Non Drowsy Motion Sickness Recommendations

k2125girl

I've been using the generic of both (they are identical) and the active ingredient is Meclizine. The generic costs a lot less. As in less than $10 for 100 tabs while the Less Drowsy Dramamine and Bonine are close to that for 8 tablets. Just ask at the pharmacy counter which is where they usually keep the generic. Target, WalMart, etc carry it.

Edited by BND

What would you recommend for a non drowsy motion sickness medication?

I see that Dramamine has a non drowsy formula. I also found Bonine online.

Any recommendations / suggestions?

Thanks in advance !

I have used the non-drowsy Dramamine many times and so has my son. Works very good - never makes us drowsy and helps with that queasy feeling...

Regular Dramamine in dimenhydrinate, which is what will make you sleepy. Both the Less Drowsy Dramamine and Bonine are meclizine, which is far less likely to put you to sleep. I take it before going to bed when sailing and have never had any issues with not being able to stay awake during the day, nor am I queasy.

I buy it in bottles of 100 for our family of 5 (and the cheap factor), but it may be hard to find. When I went to Wal-Mart last summer to buy a fresh batch I was told at the pharmacy that they didn't have any, nor could they get any. That may or may not be true and I didn't push it. I checked Amazon and found a bottle of 100 meclizine tablets for $5.83 and free shipping. Even generic brands in stores will be somewhere around $5 for just 20 25mg tablets.

Another, non-medication form are the wrist bands. Has something to do with a pressure point and has worked for my kids. Did not want to have to medicate them as back then I too, was afraid of the drowsiness and found those worked. Can be found in any CVS or Walgreens. For my boys, got them in black and they looked cool!!;)

Edited by Debde

Another supporter of the non-drowsy Dramamine. We take it at night before going to bed (starting the night before the cruise).

On our first two cruises, my wife had minor motion sickness, but we had not yet discovered medication, but since finding the Dramamine, - no problems whatsoever.

As another alternative (actually more a supplemental system) take a look at Trans-Derm Scope.

This is a prescription medication where you wear a bandaid behind your ear (over the mastoid). I use it anytime I fly and keep it as a backup on ships. It is one of the strongest anti-cholinergic drugs.

I am also hyper sensitive to motion sickness and it can be a miserable feeling.

I start taking Meclizine 2 days before the cruise to build a blood serum level. The I take one AM and one PM dose (25mg) each day aboard. That (combined with Jack Daniels) is usually enough. However, if things get really rough, I stick a tab behind my ear.

Pros: Each patch is good for 3 days +/- of usage

Unlike Dramamine or Meclizine, Scopolamine will terminate motion sickness even after it starts. Nothing else I know does that.

Cons: It is a prescription Rx and is costly.

There are side effects you should discuss with your MD. Most common are dry mouth (that's actually how I tell it's working) and, after 18 hours or so, dilated pupils that can make close vision blurry. There are others that are both more serious and much more rare.

Good luck.

Edited by JohnGaltny

I tend to be hyper-sensitive to some medications that claim not to cause drowsiness, and now I have to check labels carefully to make sure an OTC is okay if one has glaucoma (I even have to remind doctors of this when they try to come up with an allergy med for me).

Considering that one remedy that works for one person might not for the next, I would suggest trying out some different types of remedies ahead of your cruise. See what doesn't cause a side effect on land and take a few of those choices with you -- maybe under actual use on sea, one might not do the trick.

If you're taking prescriptions meds, ask your doctor for recommendations just to make sure you don't render a needed medication useless or cause a bad reaction. If you're on blood thinners, for example, you won't want to take ginger (which is the remedy I buy a ton of before any cruise as it works for me).

Thanks in advance !

I switched to ginger capsules a few years ago. They really seem to help me. I take them 2-3 times a day (especially sea days). I got them at the drug store, they only had one brand but 1 bottle lasts a few years. And they don't have a taste (at least I don't think so). I like ginger but don't like to eat plain ginger.

Try Sea Bands! I get extremely drowsy from dramamine and my boss recommended I try these. Sure, they looked kind of dorky in pictures, but I didn't feel sick even when the waves were really rough. I've also heard that eating green apples is supposed to help with sea sickness/motion sickness.

I used the seabands once - put them on before I got on the ship. Threw up 30 minutes into the cruise and continued for 12 hours + . Luckily, it was a day cruise to the Bahamas and I could get off on land. I bought Bonine in port and have used it since. Works great.

I take it 2 days prior to the cruise, every night, and 2 days after the cruise. I am one of those that get's sea sick back on land. Just get use to swaying, and now the land is standing still.

I called our pharmacy last week & was told patches for the week would be about $65. They discouraged me from taking them because I sometimes have migraines and that is a side effect. Pharmacist said to stick with Bonine.

I switched to ginger capsules a few years ago. They really seem to help me. I take them 2-3 times a day (especially sea days). I got them at the drug store, they only had one brand but 1 bottle lasts a few years. And they don't have a taste (at least I don't think so). I like ginger but don't like to eat plain ginger.

I've tried the ginger capsules and they worked quite well. However, that "taste" you say you didn't have? I had it - profusely. I was burping up ginger constantly while taking them even though the bottle said there was to be no aftertaste. Maybe the problem was that I don't like ginger in any form and just happened to notice it more than someone who likes it or is even indifferent towards it. The bottle was pretty inexpensive and my daughter was able to take them, so it didn't go to waste, but it's another remedy/prophylactic one may want to try out before boarding - particularly if you don't care for ginger.

Thanks in advance !

Bonine (generic is Meclazine)

Ginger capsules, ginger candy, ginger ale

Saltine crackers

Green apples

I use the non-drowsy bonine generic version, one each night beginning with the night before the cruise.

I also take along Motion-Eze. It is a tiny bottle of aromatherapy oil that you put a tiny big behind each ear. It's just another layer of 'insurance' to not get queasy. I would put it behind my ears as I was getting ready for dinner each night. It may just be a placebo effect, but I am still going to keep doing it. You can buy it at Walmart or any other such place as you would find Bonine. It's such a small bottle, you might overlook it on the shelf!