Port Intensive Cruse and an INSIDE?

We use our cabins differently when we have a balcony and when we do not. We try to book the best value for the type of cabin. The length of the cruise makes a difference to us.

On our 13 day TA we waited for a guarantee and booked a balcony. But, the next cruise was 10 days and we booked an inside because the cabins were more expensive. We spent more time in our cabin on the TA and the balcony was important. On the 10 day W Caribbean cruise we spent our time in the other areas of the ship. They were both excellent cruises.

If you are OK with an inside cabin--cruising is such a bargain!

We almost always get inside cabins and just did on Jewel of the Seas very recently ... celebrating our 30th anniversary.

It is of course personal preference, but we like it for many of the same reasons already stated..... little time spent there, sleeping very soundly, $$ saved, etc.

Congratulations and enjoy!

I know there are many people here who prefer balconies, but I am looking for a little support from the "Insiders". We are planning our 20 year anniversary cruise on the Jewel next Spring. Very Port Intensive, last time we sailed we got a balcony and barely used it. (While I prefer quiet spots, DH prefers to be where the action is). I swore after the last cruise that I would get an inside if we did port intensive again. BUT, now that I am planning it, I keep thinking I should get a balcony. So, anyone out there who prefers (or gets insides) on Port Intensive...just need a little reassurance!

I would suggest that perhaps you consider an outside cabin. Shouldn't cost significantly more. It would allow you to see the ports, day and night and in my opinion better then an inside cabin. The lack of true day light would not work for me. However too each his own.

Happy Anniversary.

Enjoy your cruise

Edited by Cruise a holic

DW and I prefer the inside cabin whether port intensive or not. We only had outside one time and when we totaled up the all the time that we utilized it, it amounted to less than 1/2 hour on 9N cruise. All we do now is inside cabin and put the money saved towards excursions and expenses. It also allows us to cruise more often. :D For us, it seems we only use the cabin for sleeping, showering and changing. We are celebrating our 28th anniversary in an inside on the Oasis embarking this Saturday. :)

Same for us! We've always done inside cabins as we pretty much just sleep, shower and change clothes in it. For us, by choosing inside cabins we've used the extra money for for some amazing excursions (especially on port intensive itineraries), specialty restaurants, fun froo froo drinks and More Cruises!

A little hint for the Jewell on a port intensive cruise - we actually liked staying on Deck 3. It was great getting on and off at the ports. The gangway was on deck 2, so one flight of stairs and back to the room. No waiting for the elevator jam up :). Plus it was a nice quiet deck.

For me? No brainer...Inside.

In Alaska, the price difference between an inside and a balcony paid for ALL of our excursions (whale watching, small boat to Tracy Arm, kayaking, and some hiking), the train ride from Seward to Anchorage, gifts for the kids, some tshirts for us, and a meal at Tracy's Crab Shack.

We were so tired after coming back to the ship that we just wanted to scarf down a quick dinner and go to bed! We did spend some time up on deck looking at scenery and wildlife. It was nice to be able to go from one side of the ship to the other as you never knew where something interesting would present itself. Met some really cool people up on deck too!

On a radiance class ship consider a deck 2 inside by the aft elevators. I got one of these rooms as a guarantee and loved it. The hall was super quiet. My cabin was steps from the elevator area where you could see out. The heart of the ship was just two decks up and you could hear what was going on there from the elevator area (but you couldn't hear it in the cabin). And in some ports the gangway was on deck 2, which meant I was in my cabin seconds after getting back on.

I know there are many people here who prefer balconies, but I am looking for a little support from the "Insiders". We are planning our 20 year anniversary cruise on the Jewel next Spring. Very Port Intensive, last time we sailed we got a balcony and barely used it. (While I prefer quiet spots, DH prefers to be where the action is). I swore after the last cruise that I would get an inside if we did port intensive again. BUT, now that I am planning it, I keep thinking I should get a balcony. So, anyone out there who prefers (or gets insides) on Port Intensive...just need a little reassurance!

We (almost) always sail in a balcony or higher. On two cruises we did not. Both were expedition cruises, Antarctica on the Marco Polo and Galapagos on the Xpedition. In both cases the prices were so outrageous it made no sense, plus we wouldnt use them very much.

We still booked an outside because I wanted natural light coming into the room.

I don't think I could ever go down to an inside, but if I were on a cruise that had almost no sea days I could consider an outside again.

If the price between inside and outside is not big, go for an outside to get that light in the room

I've had both balconies and insides. I don't feel like I get enough use of a balcony to make it worth while. The one time I do miss it is in the morning...it's nice to be able to sit outside without having to go up on deck. However, I don't miss it enough to justify the extra cost.

Pick an inside cabin 2 decks below the pool deck or 1 or 2 above the plaza deck.

That way you have only one or two flights of stairs to the fun areas of the ship.

It may be best to avoid just over or under a main traffic area.

The pool deck and promenade decks give you quick access to fresh air.

The plaza and buffet give you quick access to seating and activities.

Penny

I think it really depends on where you are going. When I cruised in Norway, we had five port stops on our seven day cruise. I paid more than double the price of an inside for our balcony. Because we were crazy close to being in the land of he the midnight sun, we had daylight until at least 11:30pm and then it started up again at 3:00am.

For our cruise, the scenery NEVER ended!!! We could almost always see land (the extra hours of daylight certainly helped!). The ship practically crawled out of Geraingerfjord, so it was three straight hours of the most beautiful scenery that you could almost touch because we were so close to it. A balcony made a nice quiet oasis to soak it all in.

Now, I personally love balconies and will probably always get one. But if I was doing a port heavy cruise in, say, the Caribbean, I could possibly be swayed to do an inside because it seems like half the time our view was of another ship.

Yep, I did it. I upgraded from outside to balcony. I was so excited as it was my first balcony. I envisioned, quiet mornings sipping coffee (reality, we were too busy getting up & dressed to catch our excursion. I envisioned romantic snuggling with my spouse, never happened. Now the middle of the day naps...did not need a balcony for them! :p Maybe another time but this time jewel! very port intensive.....I should have went with inside cabin. Heck, the kids even had a balcony. My son never went on it and my daughter did a few times. BTW- looking back I see the logic of being on deck 3 and I watched prices a month out they were CHEAP!!!!!

I just sailed jewel in March. I was on Deck 7 balcony which I would not do again due to life boat obstructions. We have had a few inside cabins. I do like the balcony more light hearing the ocean. Why not get the inside wait til before final payment and see if any deals on a balcony or ocean view before final payment. Keep checking. I think you will so enjoy your trip it won't really matter on the jewel what room there is a lot of glass. Such a beautiful ship. Have fun!

Who cares what I like, prefer, can afford etc etc, it's about what YOU like, OP!

First of all, Jewel is a good choice for an interior cabin because 1- there are so darn many places onboard to sit both in and out and enjoy the view. 2- it's doing warm itineraries now, so you can enjoy the scenery outside without needing to dash back inside your cabin to warm up (as you might in Alaska or an early or late season Baltic cruise) and 3- you will be quite busy with few sea days ( only 1 probably) to fight for a lounge chair in the public spaces. The best spot is along the Promenade deck- it's shady, but quiet with a nice view of the sea from every chair! :D
Have fun!

[quote name='3kids1dog']I know there are many people here who prefer balconies, but I am looking for a little support from the "Insiders". We are planning our 20 year anniversary cruise on the Jewel next Spring. Very Port Intensive, last time we sailed we got a balcony and barely used it. (While I prefer quiet spots, DH prefers to be where the action is). I swore after the last cruise that I would get an inside if we did port intensive again. BUT, now that I am planning it, I keep thinking I should get a balcony. So, anyone out there who prefers (or gets insides) on Port Intensive...just need a little reassurance![/QUOTE]

I've stopped booking balconies for the same reason. I'm never in my room. I've been booking insides more and more.

Thanks for all the replies! I know it is a very personal decision. It was nice to see some support from the "Insiders". It's hard not feel like you "should" get/want a balcony so it's nice to hear from people who do Insides. And, the advice to go on Deck 2 or 3 was great. Any specific cabin numbers? (Save me the research). And, I figure the money we save can pay for 3 nights in Puerto Rico, turning our vacation into a 10 day one!:)

[quote name='3kids1dog']Thanks for all the replies! I know it is a very personal decision. It was nice to see some support from the "Insiders". It's hard not feel like you "should" get/want a balcony so it's nice to hear from people who do Insides. And, the advice to go on Deck 2 or 3 was great. Any specific cabin numbers? (Save me the research). And, I figure the money we save can pay for 3 nights in Puerto Rico, turning our vacation into a 10 day one!:)[/QUOTE]

Exactly, the money I save. I use during cruise or pre/post cruise plans. or even towards another cruise.
Decks 2 or 3 never really bother me. Easier when coming back from port. Don't have to wait for elevator.

I was in 2015 on the Brilliance and was very happy with it - totally quiets dead end hallway. One side of the cabin was a crew hallway and I didn't hear any noise from it. The elevator area had windows where you could peek out at the sea.

However, I ended up in this cabin because I took a guarantee to save some serious money. I started out booked on deck 4 in a cat N cabin a few doors down from the Centrum. The advantage to this location is that you are a few steps from the hub of the indoor action on the ship as well as daylight. The outside promenade deck is only one deck above. I have once again booked in this area for a future cruise on the Serenade.

Ideally, you would pick the place you spend the most time and pick your style of room near that.

We spend the bulk of our down time in the solarium. Thus we, if given the choice because we live near the port and often go last minute, will pick a room 2 decks below the Solarium.

Three reasons:

1. If that is where we are likely to spend quite a bit of time, it is a good place to have the room handy to.
2. Down 2 decks so we don't hear chairs pulling around over our heads if we are in the room.
3. We have a 2 decks up policy, so it helps us stay on track to be less lazy. Our policy... if anything is below us and time isn't important, we take the stairs. If anything is only 1 or 2 decks above us, we take the stairs. This is quicker than the elevator many times and healthier.

I have an old knee injury from my youth that will sometimes flare up (oddly only climbing stairs... so I never even think about it most of the time) if I climb too many stairs in a row. I never seem to have an issue with just 2 decks. Much more than that and I'm pretty much assured to experience some solid pain. I imagine that will get worse as I get older. Not looking forward to that. Edited by poncho1973
speeeeling