The Value of Cruise Insurance

Jimbo59

We needed to cancel a Celebrity cruise because of the illness of a family member. We were past the final payment date and in the penalty phase. We had Celebrity's Cruise Care Policy which covers the sickness or injury to an “Immediate Family Member which includes your or the Traveling Companion's spouse, child, spouse's child, son-daughter-in-law, parent(s), sibling(s), grandparent(s), grandchild, step brother-sister, step-parent(s), parent(s)-in-law, brother-sister-in-law, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew, Domestic Partner, or ward."

We received a partial refund from Celebrity for (I assume) some taxes and fees. The balance was refunded by the insurance carrier.

This is not a blanket endorsement of the Celebrity Cruise Care product. We selected it prior to the cruise because of the "Cancel for Any Reason" provision, and I would probably use this product again. Read the policy and make sure it meets your needs.

These are many good insurance plans available. See <www.squaremouth.com>

Sorry for needing to cancel the cruise. I know that can be very disappointing.

We ALWAYS book cruise insurance! Stuff happens that may not allow you to proceed with cruise plans. Twice we have had to cancel after final payment due to significant medical issues/surgery. Neither of these times we related to a known preexisting medical condition.

Things can also occur when you are on the ship or shore excursion. Some people have required airlifting (helicopter) from ship to a land hospital. THAT is very expensive!

We do not book our insurance through the cruise line however as we want to cover airfare, non-refundable reservations for flights and private tours, etc. On both of the above circumstances....we got all our $$ back except for the price of the insurance.

You are correct, the $$ you got back from Celebrity was taxes and fees. You would also get any prepayments for beverage packages, specialty dining, excursions/tours.

We've purchased insurance for years now and does somewhat surprise me when others don't. That is their choice for sure, so not judging them but maybe they just haven't thought about how much money would be lost if something goes wrong.

I understand that someone might be willing to lose the $3500 they paid for a cruise but what about if something happens while in a foreign country or out at sea? We were recently on a cruise where somebody was in dire need of a blood transfusion. They had to airlift him off the boat while we were at sea. My sister had to be airlifted from the San Juan Islands to a trauma center in Seattle, which was a much shorter trip, and the cost was $24,000 all told.

I can only imagine flying this passenger all the way back to San Diego, which was at least 90-120 min flight, would be nearly double that. I can't even imagine trying to pay for that out of pocket.

I am way in the red when considering how many times I bought vs using insurance .... but of course, there was that one time. I came down with acute appendicitis right before my trip. Was glad to have the insurance that time around.

I take medical coverage, but not cancellation. The cost of cancellation insurance seems to be excessive to me, getting close to 7-8% of the cost of a trip. I've taken enough cruises to have saved enough in premiums to make up for a loss if one occurs.

You still get a refund for Celebrity for prepaid stuff like beverage packages and shore excursions and port taxes even if you don't have insurance. It's just the cruise fare and travel expenses that are uncovered.

If you can absorb the cost of a lost vacation without any problems...then you don't need it. If it would hurt your pocketbook...then buy it.

Since trip insurance averages usually about 10% the cost of the trip, if you have one claim in ten cruises you break even. Those sound like good odds to me.

Last May, American Airlines cancelled the flight in to our market due to weather so we couldn't catch our flight out in the morning because there was no plane. They re-booked us to land in the port city hours after the ship departed.

We wound up being an unexpected no show. Besides being extremely frustrated and disappointed, we were finally reimbursed the cost of the cruise, a non refundable hotel room and a return flight on another airline.

So it worked/s for us.

Another reason I buy trip insurance is because my DW is a manager who's vacation will be cancelled if a hurricane is predicted to come close to our coastal city. The policy I purchase will cover that cancellation. It is the only way she will let me book a cruise during hurricane season which lasts from June 1st thru November 30th.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

I take medical coverage, but not cancellation. The cost of cancellation insurance seems to be excessive to me, getting close to 7-8% of the cost of a trip. I've taken enough cruises to have saved enough in premiums to make up for a loss if one occurs.

You still get a refund for Celebrity for prepaid stuff like beverage packages and shore excursions and port taxes even if you don't have insurance. It's just the cruise fare and travel expenses that are uncovered.

It is not only the cost related to cancelling the trip, it also covers an emergency return if needed. My father in law was killed in a car accident while we were on a cruise. I had to throw my credit card on the counter and buy 4 regularly priced one way tickets back to Canada. After all the services, I then had to return to NYC to get my vehicle that I had left parked on the pier.

Yes, I would have paid for it one way or another, tragic as it was, I was happy to have the full amount refunded by our insurance.

Edited by monicajay

Many credit cards include trip cancellation of a cruise, flight or excursion due to illness or medical emergency so check your cards coverage before booking.

Our Master card gives us 21 days out of country free medical coverage up to age 65 and we bumped it to 35 days for an additional $37.00 which also includes evacuation and medical fees up to 5 million.

Though we are only talking Canadian dollars.

We have had friends who cancelled a cruise due to a an extended family member falling ill and the card reimbursed them.

Risk can be reduced at minimal cost.

Celebrity Cruise Care insurance cost me less than 5% of the total cruise cost. It also included the "cancel for any reason" future credit.

Since trip insurance averages usually about 10% the cost of the trip, if you have one claim in ten cruises you break even. Those sound like good odds to me.

We have done 34 cruises with no problems but......

llness, Natural Disasters Derail Travel for One in Six Americans

Only 22% Had Travel Insurance,

Survey Finds

One in six Americans (17%) say their travel plans have been impacted by medical conditions, natural disasters including severe weather; or mechanical or carrier-caused problems, according to a recent survey for the US Travel Insurance Association.

Between spring of 2012 and fall of 2013, travelers have had to cancel or interrupt their travel plans, or had their trip delayed for one or more of the following reasons, generally covered by travel insurance:

 Medical conditions such as illness or injury;

 Severe weather like storms, hurricanes and blizzards;

 Delays of 3 or more hours due to mechanical and other problems experienced by an

airline or cruise line.

One out of Five had Travel Insurance

Slightly more than one out of five —or 22%-- of those whose travel plans were impacted, had travel insurance, the survey revealed. Among the impacted group who purchased travel insurance, households with children (33%) and 18 – 34 year-olds (30%) were the largest single demographic groups. Notably, 85% of impacted travelers who had travel insurance said they were satisfied with their purchase.

Who is Likely to Purchase Travel Insurance

Consistent with a UStiA survey conducted in 2012, younger Americans (29%) and those earning $50,000 (25%) or more remain the most likely to purchase travel insurance.

Edited by baldercash

Jimbo59, you're not an insurance salesman perhaps?:)

My husband and I were in Rome with plans to board start as cruise the next day. Unfortunately, he passed away one day before he cruise. Thank goodness for insurance not only were all costs covered but the support they offered was invaluable. I am Canadian the Consulate was incredible. Insurance is very important. Just remember some rules change after you turn 65 i.e. only 3 days covered by credit card not 14.

Also I do agree cancellation insurance rates are way too high, they are higher than the annual fee we pay for the contents of our condo, which is much higher than the price of a cruise. I have checked around they are all high.

So even at the high cost, worth it.

When I was young, we never took insurance. Thinking we are healthy and nothing will happen to us!

We were fortunate, and nothing ever caused us to miss a cruise or need medical attention.

Now we are in our 60's. We have elderly parents. For this reason, we make sure to buy cancelation insurance.

Last year we paid in full a 2 week cruise in New Zealand. Plus 2 weeks touring the islands. Two weeks before we were to leave, my 93 year old mother fell and broke her pelvis. Being the only child, it was my responsibility to care for her. We had to cancel our trip.

I had to have doctors signatures, hospital records, etc available to the insurance company, (not cruise company insurance, outside insurance).

The entire trip was covered. We are thankful we weren't out many thousands of dollars.

Not taking insurance is a gamble. Most times you are fine, it's the occasional odd time you may need it.

And one medivac could cost $50,000 to $100,000.

Agreed. It's simplistic to make a cost benefit analysis. Of course insurance companies "win" in the great majority of instances. Otherwise, they wouldn't be in business.

What a passenger buys is peace of mind, and protection against not just relatively minor claims (cruise cancellation, baggage loss, etc.), but you are protected (up to a certain amount, ours is 1 mil) against the larger claims, such as medevac.

Jimbo59, you're not an insurance salesman perhaps?:)

No, I was just reporting on my experience. See my first post for the list of family members covered.

The insurance company claim form was easy to fill out. It took about 4 weeks to receive my refund.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

We (DH, two sons and myself) have booked a RT Alaskan Cruise from Vancouver and will be adding a couple of days in Vancouver. My sons are concerned that they may have late conflicts with work or school, which would prevent them from going on the trip. We are looking for travel insurance that would provide the most money back with cancellations for any reason.

My husband and I are in NY, so some companies (such as CSA) will not provide "cancel for any reason" coverage. My sons are in PA and FL and may not have this issue.

The agent who booked the cruise recommended we check Travel Guard, CSA, Travelex and Access America. I have started to make calls or look online for comparisons, but would like advice.

1. Is there any insurance that provides 100% back?

2. Which company have people found gives the most back and allows cancellation for work reasons and school reasons?

3. When I ask for quotes, should I be including the cost of Celebrity excursions? I will also be adding in the cost of airfare to/from Vancouver, but assume I don't need to include the Vancouver hotel since we should be able to cancel it according to the hotel policy. Please confirm that I am correct in these thoughts.

We have been trying to use comparisons websites but still find we need to call for further details. I am glad that I have found out that the rates will be different for one son, who lives in PA, and the other son, who lives in FL.

Any and all advice is appreciated! Unfortunately, I found out today that I need to buy the insurance in the next couple of days (we booked on Feb. 18th and I have pre-existing condition), so I am hoping to get advice soon.

Thank you!!

Hi,

We (DH, two sons and myself) have booked a RT Alaskan Cruise from Vancouver and will be adding a couple of days in Vancouver. My sons are concerned that they may have late conflicts with work or school, which would prevent them from going on the trip. We are looking for travel insurance that would provide the most money back with cancellations for any reason.

My husband and I are in NY, so some companies (such as CSA) will not provide "cancel for any reason" coverage. My sons are in PA and FL and may not have this issue.

The agent who booked the cruise recommended we check Travel Guard, CSA, Travelex and Access America. I have started to make calls or look online for comparisons, but would like advice.

1. Is there any insurance that provides 100% back?

2. Which company have people found gives the most back and allows cancellation for work reasons and school reasons?

3. When I ask for quotes, should I be including the cost of Celebrity excursions? I will also be adding in the cost of airfare to/from Vancouver, but assume I don't need to include the Vancouver hotel since we should be able to cancel it according to the hotel policy. Please confirm that I am correct in these thoughts.

We have been trying to use comparisons websites but still find we need to call for further details. I am glad that I have found out that the rates will be different for one son, who lives in PA, and the other son, who lives in FL.

Any and all advice is appreciated! Unfortunately, I found out today that I need to buy the insurance in the next couple of days (we booked on Feb. 18th and I have pre-existing condition), so I am hoping to get advice soon.

Thank you!!

I suggest you contact Trip Insurance Store https://tripinsurancestore.com/ and explain your situation. I've used them numerous times and always get excelllent service and advice.