What keeps you coming back to Oceania?

chrismch

The people. The friends we have made. The staff and officers we've met, even the executives, who are real people. The last cruise we were on was like a reunion, yet we still made new friends.

And, the ships -- perfectly maintained, beautiful, the right size, with what we consider great policies -- open dining, casual but nice dress, restricted smoking...

And, contrary to so many, the entertainment. The Jean Ann Ryan singers and dancers, the professional cabaret performers, the string quartets and the great show bands.

In addition to what Hondorner says...for us it is also the beautiful OS. We can be out on the back deck without anyone watching. We can just lie there and enjoy the ocean. We are sooo accustomed to our old time butlers, mostly Pritam and then Sandeep. We feel like we are coming home.

We're anticipating only our second O cruise, but based on our first, some things are really clear: a staff who really cares, not just goes through the motions. An aura of class and refinement. Lack of nickel-and-dime. The luxury of a floating art museum.

The size of the ships, lack of formal nights, included specialty dining, excellent staff, port intensive itineraries, permission to bring local wines on board to drink in our cabin, local tourist office reps on board to answer questions.

In addition to the above mentioned reasons, which I would agree with, my feelings are probably unique.

I had a medical emergency. The way the staff reacted and the care I received in the infirmary were fantastic, as was the follow up. ($3600.00, reimbursed by my medical coverage) Arrangements were quickly made by the concierge staff for an early departure and return home, with wheelchairs waiting at each mode of transportation. Reimbursement ($8000.00) quickly made by my trip interruption insurance, (RBC) with any and all assistance provided by Oceania concierge staff.

All the above except for Candyapple situation and one more thing.

When we were delayed for 3 hours getting to Barbados due to an emergency medical evacuation, the Concierge contacted the tour operator and called all our rooms to say the Tour operator would wait for us.

What makes that stand out? It was a private tour, arranged on our Roll Call, not an Oceania tour.

CJ

Edited by cruisingxpert

We just returned from a Baltics cruise on the Marina. Due to an airline delay, we arrived just in time before we set sail. We were exhausted, but went to the GDR for an early dinner in our traveling clothes, which were presentable, clean jeans. The maître gently informed us that jeans would only be allowed on the first/embarkation day, but not thereafter. Am I missing something?

Btw, we had a wonderful trip on the Marina!

We just returned from a Baltics cruise on the Marina. Due to an airline delay, we arrived just in time before we set sail. We were exhausted, but went to the GDR for an early dinner in our traveling clothes, which were presentable, clean jeans. The maître gently informed us that jeans would only be allowed on the first/embarkation day, but not thereafter. Am I missing something?

"Dressy jeans" are OK -- standard blue jeans are not permitted

Paul -- you are a bad boy -- now we have a dress code thread. LOL

Edited by pacheco18

"Dressy jeans" are OK -- standard blue jeans are not permitted

Paul -- you are a bad boy -- now we have a dress code thread. LOL

I hate to perpetuate this, but I thought I'd ask- what are thoughts on relatively casual non-jeans and shirts (e.g. Eddie Bauer travel pants and button-down shirts in non-crazy-prints)? I'm actually finding myself slightly worried about Oceania norms, because "elegant casual" is not super descriptive, and I don't want to offend anyone with delicate sensibilities.

Edited by MrOZ

I hate to perpetuate this, but I thought I'd ask- what are thoughts on relatively casual non-jeans and shirts (e.g. Eddie Bauer travel pants and button-down shirts in non-crazy-prints)? I'm actually finding myself slightly worried about Oceania norms, because "elegant casual" is not super descriptive, and I don't want to offend anyone with delicate sensibilities.

You will look maahvelous

Can we end this right here????? Please!

The comment from Paul was a joke or a wind up :D

I have not seen those slacks before ....I see a shopping trip in my future

Thanks for sharing

The slacks will work fine...the shirt ok for daytime

Edited by LHT28

I have not seen those slacks before ....I see a shopping trip in my future

Thanks for sharing

The slacks will work fine...the shirt ok for daytime

I looked at a pair of these pants the other day at the EB store. They looked much too much like fishing pants for me to wear to dinner. Of course I've seen plenty of those at dinner as well as cargo pants, neither of which I would consider acceptable for evening dinner in the MDR or specialties.

Oh wait, we weren't going to make this a dress code thread, were we?;)

It was meant as a joke but looks like a wind up :D

In any case jean or no jeans -- NO FORMAL NIGHTS..

Bad enough I have to were a suit to work. I don't need to on my holiday!!!!

Another amazing thing -- is that the staff remembers you from past cruises... (the real amazing thing is that they staff reups from contract to contract)

Yea! So it's ok to wear my bib overalls in the dining room. At least that is what Paul says. So I will be packing them for the trip this weekend. See yall in england

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I looked at a pair of these pants the other day at the EB store. They looked much too much like fishing pants for me to wear to dinner.

Ok so will have to go look in person then decide

DH has Dockers he wears for dinner or sometimes a pr of dress slacks

Thanks for the heads up

Lyn

Why I chose Oceania for my first cruise and my second...

• Food. I know the OP wanted to eliminate this from discussion, but it is a major factor for me. When you're out on the ocean, you can't call a local restaurant for take out.
  • Small ships. I didn't want to be on a floating city.
  • Itineraries. Nice mix of port days and sea days.
  • No formal nights. Formal nights are so last century! Not going to lug evening dress even if airlines allowed steamer trunks.
  • Quiet, calm environment. No endless announcements, no loud music, no huge on-deck TVs. Just blissful peace and quiet.
  • Tasteful onboard activities. No Hairy Chest contests.
  • Friendly, attentive staff. Nice to see many of the same staff on both cruises.
  • Friendly, well-behaved passengers. Courteous during embarks/debarks and on excursions. No drunks lurching noisily through hallways. No "Loud Harolds."
  • Well-managed itinerary changes during cruise. My first cruise with Oceania was during Hurricane Sandy. The itinerary changed several times, including skipping Bermuda altogether and staying in Canada, plus a change to the final debarkation port. The Captain and the Destination Services crew handled this very well.

I hope to sail again with Oceania in the near future.

We've booked our first Oceania cruise, 14 days -Caribbean- on the Regatta. I HATE to ask but-- my husband wore his Tommy Bahama shirts to dinner on Regent in the Caribbean. He wears these shirts to our club with silk pants so that says country club casual to me. They really look better to us than a plain button down and khakis --just our opinion! Or should I get some Brooks Bros. short sleeve button downs? Or is Elegant casual a sport coat? I always wear tunics or silk shirts and white pants.

Sorry to rock the boat (HA) but we like to fit in and go with the flow!

Debi

Edited by debijaynes
forgot a line