Yes.

Follow this...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2013/06/24/one-way-to-do-new-york-brooklyn-to-central-park-via-the-highline-walk/

Of course we had a different start point but it won't be rocket science to work out which subway stop is best for Pier 78.

The rest is simple, as you will see our last sop of the day, before returning to Brooklyn, was Central Park...

RichardinCentralParkcopySolentRichard_zps03305ef0.jpg

Hope that helps.

Just looked at my New York Guise book.

It should be easier to get to Pier 78 than it was for us to get to the start of the High Line Walk.

We repeated the journey on a Christmas Queen Mary 2 New York Stopover...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2013/09/25/one-way-to-do-new-york-christmas-edition/

Once again visiting Central Park in order that my wife could visit Balto's Statue...

9773895536_df5d106799_z.jpg

Thanks

Mike and Lyn

Good morning Mike.

My wife and I have often done the same back to back that you are about to do.

On each occasion we use the New York Subway. Here is a review of mine in which I describe how we got across to Manhattan in pretty good time...

Of course you may have a different objective and just need to adjust which subway station you want for your specific needs.

As you will see, we were on West 14 Street, sipping coffee by 8.00 am.

On another occasion we took a different set of criteria but the same subway route...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2013/09/25/one-way-to-do-new-york-christmas-edition/

We ended up in the Grand Central concourse Oyster bar for what proved and excellent lunch...

9773872215_591a55e61d_z.jpg

For what it's worth, the walk back to the ship from Carroll Street subway station passes a number of excellent neighbourhood stores: very handy for topping up on those essentials that maybe aren't included onboard.

I'm planning a new review of New York where I will show how easy it wis to get to the 9/11 memorial and the 'One World Tower'.

I hope this will prove useful.

They have a shuttle bus, and is only for those people doing the B2B, and runs once (about7.30am) from the ship to Macy's and then back again at about 4pm. Cost is about$50 each return.

The ship won’tleave without it

We went on the shuttlebus a few years ago. Unfortunately, due to some UN event, it took three hours to get off the ship and through immigration as the officials were needed elsewhere, so we only had half an hour at Macys. To be fair Cunard did refund us the cost of the shuttle.

I'm planning a new review of New York where I will show how easy it wis to get to the 9/11 memorial and the 'One World Tower'.

I hope this will prove useful.

Solent Richard ~

Next time you're coming off the QM2 at Red Hook, do give the new ferry a try; I think you'll be delighted with it. The Red Hook ferry slip is right next to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal. The trip is incredibly convenient, pleasant, scenic, and inexpensive, and the major sights of Lower Manhattan are just steps away as you disembark from the ferry at Pier 11 (virtually at the foot of Wall Street) on the East River. A number of nearby subway stations in Lower Manhattan make access to midtown from there quite easy as well.

If you haven't yet done so, take a look at the thread (on the East Coast board) linked below, which includes a number of photos as well as links to several recent videos shot when the QM2 was in port.

Cheers!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2519678

We are planning on doing the BTB next year and as we will only have a few hours in NYC what are your opinions on the best things to see and do while we are there given it's such a short timeline? We want to fit in as much as poss so shopping isn't something we are interested in, it's more the sights we are wanting.

We are planning on doing the BTB next year and as we will only have a few hours in NYC what are your opinions on the best things to see and do while we are there given it's such a short timeline? We want to fit in as much as poss so shopping isn't something we are interested in, it's more the sights we are wanting.

Well only you can decide what your limit in sightseeing is,

Its impossible to see all of Manhattan in a day.

With the new NY Ferry now available from RedHook Cruise terminal, May I suggest 9/11 Memorial and St Paul's Chapel

from there if you have time left catch the subway to Central Park or Walk the High Line. You may prefer a trip up The Empire State Building although beware of Queues or Grand Central Station and the Oyster Bar, remember the whispering Arch.

You can walk in to the ground floor of The Chrysler Building , then there is the Rockefeller Top of the Rock.

All depends on your interests.

Edited by Pennbank

I'd have posted the same list of suggestions, with the exception that I haven't been able to bring myself to visit the WTC memorial yet. You can also visit 'the Charging Bull' on Wall Street, which I might do on the way to the High Line. I might walk north to it's end, then walk over to Times Square. At that point you could walk through Rockefeller Center, and if you're energetic, continue walking north to Central Park. When you're tuckered out you can catch a subway back to Wall Street and catch the return ferry.

While the ferry is incredibly convenient, what I particularly like about it is the chance to approach the Queen Mary by water, which gives you some tremendous views of her.

My suggestion

1. Ferry to Manhattan Pier 11
  2. Cab to 9/11 Memorial and optional, Museum
  3. Walk to nearby Chambers/Fulton St subway. Buy Metrocard for 2 rides.
  4. Take 4 or 5 train to Grand Central Terminal
  5. Exit and see the glorious Grand Central Station.
  6. Optional lunch at the Oyster Bar (counter).
  7. Take subway shuttle to Times Square
  8. Walk five blocks up Broadway through Times Square to 49th St, turn east (right) to Rockefeller Center & Radio City Music Hall (Optional lunch at Juniors Deli on 45th)
  9. If time permits, explore 5th Avenue (optional St. Patrick's Cathedral)
  10. Cab back to Pier 11
  11. Ferry Back

Obviously, adding all the options would take too much time, but this should be doable and takes in many of the prime NY sights. (9/11, Wall St, Grand Central Station, Broadway, Times Square, Rockefeller Center & Radio City Music Hall, Fifth Ave, St Patrick's Cathedral, and a knockout view of both Manhattan and the ship (and the Statue of Liberty) from the water.

Edited by MarkBearSF