Getting bumped from our table in MDR

Hello all. My wife and I are cruising on the Dream again next year and we were wondering if we decide to eat at the Steakhouse on the first night will we get bumped from our table from either a diamond/platinum VIFP member? We will be sailing with FTTF like we did last year as well. We're hoping to get a table back along the very rear of the dining room so we can watch the wake while we eat dinner, but don't want to run the risk of someone bumping us from our table Thanks for the help.

I am assuming that you will have early traditional dining at a largish table? And you anticipate being assigned the aft dining room? You might accomplish this by contacting the maitre d' a couple weeks before your cruise. As far as the steakhouse the first night, there are a lot of folks that never make it to the MDR the first night. I don't think you will lose your seats, but you might let the dining room know that is your plan so they don't keep the others at your table waiting for you before ordering... EM

what kind of dinning do you have?..early, late or anytime/your time?..With a early/late dinning time, that table is yours for the rest of the cruise.

Early. Since our cabin is in the aft like it was last time we're assuming it's in the aft restaurant like last time as well.

I am assuming that you will have early traditional dining at a largish table? And you anticipate being assigned the aft dining room? You might accomplish this by contacting the maitre d' a couple weeks before your cruise. As far as the steakhouse the first night, there are a lot of folks that never make it to the MDR the first night. I don't think you will lose your seats, but you might let the dining room know that is your plan so they don't keep the others at your table waiting for you before ordering... EM

Last year when we cruised they put us at a 2 person table which was fine by us. We know they have 2 person tables back along the windows which is what we're kind of hoping for, for our next cruise. How does one contact the maitre d' before boarding the ship? Never heard of that before.

Early. Since our cabin is in the aft like it was last time we're assuming it's in the aft restaurant like last time as well.

not always the case. i had a forward cabin and was assigned the aft dinning room :(

not always the case. i had a forward cabin and was assigned the aft dinning room :(

I bet that was a nice hike to dinner every night. I went through and looked at the forward dining room while we were cruising. It was a nice room, wouldn't have minded dinner in there.

Cabin location is irrelevant. The aft dining room is always assigned time. On ships with two two-level dining rooms, one of the levels of the midship dining room will be assigned time. On Spirit class ships(one two-level dining room), the lower level is assigned time, and the upper level is YTD.

Cabin location is irrelevant. The aft dining room is always assigned time. On ships with two two-level dining rooms, one of the levels of the midship dining room will be assigned time. On Spirit class ships(one two-level dining room), the lower level is assigned time, and the upper level is YTD.

What about Dream class ships? Since we're sailing on the Dream, and the Dream has two two-level dining rooms. Scarlet Aft and Crimson Forward.

More times than not, if we choose timed dining, the MDR closest to us is the my time dining MDR. It has happened both ways, when were were aft and when we were mid-ship.

What ship had YTD in the aft dining room?

I'm really bad at that, and always marvel when people can recall details of previous cruises by ship name. That said, I could be mistaken in the way I stated our experience. Given that we have stayed in the front of the ship from time to time, it may be that what I'm remembering is that we didn't wind up closest to our (early or late) dining time whether we stayed bough or stern. I think I have observed that most (all?) cruises have the "your time" dining at the mid-ship restaurant. We were forced into your time twice and I hated it. Several nights, both times, we had to wait in a long line just to get a pager, and once we got the pager we had to wait 20 - 40 minutes to be paged. I never cared for those mid-ship libraries and gamerooms but at least there was company in the misery.

I had no idea you could request a certain table?

You can request certain seating such as a two-top or just a table for your family, etc. I suppose you can also ask for a table by the window or a booth if the dining room has one, etc. None of it is guaranteed but everytime I've asked for a certain size table, the request was met.

To the OPs question, if you go to the steakhouse one night or don't eat in the MDR one night for any reason, that spot still remains yours. That's the whole benefit of a fixed time for dinner - your spot is yours. That's why I like it.

You can request certain seating such as a two-top or just a table for your family, etc. I suppose you can also ask for a table by the window or a booth if the dining room has one, etc. None of it is guaranteed but everytime I've asked for a certain size table, the request was met.

To the OPs question, if you go to the steakhouse one night or don't eat in the MDR one night for any reason, that spot still remains yours. That's the whole benefit of a fixed time for dinner - your spot is yours. That's why I like it.

While I agree with this 100%, I also have gone to YTD and, after the first night, requested the same table or wait staff and never had not been denied. For example, just got off the Breeze in April and had the same table 5 of 7 nights, with 1 night adjacent tab;e and 1 night in the Steakhouse. And on the Vista last September, our group of 5 had the same YTD table every night of our 10 day cruise.

We do eat early (around 6:00-6:30) every night.

What about Dream class ships? Since we're sailing on the Dream, and the Dream has two two-level dining rooms. Scarlet Aft and Crimson Forward.

On the Dream assigned dining is both levels of the aft dining room and the upper level of the forward dining room. There is much more seating in the aft dining room so that's where most people are assigned.

What ship had YTD in the aft dining room?

The Sunshine and the Vista have YTD in the aft dining room. On the Vista, unless you are Diamond, you have to check in on deck 5 and get a pager. Diamonds can go directly to the dining room.

Use ship code (2 letters) then maitred@carnival.com

MC Magic

BR Breeze

CQ Conquest

DE Destiny

DR Dream

EC Ecstacy

EL Elation

FA Fantasy

FD Freedom

FS Fascination

GL Glory

IM Imagination

IS Inspiration

LE Legend

LI Liberty

MC Magic

MI Miracle

PA Paradise

SE Sensation

SL Splendor

SP Spirit

TI Triumph

VA Valor

VI Victory

Your Maitre D' will know if you have a steakhouse reservation...and they should tell your assigned wait team. Now if you were eating off the ship (I'm thinking of San Juan where sometimes sail away isn't until after 10pm) they might wonder where you are. But if you have a reservation in one of the ship's restaurants, they will know.

I also have to believe that on embarkation day a number of folks might be tired and eat on Lido deck. Got to think this is something the wait team is used to.