Why is the city are area you are from not in your signature?

Hflors

I see some of the posters on here (and even some that have a lot of posts) and there isn't any city or area of the country etc listed below the # of posts you have made. Is there a reason why you don't want anyone to know where you live?

I don't mean this to be a rude thread I am just curious as to why some people do not list their town, city or at least the area of the country they are from.

For me I just love to look at what people post and look at the top right and say "how interesting that people from different areas think or feel differently from what I think or feel" about different things. Somehow when I don't see the town, city or area of the country its like the person isn't real but maybe some computer gernerated response.....

Thanks for letting me know why.

Helen

You might be amazed at how easy it can be to track people down based on the little information of where they live, even in general, and what innocent things they reveal about themselves.

For some people, keeping their location vague (at most) is for their own protection.

Ruth nailed it for me. It is just too easy to know when you are away and who needs that kind of attention? Also someone once outright asked me where we lived right before a cruise. That really unnerved me.

Actually, and maybe I am naïve, I don't know what someone could glean from knowing I am Irish, my name is Linda (like a thousand others) and I live in Charlotte, NC. Considering all the info someone or anyone can capture from any website I visit, I don't know if this is a concern. I am proud of where I live, and I am proud to be of Irish decent....and I like my first name, Linda. Other than that, I don't know what damage can be done by knowing those few facts. Please enlighten me if I am being very uninformed.

For me I just love to look at what people post and look at the top right and say "how interesting that people from different areas think or feel differently from what I think or feel" about different things. Somehow when I don't see the town, city or area of the country its like the person isn't real but maybe some computer gernerated response.....

Helen

I agree very much with your statement, Helen.

Actually, and maybe I am naïve, I don't know what someone could glean from knowing I am Irish, my name is Linda (like a thousand others) and I live in Charlotte, NC. Considering all the info someone or anyone can capture from any website I visit, I don't know if this is a concern. I am proud of where I live, and I am proud to be of Irish decent....and I like my first name, Linda. Other than that, I don't know what damage can be done by knowing those few facts. Please enlighten me if I am being very uninformed.

Not everyone lives in a city. For someone who knows how to steal identities, among other things, it is not difficult to find out who you are and where you live and when you won't be home.

It is a sad reality. Like not publishing too many details in an obituary as that just makes it way too easy.

I'm a pretty open person but I ended up changing my identity and area because people were making personal comments like they were keeping a list or something. I know some posters have been harassed. That pretty sad when people go to those lengths. That said, I often mention the city I'm from. Like other posters I do like to know the country folks are from.

I understand it is fear of some kind of identity theft or personal attack that prohibits folks from listing their city. If their thread name identifies them individually, I can see where it would possibly be an issue. If their thread name/label is vague or can apply to many, I think it might be more difficult for someone to positively ID a person. But if you reveal many personal details in a thread or comment (or thru many comments), it may narrow it down and I can see where it could become a problem in some instances. It is a shame we need to be concerned about this, and not just be open and friendly with others.....

I understand it is fear of some kind of identity theft or personal attack that prohibits folks from listing their city. If their thread name identifies them individually, I can see where it would possibly be an issue. If their thread name/label is vague or can apply to many, I think it might be more difficult for someone to positively ID a person. But if you reveal many personal details in a thread or comment (or thru many comments), it may narrow it down and I can see where it could become a problem in some instances. It is a shame we need to be concerned about this, and not just be open and friendly with others.....

I agree. I'm a trusting and naive person. I've had my eyes opened up over the last few years because of a work situation. I've found out how deciptful some people call be. I don't understand how people sleep at night.

You would be amazed at how someone intent on finding you can do so with so little information. I have been the victim of a stalker on an internet forum, and you can never be too careful.

Sorry, the quote function is not working for me (again) - this was in response to Irish Eyes.

Edited by Lizzie68

I participate in a health forum and it's really important to see country the poster is from as our health systems vary so much. If from UK, I'm used to hearing one thing, Canada something perhaps somewhat similar, and then there's U.S...... :D

I agree. I'm a trusting and naive person. I've had my eyes opened up over the last few years because of a work situation. I've found out how deciptful some people call be. I don't understand how people sleep at night.

I don't know how they sleep either. There is little honor and respect these days.....people for themselves, or for others. It's a shame.

PS. My thoughts and prayers for all our Canadian friends today, in light of the tragedy in Ottawa......we stand by you, and hope the situation is resolved.

Sadly, it is a simple matter of common sense to avoid putting out so much information on a site like this that it would be possible for someone to note that a person from a particular town will be away from home for three weeks on a trans-Atlantic repositioning - other posts could combine to specifically identify that individual - and his address.

It is good to have some broad information which contributes to understanding a person's point of view: when someone from the British Midlands objects to tipping, for example, their attitude is far easier to understand than when someone from Chicago does.

I think it is reasonable to give broad general information - say " from the Boston area", or identify one's state - but much more is not really significant on a site like this, and might be risky

I don't know how they sleep either. There is little honor and respect these days.....people for themselves, or for others. It's a shame.

PS. My thoughts and prayers for all our Canadian friends today, in light of the tragedy in Ottawa......we stand by you, and hope the situation is resolved.

Thank you.

I join Linda in expressing my horror at what occurred today in Ottawa. My thoughts are with you.

I see some of the posters on here (and even some that have a lot of posts) and there isn't any city or area of the country etc listed below the # of posts you have made. Is there a reason why you don't want anyone to know where you live?

I don't mean this to be a rude thread I am just curious as to why some people do not list their town, city or at least the area of the country they are from.

Thanks for letting me know why.

Helen

1. I don't know how

2. I don't want the whole world to know

3. Why does it matter