A Comment About Kids

Twocoasts

Just returned from 10 days on Insignia. Wonderful first time Oceania experience (which I'll review later).

I did, however, want to post about kids since that has been a hot topic here. There were several families and extended families on our cruise with kids ranging from about 5 to college students. I never saw a single one of these kids behave badly, be rude, run around the pool deck, etc. what I saw were loving families enjoying quality time together, showing their children how to behave in fine dining venues (which they did beautifully) and see the world.

In fact, the only rude behavior I witnessed was from the more (ahem) experienced cruisers.

Just an observation from someone who doesn't have children.

Thank you for your impression of your trip. The fact is that Oceania does not provide any children's programs, babysitting, kids pools, etc.... it is an adult focused cruise line. There are a number of cruise lines that are 'kid friendly' and a family seeking a great vacation experience would be much better served booking on these lines.

Twocoasts

Thanks for you impression's. Sounds like you had a good mix on your trip. We enjoy seeing a cross section of age onboard including families and children. On our last trip everyone looked just like me, I am 67. Glad you had fun !!

Just returned from 10 days on Insignia. Wonderful first time Oceania experience (which I'll review later).

I did, however, want to post about kids since that has been a hot topic here. There were several families and extended families on our cruise with kids ranging from about 5 to college students. I never saw a single one of these kids behave badly, be rude, run around the pool deck, etc. what I saw were loving families enjoying quality time together, showing their children how to behave in fine dining venues (which they did beautifully) and see the world.

In fact, the only rude behavior I witnessed was from the more (ahem) experienced cruisers.

You were either just lucky or are extremely tolerant. Noxequifans got it right, Oceania is not meant for kids and others have had the opposite experience

which is areal shame.

That has been our experience also when on Oceania

Glad you enjoyed the cruise

Lyn

There are specific cruises that are setaside for specific groups, singles, families, children, adventurers etc. Oceania is set aside for adults.

Taking kids on such an adult ship is like boys being signed up to join Girl scouts. You can do it I suppose but is it productive?

With so many choices and options choosing Oceania is clearly without care for the feelings of others. Respect goes both ways and clearly a family from 5 years to older should have had the manners to respect that.

Adults need their space

Seeing a 5 year old being introduced to fine dining is laughable....kids need to be kids not little adults.

Thrusting them into inappropriate environments is the fault of the parents who fail to grasp the reality of what they are doing and the disservice to the child or children as well as those forced to endure them.

"Seeing a 5 year old being introduced to fine dining is laughable....kids need to be kids not little adults.

Thrusting them into inappropriate environments is the fault of the parents who fail to grasp the reality of what they are doing and the disservice to the child or children as well as those forced to endure them."

------

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. These kids didn't look miserable at all. And there is nothing wrong with brining well behaved kids to nice restaurants or the theater or the symphony--as well as kid friendly places where they can just be kids. My parents had me at the symphony and the ballet when I was 5--and parks and the zoo and Disneyland.

I'm not suggesting O should introduce a kid's program or start marketing to families. I just want people to know that the right O cruise with the right itinerary can be a great family experience and not interfere with others' relaxation.

I have to agree that it can depend on the 5 year old. When I was 5 my parents took me to nice (I won't say "fine") restaurants because they knew I would behave myself. I loved being in a "real restaurant", dressed in my Sunday best.

A friend whose oldest daughter loved escargot at age 3 is another example. (I have to say that this girl was spoiled rotten but she never threw tantrums in a restaurant!)

But many children that age, no, they don't belong in a fine restaurant. Or on Oceania. You do have to know your child.

Mura

We started our children at the age of 3 going to fine dining. They knew what was acceptable behaviour and what was not. We have traveled with them since they were babies. Again, if they acted up we removed them from the situation so as not to disturb others. When I went shopping with them when they were little, if they started to act up, we left out of consideration to others. In most cases while onboard ships, including family friendly ones, it is the parents fault for allowing bad behaviour to be exhibited and permitting it to continue. The parents need lessons on common courtesy to others.

Meanwhile I will agree that there are some well traveled passengers who could do with some lessons on manners as well. I have encountered on Oceania and other ships adult passengers who behaved worse than a screaming two year old.

I have sailed with my 2 granddaughters (now 11 and 8) several times. They are well-heeled, well-behaved experienced cruisers who have never needed a Kids Club or planned activities to enjoy the cruise. I wouldn't hesitate in a heartbeat to take them on an Oceania cruise. But that's because I know ( and they know) what behavior is expected.

Not everybody thinks that way.

But, I agree.. the small percentage of families with kids I have sailed with on O always were well-behaved.

Except... those with infants and toddlers. :mad: Those little darlin's should just be left home.

Last trip on the Marina, we had a mommy who insisted on spending the afternoon dipping her naked baby in the pool and the hot tub, like coloring an Easter egg.

We complained several times and finally they disappeared from pool side. :rolleyes:

There are specific cruises that are setaside for specific groups, singles, families, children, adventurers etc. Oceania is set aside for adults.

Taking kids on such an adult ship is like boys being signed up to join Girl scouts. You can do it I suppose but is it productive?

With so many choices and options choosing Oceania is clearly without care for the feelings of others. Respect goes both ways and clearly a family from 5 years to older should have had the manners to respect that.

Adults need their space

Seeing a 5 year old being introduced to fine dining is laughable....kids need to be kids not little adults.

Thrusting them into inappropriate environments is the fault of the parents who fail to grasp the reality of what they are doing and the disservice to the child or children as well as those forced to endure them.

You show such disdain towards well behaved children.

Just got off the Regatta with my well behaved 7 year old grandchild. There were 14 children on board and all were well behaved except for another multi-generation family that Laraine seemed to have the pleasure of running into them.

Not all children need children's programs, babysitters, a pool for children etc.

There are children that enjoy playing bingo, trivia and chess as my grandson did.

When my children were young my husband and I took them on many cruises and land trips in Europe that did not have children's programs.

The staff and crew on Oceania were wonderful to the children on board. If Oceania really does not want children on board...there would be a policy in place.

The cruise director arranged for an ice cream social with the Captain for all the children on board.

Edited by juli2020

You show such disdain towards well behaved children.

Just got off the Regatta with my well behaved 7 year old grandchild. There were 14 children on board and all were well behaved except for another multi-generation family that Laraine seemed to have the pleasure of running into them.

Not all children need children's programs, babysitters, a pool for children etc.

There are children that enjoy playing bingo, trivia and chess as my grandson did.

When my children were young my husband and I took them on many cruises and land trips in Europe that did not have children's programs.

The staff and crew on Oceania were wonderful to the children on board. If Oceania really does not want children on board...there would be a policy in place.

The cruise director arranged for an ice cream social with the Captain for all the children on board.

Agree largely with Julie and agree that her grandson was perfectly well behaved as were the other "older" children.

Children ages 2, 3, and 5 in the Specialties screaming and throwing food was the problem. At that age you cannot reason with them (not that the adults with them even tried). They are just too young to be on board IMO. If they are going to be permitted to be on board, I think Oceania needs to impose a minimum age for dining in the Specialty restaurants. 6 or 7 would be fine with me. At that age a child can be spoken to and made to understand proper behavior. Toddlers? No way Just ask the staff in Toscana who had to clean up the mess they left. It was a disaster for fellow cruisers dining in the specialties and for the staff. Simply unfair to all (even to the toddlers)

You do have to know your child.

Mura

Have you ever met a parent who doesn't think his or her child is well behaved? LOL

Unfortunately Oceania cannot depend on the "good sense" of the adults traveling with toddlers. And there is no way to vet behavior of anyone in advance. Oceania needs to make some sensible rules so that toddlers do not ruin a meal for the vast majority of passengers who are paying adults and expect some modicum of "peace" while enjoying fine dining.

Mmm ... why am I thinking about Lake Woebegon were all the children are "above average"?

Seriously, Oceania has a great product. I hope the attemps to chip away at it and redesign it into something else do not succeed.

People are very aware of the disruptions that "kids being kids" can cause. There is a welcoming place for them on other cruise lines.

Mmm ... why am I thinking about Lake Woebegon were all the children are "above average"?

Seriously, Oceania has a great product. I hope the attemps to chip away at it and redesign it into something else do not succeed.

People are very aware of the disruptions that "kids being kids" can cause. There is a welcoming place for them on other cruise lines.

Oceania sets the policy for their ships. They could very well set the age at 18,21 or leave it at I believe 1. If you feel strongly about it you should wright or call them, not expect people to invent their owne policy and self enforce it. As long as oceania takes their money you will see them on the ship.

Have you ever met a parent who doesn't think his or her child is well behaved? LOL

True enough! :D But there are parents even today who DO know ... perhaps fewer than when most of us were that age. I know that my parents knew my sister and I would behave in those circumstances because we knew the price we would pay for not doing so!

I just cannot imagine parents ignoring food fights in a restaurant. (It can't be very pleasant for them either.) But I'd be so embarrassed that I'd be gone in a flash.

Mura

Mura, with your child under your arm:D

I would have had my child out of that restaurant so fast and they would have spent the rest of the night and the next day eating in the cabin so as to learn what was acceptable and unacceptable behaviour in the dining room. Both of our children became the head waiters favourites and he used to bring out treats for them each meal. I felt it was unfair to the adults at the table because sometimes the treats were better than what was on the menu.:eek:

I will also state that both of my children knew what was acceptable behaviour before they boarded the ship and knew that if they misbehaved that would be the last holiday they ever went on with us.

NoFuss, exactly!

And not having had children myself, it's easy to feel superior :o

(I did babysit a lot as a teen, though, which may give me a little cred.)

I remember that neighbors of ours (when my sister and I were, say, 6-8) had a restaurant of their own. We often went there and my sister was known as "Potato Chips" because that was all she would eat ... But the owners just LOVED her.

Whereas I ... Ah well, she's thin and I am not! (Despite her love of potato chips.)

Mura

You were either just lucky or are extremely tolerant. Noxequifans got it right, Oceania is not meant for kids and others have had the opposite experience

which is areal shame.

Wow, you don't like the red ginger sea bass and/or children. Oceania does not have any activities for children as we know but these parents on the Insignia were adults with well behaved children. No running about the ships corridors or screaming in the pool. There were several adults who should have been on time out, though. This was a port intensive itinerary and even kids wear out being on tours all day long. It was nice to also see younger people onboard.

I adore babies and toddlers but I do despair sometimes when I see parents trying to fit their cute little round pegs into the square holes of unsuitable environments. I can't see why a 5 year old couldn't enjoy a fine dining experience if that's how they'd been brought up but I doubt a toddler could feel the benefit.

Infants need a lot of attention and they should be getting that from their families. I bet the well behaved children on board had families who engaged with them frequently and calmly. If I was dining in a speciality restaurant I wouldn't want to be entertaining a toddler at the same time no matter how much I adored him or her.

Small children need looking after and if you bring them on a line that doesn't go out of it's way to entertain them the looking after is all down to you and so is the responsibility for their good behaviour. If that would be your pleasure I see no problem.