Port Intensive Cruse and an INSIDE?

I know there are many people here who prefer balconies, but I am looking for a little support from the "Insiders". We are planning our 20 year anniversary cruise on the Jewel next Spring. Very Port Intensive, last time we sailed we got a balcony and barely used it. (While I prefer quiet spots, DH prefers to be where the action is). I swore after the last cruise that I would get an inside if we did port intensive again. BUT, now that I am planning it, I keep thinking I should get a balcony. So, anyone out there who prefers (or gets insides) on Port Intensive...just need a little reassurance!

I know there are many people here who prefer balconies, but I am looking for a little support from the "Insiders". We are planning our 20 year anniversary cruise on the Jewel next Spring. Very Port Intensive, last time we sailed we got a balcony and barely used it. (While I prefer quiet spots, DH prefers to be where the action is). I swore after the last cruise that I would get an inside if we did port intensive again. BUT, now that I am planning it, I keep thinking I should get a balcony. So, anyone out there who prefers (or gets insides) on Port Intensive...just need a little reassurance!

Where will you be sailing?

If you seldom use your room other than for sleeping, and changing, then I would go with the inside room and save a bit of money. Money to be used on excursions on the extra islands. I've had both balconies and interiors and, even though I liked the balcony, for the price you pay extra I don't see it as good value. I know others may disagree, but I prefer to spend my money on other things rather than a room.

I would go with an inside on the Jewel. We just got off of Indy last weekend. We prefer the PR promenade insides. We've had 9 of 'em and love them. Too bad that they don't have them on the Radiance class. Like you, we've had a couple of balcony cabins and simply didn't use it.

Joe

If you seldom use your room other than for sleeping, and changing, then I would go with the inside room and save a bit of money. Money to be used on excursions on the extra islands. I've had both balconies and interiors and, even though I liked the balcony, for the price you pay extra I don't see it as good value. I know others may disagree, but I prefer to spend my money on other things rather than a room.

I agree. We've cruised in interiors, balconies, and suites. Well, to be more accurate "suite" because it was only once! And while I love having a balcony, I enjoy it most when I have lots of time to spend on it. We sailed in in an interior for our med cruise (only one sea day) and it was perfect. We were so busy coming and going that we were rarely in the room. There are lots of places around the ship to enjoy the outdoors without a balcony, and while it's nice it have the private space, I didn't miss it one bit on that cruise.

I agree that the money is better spent on experiences in port -- that's what you'll remember most about the cruise.

No worries getting an inside room. Especially for a couple. Sometimes the prices are so low it's hard to not go that route and then use the savings on some great excurions! I would go inside more, but the diamond balcony discount usually helps offset the added cost. Relax. If the savings is significant go for it and find another "hang out" up top where there's more to see .

We only use our cabin to change clothes, shower and sleep...we like to be in the middle of the action ...the promenade, lounges, pool...so many places to be, why to stay inside our cabin, even with a balcony? :D We like to be on the dark, there are less motion, and is so cheap, why should I pay more, only to see the sea from the balcony???:rolleyes:

(Enough?):D:)

So, anyone out there who prefers (or gets insides) on Port Intensive...just need a little reassurance!

DW and I prefer the inside cabin whether port intensive or not. We only had outside one time and when we totaled up the all the time that we utilized it, it amounted to less than 1/2 hour on 9N cruise. All we do now is inside cabin and put the money saved towards excursions and expenses. It also allows us to cruise more often. :D For us, it seems we only use the cabin for sleeping, showering and changing. We are celebrating our 28th anniversary in an inside on the Oasis embarking this Saturday. :)

Edited by WeatherFx

We rarely spend time in our rooms; sitting in the room is not the vacation experience for us, we like a medium level of action. From that perspective an inside is fine. We went from a hump balcony room one one cruise to an inside on the next; not a big deal. We also didn't get as much use out of the balcony as we had hoped.

On occasion coming back from shore we would take a nap and a cool, quiet, dark inside room was actually better than the balcony room for that.

For a port intensive cruise would happily book an inside and pocket the $$ savings.

I don't understand what the port intensive has to do with it. I enjoy getting up in the morning to daylight. I enjoy watching the ship pull in and out of port from the balcony. I like to test the weather on the balcony. I love looking at the night stars from a balcony. It's really about what you're comfortable spending on a cabin but a balcony is more desirable, that's why it costs more.

We started with insides and at the time preferred to cruise inside as it allowed 2 cruises per year instead of 1. Then we tried a balcony, it was just Ok, too windy to smoke a cigar and just didn't enjoy it for the extra money. Had a couple of outsides, again OK, but not enough to justify the expense. Had a promenade last year, my wife really enjoyed being able to set in the bay window and people watch on the promenade.

We just continue to prefer inside to other cabins. have upgraded when there wasn't a substantial cost difference. But not going to love a balcony just because everyone else does.

In my opinion, an inside would work well. Most of your days will be spent on shore in port. You won't be in your room. Then you come back, get ready for dinner (don't have to worry about closing the shades if you haven't left yet!), and then go to dinner and evening entertainment. Then rinse and repeat for the next day. If you are not the type to wake up super early and watch docking, or like to watch departure in a private place, then there is not need for a balcony. We like to sleep (it is vacation after all!) and like the darkness of the inside. We also agree, that we would rather spend the extra money on something other than a place to store our stuff.

Very Port Intensive, last time we sailed we got a balcony and barely used it. (While I prefer quiet spots, DH prefers to be where the action is). I swore after the last cruise that I would get an inside if we did port intensive again. BUT, now that I am planning it, I keep thinking I should get a balcony. So, anyone out there who prefers (or gets insides) on Port Intensive...just need a little reassurance!

I too am 75% an "insider" and have had no problem going from ocean balcony D8-Oasis to inside M deck 8-Rhapsody to the ultimate corner aft JS-Vision!! I've done both port intensive and lots of sea days TA's in an inside... some people feel claustrophobic and just can't do it, but if you feel you are never in your cabin, especially with heavy port days, then an inside is likely totally perfect for you imo. Now you can splurge on an extra specialty dining choices, an expensive excursion you would never have considered, etc... Have a great cruise!:D

Go for it! If you're barely using your cabin you are one of those getting the most out of your cruise.

While we've lately fallen to the decadence of having a balcony, we still think that the best ocean watching on the ship is on the promenade deck, not our balcony. (Note to Voyager/Freedom class cruisers - when I say "promenade" I mean OUTSIDE, not the "mall" - the ocean IS out there if you look!)

I don't understand what the port intensive has to do with it. I enjoy getting up in the morning to daylight. I enjoy watching the ship pull in and out of port from the balcony. I like to test the weather on the balcony. I love looking at the night stars from a balcony. It's really about what you're comfortable spending on a cabin but a balcony is more desirable, that's why it costs more.

I totally agree, if you were staying in a hotel would you take a room with no window? Have you considered a ocean view? I would take OV instead of inside, we had inside one time to save money and we did not enjoy it at all, like being in a dungeon.

Happy anniversary, we are celebrating our 40 this cruise :D

Bev

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk 2

We started with insides and at the time preferred to cruise inside as it allowed 2 cruises per year instead of 1. Then we tried a balcony, it was just Ok, too windy to smoke a cigar and just didn't enjoy it for the extra money. Had a couple of outsides, again OK, but not enough to justify the expense. Had a promenade last year, my wife really enjoyed being able to set in the bay window and people watch on the promenade.

We just continue to prefer inside to other cabins. have upgraded when there wasn't a substantial cost difference. But not going to love a balcony just because everyone else does.

The PR promenade cabins are in my opinion one of the best values on the ship! We've had 9 of 'em including one on the Indy last week. You just have to remember to close those drapes! :o

Joe

The port intenisive is there because during daylight hours you'll be more on land then on board so that you will not need a balcony if you're not even on the ship most of the time. In compare with Transatlanic where you might like to have your own space to get away from the crowd.

I had an inside cabin on my b2b with the Jewel this march and I like the money I saved for excursions and souvenirs. I never missed the balcony (I had just once a balcony and not really used it much).

I totally agree, if you were staying in a hotel would you take a room with no window?

If the price is 50 % of a room with a view and as I stay in a hotel only for sleeping I would book such a room if the room has the same size like the others. (I stayed in rooms like this in Vietnam on a guided tour, where I had no choice).

In many seafront ressort you'll have already two categories of rooms - the ones with seaview and the others to the landside which are cheaper.

I think it is just a matter of personal preference and doesn't always come down to what people can afford. If you are barely going to be in your room and don't care about a balcony, then get an inside of some sort for this trip and enjoy the extra cash on fun stuff. I absolutely love the water but live on a lake. If it were the same price of course I would still choose a balcony. Everytime I book a trip I think balcony this time but then I think of all the fun money I will have by not getting one.

It just all depends on what you want. If it is not the one and only cruise you will ever take in your lifetime, do what suites you best for this particular trip.

Debbie

I find that we use the room to sleep and change and that's about it , so we're OK with inside , now with the upcoming Hawaii cruise there are 5 sea days in a row , really the view would be the same after day two , so I'm still ok with inside , Alaska on the other hand needs a window or balcony ,lots to see

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

No worries getting an inside room. Especially for a couple. Sometimes the prices are so low it's hard to not go that route and then use the savings on some great excurions! I would go inside more, but the diamond balcony discount usually helps offset the added cost. Relax. If the savings is significant go for it and find another "hang out" up top where there's more to see .

Even with my Diamond discount, I have never been tempted to spend the extra $$$ for a balcony cabin. I LOVE the inside cabins and have NEVER been disappointed.

Happy sails.

Kathy

We've never had a big suite, but have had every other sort of room.

We're very much inside room people. If I ever get to do a Panama Canal or Alaska cruise... a balcony will be a must. Otherwise, I default to inside unless another type is cheaper for some random reason.

Much like most people in this thread, we use our stateroom as a base.

I often take a nap there while my wife gets her first day of the cruise massage.

We sleep and ;) there. We change clothes, bathe, and use the restroom there.

We use it to store our stuff.

Other than that we are enjoying our vacation! We are out and about doing stuff! When we aren't doing stuff, we are napping in the solarium.

We visit the ports, we go on excursions, we save a ton of money inside and use that money for stuff that is way more fun than a balcony or JS.

Edited by poncho1973

I totally agree, if you were staying in a hotel would you take a room with no window? Have you considered a ocean view? I would take OV instead of inside, we had inside one time to save money and we did not enjoy it at all, like being in a dungeon.

Happy anniversary, we are celebrating our 40 this cruise :D

Bev

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk 2

Congratulations on your 40th anniversary! Enjoy your May 31 Oasis cruise!

We will be on the May 10 Oasis cruise celebrating our 40th anniversary! We have a balcony way aft on deck 7 on this cruise. Can't wait! :D