Help Please, Need Hotel In Rome Pre-Cruise

happy 2 b cruising

Have you thought about an apartment? My sister has booked one pre-cruise which looks great, has nearby cafes/restaurants and supermarkets. It is within walking distance of the Cistine Chapel and the Vatican and also the metro system.

She found it by putting Rome apartment Vatican City into her search engine.

It will help if we know just how much you are willing to spend.

Without that, I'll recommend the Grand Hotel de la Minerve. Right behind the Pantheon next to the Basilica di Santa Maria Sopra Minerve - a fantastic Gothic church. I've stayed there and it does have an elevator. But, it does not come cheap...

Edited by slidergirl

I've been looking at hotels for our cruise next May. My criteria is central Rome so we can walk to most things and want the price point to not go over $200/night if possible.

We know people who stayed at the Hotel Columbus. It is very reasonably priced. It is on the Vatican side of the river but within easy walking distance of many attractions.

I'm also considering the Hotel Madrid, Hotel Trevi, Hotel de Petris, Hotel Campo de Fiori and Hotel Navona, but it's too soon to see prices for most of these hotels. Most include breakfast and wi-fi.

I've been looking at hotels for our cruise next May. My criteria is central Rome so we can walk to most things and want the price point to not go over $200/night if possible.

We know people who stayed at the Hotel Columbus. It is very reasonably priced. It is on the Vatican side of the river but within easy walking distance of many attractions.

I'm also considering the Hotel Madrid, Hotel Trevi, Hotel de Petris, Hotel Campo de Fiori and Hotel Navona, but it's too soon to see prices for most of these hotels. Most include breakfast and wi-fi.

I'm leaving for Rome tonight and will be staying at Hotel Navona -- will try to remember to come back and give my thoughts....

I would not call a hotel across the river really central.

Have a look at Hotel Grifo. We spent 3 nights there recently and we were very happy with the location. It was a 10min walk to almost everything. Only time we took metro was to the Vatican, and even then we walked back (though it was a long walk). Wifi and a Nice breakfast included and 24/7 front desk. Small elevator also, though we only used it to bring our luggage up and down. The area has some wonderful restaurants and easy access to great gelato ;)

Edited by trophy_23

I'm leaving for Rome tonight and will be staying at Hotel Navona -- will try to remember to come back and give my thoughts....

I would not call a hotel across the river really central.

Lucky dog!!! I won't be able to go again until sometime next year :(

Have a great time!!!

We booked the Dream Station in Rome for a good price in November. It is a very funky looking bed and breakfast but its best feature is that it is just across the street from the main station in room. This should be good for coming from the airport a few days before the cruise and going to the port the day we sail.

Most hotels should be available to book now for May 2016 and I would not wait.

I most often book direct after using a search engine for availability and selection.

We just booked Hotel Lancelot for two nights post cruise next May. This place looks nice and gets excellent reviews by Rick Steves, tripadvisor and here on CC. We splurged and got a 6th floor terrace room with a view of the Colosseum (it's less than a 10 minute walk from the hotel to the Colosseum and to the nearest Metro stop) for about $235.00 per night. There are other rooms for less than that price. There is 24/7 front desk service, an elevator, wifi and buffet breakfast included in this price.

We also like that this location appears to be in a quiet area and within walking distance to many of the major attractions.

Enjoy your cruise and your stay in Rome. And have fun researching! I am already having so much fun planning all of this!

Check out IQ Hotel (and its reviews). We had a great 4 night stay there in May. Good location, good price, modern big rooms (for Europe), helpful staff, roof terrace, lots of restaurants in neighberhood. We booked private airport-hotel-cruise port transfers thru IQ--very prompt and competitively priced.

We stayed at Hotel Madrid near the Spanish steps 2 years ago. Location is pretty good but it is a very basic budget hotel. I would not recommend it unless your expectations are very low.

Above your price, but we stayed at the Albergo del Senato hotel next to the Pantheon last month. Fantastic hotel and location.

I'm staying at Hotel Navona now. It is a nice European-style hotel about a half block from Piazza Navona, located on the 2nd and 3rd floors of an old building (with Roman columns at the entrance). The rooms are smallish but well decorated and modern. Good A/C, good free wifi, and a small but very functional elevator. There is someone at the desk on the 2nd floor at all times (including 1:45 am, when I checked in on Sunday....)

I had read about this hotel in a British newspaper's list of great budget-friendly hotels in Rome, and they are not wrong. Do be aware that breakfast is not included, and costs an extra 10 euro. However, you are only steps from Piazza Navona and the Pantheon areas where there are dozens of places to grab a coffee and a roll, or there are markets where you can get something more substantial. The rooms do have mini-fridges and electric kettles.

Hope this helps. I am not usually in Rome at this time of year and was looking for a less-expensive hotel -- my usual choices are much more expensive in peak season than I wanted to pay. This hotel is a great alternative for those who want to be well located at a reasonable price.

I'm staying at Hotel Navona now. It is a nice European-style hotel about a half block from Piazza Navona, located on the 2nd and 3rd floors of an old building (with Roman columns at the entrance). The rooms are smallish but well decorated and modern. Good A/C, good free wifi, and a small but very functional elevator. There is someone at the desk on the 2nd floor at all times (including 1:45 am, when I checked in on Sunday....)

I had read about this hotel in a British newspaper's list of great budget-friendly hotels in Rome, and they are not wrong. Do be aware that breakfast is not included, and costs an extra 10 euro. However, you are only steps from Piazza Navona and the Pantheon areas where there are dozens of places to grab a coffee and a roll, or there are markets where you can get something more substantial. The rooms do have mini-fridges and electric kettles.

Hope this helps. I am not usually in Rome at this time of year and was looking for a less-expensive hotel -- my usual choices are much more expensive in peak season than I wanted to pay. This hotel is a great alternative for those who want to be well located at a reasonable price.

thanks CM! I'll keep this one in mind - I'll price check this one with my employer's hotels (and the employee rates) next year!!!

I just booked an apartment on VRBO for three nights for next May, and my total cost was less than $600 for the three nights. The apartment itself was about $150/night, but the total includes the cleaning fee and all the taxes, including the 3.50 Euro/Person/Night that has to be paid at check in. For that, we have a beautiful 2 bedroom 2 bathroom apartment (more than we need) in the heart of Navona, about halfway between the Vatican and the Colosseum, and surrounded by all the restaurants and local flavor I could ever want! We also have a washer AND dryer, so I know what I'll be doing right before we leave for the ship!:)

The owner must have decided her prices were too low, because it's gone up a LOT since I booked it 3 days ago.:rolleyes: Think about it, though...there was a lot of great stuff to choose from if you're willing to spend the time to read a lot of listings.

I would recommend the Albergo Cesari Hotel. Five minutes from Pantheon or Trevi Fountain. The location is excellent, close to many sites. The room I stayed in was a quad, very clean, large bathroom. Breakfast is included in the price and they have a wonderful rooftop terrace where you can eat your breakfast or have a drink in the evening.

We have booked Hotel Roma for two nights in October. Is it great?

You can take the train from the airport and get off at Termini and walk to the

hotel. Have an excellent breakfast on the Rooftop Terrace. Are you also

going on a cruise?

Have a look at Hotel Grifo. We spent 3 nights there recently and we were very happy with the location. It was a 10min walk to almost everything. Only time we took metro was to the Vatican, and even then we walked back (though it was a long walk). Wifi and a Nice breakfast included and 24/7 front desk. Small elevator also, though we only used it to bring our luggage up and down. The area has some wonderful restaurants and easy access to great gelato ;)

Nice to hear you enjoyed this hotel since we're booked there in September! I was attracted to it because it seemed that it was in an authentic neighbourhood, not completely touristy.

Nice to hear you enjoyed this hotel since we're booked there in September! I was attracted to it because it seemed that it was in an authentic neighbourhood, not completely touristy.

I am sure you will enjoy. There is a small store down the street about a block on the same side of the street if you need some bottled water or some snacks etc to have with you, then you can refill the bottles at various fountains around Rome.

Also recommend the Cesari. We stayed for five nights and loved it. Great location, can walk to all the sights, staff extremely helpful and we had even booked a cab ahead of time thru them to be picked up at the airport.

Just back from the end of my Italy trip. For my last two nights in Rome I stayed at Albergo Santa Chiara. It's a good option if you can snag a good price (I did). It is very well located directly behind the Pantheon and the rooms have been recently refreshed in terms of decor. I'd say in terms of overall rooms and service it's a step up from Albergo Cesari but less deluxe than the Albergo del Senato.

Worth considering if you want to be in what I consider one of the best locations for getting around on your own.

P.S. Rome is packed this summer with tourists. I usually go in the less busy seasons; not used to the crowds everywhere!!

Edited by cruisemom42

I am sure you will enjoy. There is a small store down the street about a block on the same side of the street if you need some bottled water or some snacks etc to have with you, then you can refill the bottles at various fountains around Rome.

Great! I presume the local water is good then, good to know. Does the little store sell beer? Did you try any local restaurants?