Hull art..do you like it or not?

marco

Whilst on a a recent cruise, folks were talking about the hull art. Comments ranged from "tacky and "cheesy" to "cool" and "fanciful". Personally.....I didn't care one way or the other, other then when it port with several other ships, it was pretty easy to pick out the one we were on. What's your take on it?

I like it....adds character. To me, ships look so utilitarian and clinical without some sort of design...some Carnival ships for example.

Here's the Norwegian Sun before she got her makeup...

sun-no-makeup.jpg

Edited by triptolemus

I like it....adds character. To me, ships look so utilitarian and clinical without some sort of design...some Carnival ships for example.

Here's the Norwegian Sun before she got her makeup...

sun-no-makeup.jpg

And here is the Sun with her hull art - - love it :)

41b0c65a-e6f1-4b56-8a4a-7c6655858fe8_zpscf7a82b4.jpg

Some hull art is better than others. The ships I like best have simple, classy hull art. I've always thought the Sun's hull art was just about perfect, and the best in NCL's fleet. The POA and Sky also have nice hull art. I'm not so keen about the rest.

I find the hull art a bit gaudy. Doesn't change my desire to sail with NCL however! Once you're on the ship you don't notice it as much! :)

I agree, I go back and forth between HAL and NCL and most on the HAL board find it to be extremely tacky. What is funny is that when you are actually on the ship you do NOT see the Hull Artwork. But I have to admit the more Norwegian Cruises I have done the more I actually like the Hull Artwork. It goes along with the Happy mood I am always in while I am on an NCL ship :D

IMHO, art appreciation is always in the eye of the beholder.

Not all kinds of art are 'appreciated' by all. To call it tacky, again IMHO, reeks of ignorance and non-acceptance of others and their taste.

I like the hull art, some more than others but that is also I feel the same about some great works of art by the masters. :)

OP, good conversation starter!!!

Edited by Cruisercl

I love it! We cruised on the Sun right before she got her art, and I was sad we hadn't booked a later sailing.

I agree, I go back and forth between HAL and NCL and most on the HAL board find it to be extremely tacky. What is funny is that when you are actually on the ship you do NOT see the Hull Artwork. But I have to admit the more Norwegian Cruises I have done the more I actually like the Hull Artwork. It goes along with the Happy mood I am always in while I am on an NCL ship :D
Lisa, our next cruise is on HAL, and I'm afraid I'm going to miss that "Happy" mood you described. :D I always get that, too, on every NCL cruise.

I love it! We cruised on the Sun right before she got her art, and I was sad we hadn't booked a later sailing.

Lisa, our next cruise is on HAL, and I'm afraid I'm going to miss that "Happy" mood you described. :D I always get that, too, on every NCL cruise.

You will enjoy the Eurodam, if you like Asian food do not miss going to Tamarind. As for the Happy mood, I will admit it is not NCL :o But a lot of a cruise is what you make of it yourself. The crew can be fun on HAL but you will miss the Washy Washy guys and gals :D

For those that do not like the Hull Art Work I ask.... how often are you looking at the Hull Artwork during your cruise:confused: It really does not affect the great crew, the entertainment and the food. While I too love the classy look of those dark hulled ships, I much prefer the HAPPY Mood on board Norwegian :)

Like any art, I like some and not others. I think the BA is terrible, and the GA barely tolerable. I like what I see for Escape, except that sailfish looks like a big dark square unless you're up close. I think the more subtle abstracts are my favorites, like the Epic and Dawn. The Jewel class and the Spirit are a bit too busy for my liking, however.

IMHO, art appreciation is always in the eye of the beholder.

Not all kinds of art are 'appreciated' by all. To call it tacky, again IMHO, reeks of ignorance and non-acceptance of others and their taste.

I like the hull art, some more than others but that is also I feel the same about some great works of art by the masters. :)

OP, good conversation starter!!!

I'm chuckling...

IMHO art appreciation IS ALWAYS in the eyes of the beholder. To suggest that in my eyes I perceive a piece of art to be less than amazing (ie: tacky or gaudy) when said art is perceived by someone else as lovely or creative doesn't mean that my opinion means I am being ignorant or unappreciative of others. I was simply stating my own art interpretation - nothing more nothing less! That doesn't take away from your opportunity to say otherwise. Please don't assume I'm insulting you when I don't share your opinion, or worse declare that I am ignorant because I don't share your observations about a piece of art. That's the "beauty" of art - thank goodness there is such a wonderfully rich and diverse, and I would dare say infinite range of art for everyone to love, hate, enjoy, or reject.

I still say the hull art is somewhat gaudy (IMHAO: in my humble art opinion)! :)

Some hull art is better than others. The ships I like best have simple, classy hull art. I've always thought the Sun's hull art was just about perfect, and the best in NCL's fleet. The POA and Sky also have nice hull art. I'm not so keen about the rest.

Agreed. I liked NCL's hull art until they came out with Breakaway/Getaway. :(

Nope do not like the " Hull Art" I prefer clean hulls. Keep artwork on walls . :cool:That said I have never sailed on NCL but have noted their ships in the ports we have visited with other cruise lines. We have booked on the Dawn for October so the { in my words }tacky looking art did not offend me enough to eschew the line. Everybody finds art subjective. :) and perhaps I will find when I am on the ship that I can find some merit in Hull art.:D