Dulles United lounges

buggins0402

We have first class international flight booked to Beijing from Dulles on United. We overnight the night before in Dulles (avoided an early same day flight from DTW with shortish connection) so I'm trying to determine whether to book a room with breakfast. My thought was just to get up, work out, then head to a lounge and chow there. But, it looks like the first lounge at Dulles is weak. Can we use the Lufthansa lounge, or is it logistically difficult?

At a loss here, as we usually fly economy and usually fly Sky Team.

We have first class international flight booked to Beijing from Dulles on United. We overnight the night before in Dulles (avoided an early same day flight from DTW with shortish connection) so I'm trying to determine whether to book a room with breakfast. My thought was just to get up, work out, then head to a lounge and chow there. But, it looks like the first lounge at Dulles is weak. Can we use the Lufthansa lounge, or is it logistically difficult?

At a loss here, as we usually fly economy and usually fly Sky Team.

Before DH retired 3 years ago (and had to start paying for his own flights :p) he was a regular in the United First Class Lounge at Dulles. There was an open, serve yourself bar with top shelf liquors and a variety of foods, both hot and cold. The entire family (6 of us; DH and I flying first class and the kids and significant others in the back of the plane) spent 12 hours in it 5 years ago when United's computers went down world-wide as we were to board a flight to Rome. Thank goodness for the free food and booze!

The Lufthansa lounges (They have a Senator lounge and a Business lounge, no FCL at IAD) are in a different concourse to United's flights (B versus D) but they are accessible without reclearing security (you can take the Aerotrain from B via the main terminal back to C). Both UA's and LH's lounges are really weak, IMO. If you have loads of time then why not try both to compare but in your shoes I'd probably just go to the UA IFL and be done with it.

I've been to many First and Business lounges across the world and UA's IFL at IAD is probably one of the worst F lounges I've been in, for a hub airport it's the worst by a country mile!

DH and I flying first class and the kids and significant others in the back of the plane

Weird.

Edited by fbgd

If you only want some plain (bland) cereal or some yogurt then by all means stop by the United Club. ;) If you want a "real" (decent) breakfast then either grab something in the terminal or at a hotel. The UC's while decent and have comfortable seating and free wifi are really nothing to write home about as far as luxury.

The United Global First lounge at IAD is nothing to get excited about. It is "fine" if you have to be there, but if I were about to spend the next 14 hours in a steel tube (even if in F) I would still limit my time in the airport and or lounge. Since you already have an over night scheduled I would just plan a leisurely breakfast at the hotel where you won't have to be encumbered by your carry on baggage and other assorted items. The PEK flight leaves around noon so you will have plenty of time for a nice breakfast and then you can enjoy your lunch on board the flight.

There is a difference between the IFL and UC so make sure if you are really booked in International first class (not business class) then you should head to the IFL which has a better selection of food and drink.

Here is a review with photos and is typical to what I remembered

http://pointmetotheplane.boardingarea.com/2015/03/26/trip-report-review-united-global-first-lounge-washington-dulles-are-you-a-spy/

Edited by nolatravelgirl

If you only want some plain (bland) cereal or some yogurt then by all means stop by the United Club. ;) If you want a "real" (decent) breakfast then either grab something in the terminal or at a hotel. The UC's while decent and have comfortable seating and free wifi are really nothing to write home about as far as luxury.

The OP will have access to the Global First lounge, the better choice over the UC. The OP could go to the UC, but the Global First lounge would be the logical choice.

Thanks all, you gave me some good feedback with which to make a decision.

LH lounge would probably be more hassle than it's worth logistically since we are not familiar with the airport. Flight to Beijing is definitely first.

In Beijing, from my read of the Star Alliance lounge rules - we are only eligible for the China Air business class lounge (the next flight is on China Air to HCM is Business)? I did read a lounge review where someone in similar circumstance (First to Business) was allowed into the first lounge, so we might give it a try, even if it's stretching. It's a long layover and a shower would be nice.

LH lounge would probably be more hassle than it's worth logistically since we are not familiar with the airport. Flight to Beijing is definitely first.

In Beijing, from my read of the Star Alliance lounge rules - we are only eligible for the China Air business class lounge (the next flight is on China Air to HCM is Business)? I did read a lounge review where someone in similar circumstance (First to Business) was allowed into the first lounge, so we might give it a try, even if it's stretching. It's a long layover and a shower would be nice.

I wouldn't count on it since you are arriving F flight was on another carrier.

Looks like it is a pretty awful lounge, but there are showers.

http://www.airlinequality.com/lounge-reviews/air-china/

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2013/11/06/review-air-china-business-class-lounge-beijing/

I wish the links were working in this review, but the description makes the shower sound delightful ;)

http://first2board.com/wanderlusty/2013/07/lounge-shower-review-air-china-business-lounge-pek/

I wouldn't count on it since you are arriving F flight was on another carrier.

Looks like it is a pretty awful lounge, but there are showers.

http://www.airlinequality.com/lounge-reviews/air-china/

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2013/11/06/review-air-china-business-class-lounge-beijing/

I wish the links were working in this review, but the description makes the shower sound delightful ;)

http://first2board.com/wanderlusty/2013/07/lounge-shower-review-air-china-business-lounge-pek/

LOL...keeping fingers crossed that the 1st receptionist lets us in as I saw in another review. Given the flight timing, this layover is when our clocks will say rest.

I just booked our KUL to HKG the other day after seeing a cheap business class fare on Malaysia Air ($300pp all in seems cheap for a bigger seat.) It took me a while to figure out which lounge that might get us into prior to the flight...thankfully, I don't need to feel bad about needing entry in the Satellite lounge (it's a different terminal)....the discussion about the cockroaches in the bathrooms in multiple reviews really turned my stomach. I think we'll have a big lunch in town that day, and skip the Lounge food...I now have visions of cockroaches swimming in some Malaysian noodle soup dish.:eek:

NOLA..do you know if the Westin in Reston is okay? Rates look good, as does the fitness center.

Edited by buggins0402

Note that there is no such thing as "China Air". There is China Airlines, which is from Taiwan and Air China, which is from the PRC. BIG difference and you need to be aware of this.

Also, to confuse things even further, the code for Air China is CA while the one for China Airlines is CI.

CA is in Star, CI is in SkyTeam.

Note that there is no such thing as "China Air". There is China Airlines, which is from Taiwan and Air China, which is from the PRC. BIG difference and you need to be aware of this.

Also, to confuse things even further, the code for Air China is CA while the one for China Airlines is CI.

CA is in Star, CI is in SkyTeam.

Thanks...still learning. It's Air China. In fact, in preliminary searches of the

airline when I was looking to book, I did get confused between the two.

Edited by buggins0402

If the rates are about the same (even though the Westin Reston is newer -- don't confuse it with the Westin Dulles which is old and tired) I would pick the Hyatt Regency Reston Center because you have a number of good restaurant options just out the front door. (I lived nearby for many years and even after I moved to AZ I flew back frequently to visit family and always tried to stay at that Hyatt if I could get a decent deal.)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Another mess up on my part. I did mean the old tired Herndon property, not the

Reston hotel. Trying to stay with a Starwood...the fitness center at the

Weston in Herndon looked better than the more expensive Sheraton. We all have our different priorities and both properties have beds, fitness center is key.:D

• 2 weeks later...

Also, when talking about anything UA at IAD, the C and D concourses there have always meant to be "temporary" from the time the were built almost 35 years ago, but have never been replaced. That is part of the reason the UA lounges, etc. will probably never be as nice as the new lounges in Concourses A and B.

If you are SPG, if you sign up (if you aren't already MR) and link to Marriott, you'll have more choices in the IAD area. You can port over SPG points to Marriott for a stay if you were thinking using points for your overnight. Just a thought.

I stayed at both Westins, but not for awhile. I remember nothing about the Airport Westin, pretty unremarkable. I remember I was upgraded to one of the "suites" which aren't really suites, but a large room with a decent seating area with a sofa and a chair. It was done black and white, with a vintage Hollywood decor. Kind of weird, but it was OK. I remember a ton of kids there for some softball/soccer tournament, so lots of running, screaming kids. I didn't eat breakfast at either place - just grabbed some coffee down in the lobby.