Debit Card Toward SeaPass

Upon check in ... how do they do a debit card being used as form of payment? Is a certain amount held ?

I would not use a debit card to secure your account. Instead I would choose a cash account, and then pay it off at the end with the debit card.

Some people have no problem using a debit card. Others tell of holds posted daily that take some time to fall off.

I would not use a debit card to secure your account. Instead I would choose a cash account, and then pay it off at the end with the debit card.

Some people have no problem using a debit card. Others tell of holds posted daily that take some time to fall off.

Interesting ... do you have to leave a certain amount of cash up front at check in ? Surely they must make u leave something, no ?

Interesting ... do you have to leave a certain amount of cash up front at check in ? Surely they must make u leave something, no ?

They will let you charge up to $500 before they ask you to pay it down.

Your debit card must have a Visa or Mastercard (or simiilar) logo. You cannot enter your PIN at the port or on the ship. It's signature only.

You need to check with your bank on how they handle Travel and Entertainment pre-authorizations. It doesn't matter what kind of card you use, RCI sends a pre-auth everyday that will reduce your credit line or available checking balance.

There is nothing inherently bad about using a debit card. It all depends on how you bank handles pre-auths.

Enjoy your cruise.

Your debit card must have a Visa or Mastercard (or simiilar) logo. You cannot enter your PIN at the port or on the ship. It's signature only.

You need to check with your bank on how they handle Travel and Entertainment pre-authorizations. It doesn't matter what kind of card you use, RCI sends a pre-auth everyday that will reduce your credit line or available checking balance.

There is nothing inherently bad about using a debit card. It all depends on how you bank handles pre-auths.

Enjoy your cruise.

Very helpful info .. thank you !

Usually debit card holds are a an amount equal to a dollar amount per person per day paid for a week in advance.

The hold might not clear your bank for up to 30 days (depends on bank and cruise line).

Not exactly correct. RCI will only do a pre-auth for the exact amount you charge that day. A week in advance???

The hold has absolutely nothing to do with the RCI. The length of the hold is your bank, RCI cannot control the length of the hold.

BTW I noticed the OP is from CT. I work for Webster Bank, we only place a one day hold on Travel and Entertainment pre-auths. If that's your account you are golden.

We are cruising with Navigator in three weeks and need information! So if we want to use cash, how much do we need for the Sea Pass account? Per person or per cabin? Are we really able to use 500 before we have to pay? We have already payed for our drinkpackages and excursions and are not expecting to spend a fortune on board. We are first-timers and since we are going on a roadtrip after the cruise we don't want any trouble with our cards. We are going to check with our bank about their policy as well. How much do they "hold" on the card?:confused:

We are cruising with Navigator in three weeks and need information! So if we want to use cash, how much do we need for the Sea Pass account? Per person or per cabin? Are we really able to use 500 before we have to pay? We have already payed for our drinkpackages and excursions and are not expecting to spend a fortune on board. We are first-timers and since we are going on a roadtrip after the cruise we don't want any trouble with our cards. We are going to check with our bank about their policy as well. How much do they "hold" on the card?:confused:

They will not hold anything if you choose a cash account.

Enjoy your cruise.

I have never had any pre-authorization on any of my credit Cards with RCI.

As was suggested, go for a cash account instead of debit for sidestepping any potential issues, or, if available for you, use a credit card and let the bank worry about their money; you will be fully protected from fraudulent charges and never have your money that you may need access to tied up on holds.

Some people say they never had a debit issue, but it's not worth the risk of issues others report on these forums. Bottom line: Debit *might* turn into a really big hassle during and after vacation. That's YOUR money tied up.

An aside; if you elect to carry cash my only suggestion is a mix of denominations. You do not want large bills only if you also plan to take some of that money into ports. They sometimes magically have problems making change:rolleyes:

Upon check in ... how do they do a debit card being used as form of payment? Is a certain amount held ?

never a good idea to use a debit card as it can take weeks after the cruise ends before any held funds are released.. far more logical to use a credit card to secure. if you want to use cash or a debit card to pay it off or down during the cruise you can do so.

Great advice. It's been years since I used a debit card, but my bank, a local FCU, viewed pre-auths as withdrawals, therefore they were subject to my daily cash withdrawal limits. This resulted in a suspended card, along with a suspended on-board account. I had to sweet talk the ship into allowing me to call my bank from at sea. I know many have had much more success than me, but I haven't used a debit since.

I have never had any pre-authorization on any of my credit Cards with RCI.

You just haven't seen them while onboard. My BofA RCI Visa had a pending charge every day on our cruises when I was able to check. They happen every day, your bank card may not show them but I guarantee they happen. BofA shows them as pending charges for 4-5 days.

One of the benefits to having unlimited internet access.

I'm not sure it is true but I was told that if you get defrauded with a debit card (unauthorized charges) that you dont enjoy the same protections as if you used your credit card. This might be worth looking into.

Depends upon who issues the debit card. US law does not offer the same protections to debit cards that it does to credit cards. Most issuer's have extended the same protections to their cards on a voluntary basis. Bottom line, you may or may not have the same protections, you need to check.

BTW, here's a suggestion. Establish a second, unique account for your travel needs. Get a debit card for that account only. Do not link this account or this card to your main banking account. Your liability is limited to this travel account and your other accounts are not accessible to fraud while travelling. This also limits the issue of holds placed against your account since these holds are only for the travel account and will not affect your main accounts. Of course, you'll have to place sufficient funds in the travel account to cover expected expenses. (If you need more, you'll still have the other accounts for emergencies.)

Anytime I purchase something with a CC . My online statement shows it as pending . The amount is taken off the available credit . It is usually held pending for 72 hours unless it's been on a week end. then it could be up to 5 days.

I'm not sure it is true but I was told that if you get defrauded with a debit card (unauthorized charges) that you dont enjoy the same protections as if you used your credit card. This might be worth looking into.

All debit cards with a Visa or MasterCard logo carry a Zero Liability clause. You can look it up using Google. As long as you report the fraud within a reasonable amount of time after you get your statement. (not when it actually happens) Yes, you lose access to your money for a few days, but you are protected ultimately by Federal Reg E. It's a better story for the press to say an innocent customer is defrauded, when it's actually the bank.

Look I'm not advocating you use a debit card, heck I use a credit credit card for the points. There are millions of people that refuse to use credit cards and more that cannot get a credit card. Cash and debit cards are their only options.

Weeks? All banks use a match-hold system. When an authorization comes in a hold in placed, when the transaction settles the bank matches it up to holds and if the dollars match the hold is removed and a withdrawal is done. The problem happens with Travel and Entertainment like RCI. The pre-auths don't match the final bill and the hold reverts to whatever the bank wants. Most banks are less than 7 days, many only 3 days, but there are these nutty banks that leave them for 30 days. IMHO there should be a law! BTW your credit line on your credit card is also held. If you are close to your credit limit, you could easily be denied.

It's important to know how your bank treats you as a debit card customer. Any bank that holds your funds for weeks does not deserve your business.