Terrorist threats in Turkey

lizboyle

Here, in the UK, the government are aware of specific threats to tourists travelling to Turkey and advising against travel to many parts of Turkey, especially after the recent bloodbaths in Tunisia. We are on Journey in 4 weeks time and the cruise finishes with 2 nights in Istanbul. We have visited Istanbul and Kusadasi many times on a cruise, always felt safe in Kusadasi and were always vigilant in Istanbul. Is there any chance that these ports of call will be changed? I know how seriously Azamara treat security of their guests. I am just wondering if Azamara are thinking along the lines of the UK government? Please don't comment that I'd be better worrying about earthquakes etc. I am merely asking a question given the fact that we Brits have been advised this by our government.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/584278/Terror-threat-MILLIONS-holidaymakers-ISIS-target-TURKEY-Foreign-Office

Interesting question.

I know nothing about The Express as a newspaper, but is this alarmist language typical?

Right now, the Canadian govt. is advising caution, with particular attention, obviously, to the border with Syria,

Interesting question.

I know nothing about The Express as a newspaper, but is this alarmist language typical?

Right now, the Canadian govt. is advising caution, with particular attention, obviously, to the border with Syria,

The border with Syria is a hotspot but the UK government have issued that Istanbul is a specific target for terrorist attacks at this moment. Sadly, they are normally correct with their intelligence, hence my question about the change of ports.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-202491/Stay-away-Turkey-Britons-told.html

The actual current UK Gov't advice is:

"The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advise against all travel to within 10 km of the border with Syria.

The FCO advise against all but essential travel to:

##the remaining areas of Sirnak, Mardin, Sanliurfa, Gaziantep, Kilis and Hatay provinces

##Siirt, Tunceli and Hakkari provinces.

Over 2,500,000 British nationals visit Turkey every year. Most visits are trouble-free."

The extract from the Daily Mail is years old.

The Tunisia incident is horrible but I would not apply it to heighten any fear about Turkey.

The border with Syria is a hotspot but the UK government have issued that Istanbul is a specific target for terrorist attacks at this moment. Sadly, they are normally correct with their intelligence, hence my question about the change of ports.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-202491/Stay-away-Turkey-Britons-told.html

Curious to know if cancellation by the passenger an option if a official travel advisory has been issued....would travel insurance accept this as valid reason.

There are so many cruises beginning and ending in Istanbul this year I'm sure others must have had similiar concerns.

We have visited both Kusadasi and Istanbul recently and as of last June and I decided at that time that Istanbul was off limits for us until things settled down...in fact there have been even more occurences of violence which would lead me wonder why cruise lines would risk passenger safety. The links you provided are certainly alarming.

I hope you find the answer you are looking for and are able to find a favourable resolution to your concerns.

I think that the Daily Mail article you quote is at least ten years old. Jack Straw was foreign secretary from 2001 to 2005. However, it does show that not much has changed over the past ten years.

Apologies for posting the daily mail link. I realise it is an old article. However, there is plenty information out there that advises against going to Turkey, especially Istanbul. There have been many terrorist incidents there. Looks like I will be enjoying the hospitality and safety of the ship those days. :)

Curious to know if cancellation by the passenger an option if a official travel advisory has been issued....would travel insurance accept this as valid reason.

There are so many cruises beginning and ending in Istanbul this year I'm sure others must have had similiar concerns.

We have visited both Kusadasi and Istanbul recently and as of last June and I decided at that time that Istanbul was off limits for us until things settled down...in fact there have been even more occurences of violence which would lead me wonder why cruise lines would risk passenger safety. The links you provided are certainly alarming.

I hope you find the answer you are looking for and are able to find a favourable resolution to your concerns.

It is alarming. We have decided no more Turkey for us too. I'm confident in the security procedures of Azamara but not confident going ashore, which is disappointing. We will stay on the ship and enjoy the peace and quiet.

Apologies for posting the daily mail link. I realise it is an old article. However, there is plenty information out there that advises against going to Turkey, especially Istanbul. There have been many terrorist incidents there. Looks like I will be enjoying the hospitality and safety of the ship those days. :)

Can you please share where this information is so that we can be better informed. All I can find with a quick google search (in the UK) is advice not to travel close to the border with Syria and the article you quoted which is 10 years old. If we were to believe "news"papers like the Express and the Sun we would never travel anywhere

Edited by Bobal

Liz,

My wife and I are on the same cruise as you, and she very much shares your concerns.

She has also stated she will stay on board. We also have visited Kusadasi and Istanbul before with no problems. However, things are a bit more tense right now.

( my wife also refused to leave the ship when we visited Alexsndria)

It is alarming. We have decided no more Turkey for us too. I'm confident in the security procedures of Azamara but not confident going ashore, which is disappointing. We will stay on the ship and enjoy the peace and quiet.

I booked a 2017 cruise that begins in Istanbul. If the situation gets worse, I figure that Azamara will begin in Athens instead. Syria is a mess right now and Turkey borders Syria. I realize that is the other side of Turkey, but two years is a long ways away and anything can happen. Backup plan is a trip to Israel and that's a great option.

Not from your government though. https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/turkey

This one has me a little worried from 10 months ago.

In a recent television interview, the head of the government-backed Humanitarian Relief Foundation, Bulent Yildirim, said, “Turkish Jews will pay dearly” for Israel’s actions. He warned Jewish tourists: “Don’t dare come to Turkey.” Hours later, protesters descended on the Israeli Embassy in Ankara and the consulate in Istanbul, throwing stones, smashing windows and hanging a Palestinian flag on the home of the Israeli ambassador.

If my cruise starts in Istanbul in 2017, I would consider starting it two days later in Mykonos, not a bad place to spend a weekend.

This one has me a little worried from 10 months ago.

In a recent television interview, the head of the government-backed Humanitarian Relief Foundation, Bulent Yildirim, said, “Turkish Jews will pay dearly” for Israel’s actions. He warned Jewish tourists: “Don’t dare come to Turkey.” Hours later, protesters descended on the Israeli Embassy in Ankara and the consulate in Istanbul, throwing stones, smashing windows and hanging a Palestinian flag on the home of the Israeli ambassador.

If my cruise starts in Istanbul in 2017, I would consider starting it two days later in Mykonos, not a bad place to spend a weekend.

Likewise. I certainly would not give them a penny of my money..

The police used tear gas and water cannons on the Gay Pride parade in Istanbul today. The parade has been held for 13 years without incident.

We were in Istanbul in October. We hired a private tour guide for 3 days. He kept us away from the protests. I felt very uncomfortable and wished we had visited years ago when things were calm. Google Turkey, Kurds and ISIS. Make your own decisions.

BTW Machu Picchu was a 1000 times better than Istanbul. There are many places in the world that will still give you culture with a wow.

All this is so sad...we enjoyed Turkey as well as the people we dealt with.

Our river cruise down the Nile was awesome too and that was just after Obama was elected in his first term. The egyptians were so happy cause of talk of him being Muslim! The egyptians thought we were wonderful american tourists. It feels as though chip by chip the world is being closed of for us the adventurers!:confused:

The Holy Land cruise with princess about 6 years ago was surreal. A bit scary one particular time but surreal!!!

Security and safety is always our number one concern. If the risk level were deemed dangerous in any of our destinations we would make immediate changes based on that. Those of you following us can attest to various changes in itineraries we've made over the years.

At our corporate level we have a global security team that analyses all reports from governments and assesses risk every day.

In the UK we respond to the FCO (foreign and commonwealth office) advice. Of course Mr Twynam is available if you wish to be reassured.rtwynam@azamaraclubcruises.com

Security and safety is always our number one concern. If the risk level were deemed dangerous in any of our destinations we would make immediate changes based on that. Those of you following us can attest to various changes in itineraries we've made over the years.

At our corporate level we have a global security team that analyses all reports from governments and assesses risk every day.

In the UK we respond to the FCO (foreign and commonwealth office) advice. Of course Mr Twynam is available if you wish to be reassured.rtwynam@azamaraclubcruises.com

Hi Bonnie,

I have a deposit down for a July 2017 14-day cruise that begins in Istanbul. If I wanted to begin it in Mykonos on day 3, would Azamara accommodate me? I would say that I understand that Istanbul is not Ankara and we had a great time there on a cruise five summers ago, but at this point, I am still on the fence on this cruise given the situation.

Thanks, Len

Hi Bonnie,

I have a deposit down for a July 2017 14-day cruise that begins in Istanbul. If I wanted to begin it in Mykonos on day 3, would Azamara accommodate me? I would say that I understand that Istanbul is not Ankara and we had a great time there on a cruise five summers ago, but at this point, I am still on the fence on this cruise given the situation.

Thanks, Len

Hi Len. I am also booked on this cruise (Quest July 22 - Aug 5, 2017). I honestly wouldn't worry being that it's more than 2 years out. Many people on other cruise boards have reported nothing but positive reviews of Istanbul. It's a wonderful itinerary and I hope it remains unchanged. We have a long way to go! =)

Here, in the UK, the government are aware of specific threats to tourists travelling to Turkey and advising against travel to many parts of Turkey, especially after the recent bloodbaths in Tunisia. We are on Journey in 4 weeks time and the cruise finishes with 2 nights in Istanbul. We have visited Istanbul and Kusadasi many times on a cruise, always felt safe in Kusadasi and were always vigilant in Istanbul. Is there any chance that these ports of call will be changed? I know how seriously Azamara treat security of their guests. I am just wondering if Azamara are thinking along the lines of the UK government? Please don't comment that I'd be better worrying about earthquakes etc. I am merely asking a question given the fact that we Brits have been advised this by our government.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/584278/Terror-threat-MILLIONS-holidaymakers-ISIS-target-TURKEY-Foreign-Office

Liz, as far as I can tell the advice given by the FCO has not changed at present. The tragic events in Tunisia, France and Kuwait over the past few says has focussed the mind on many places around the world, including here. Reading typically sensationalist Express stories doesn't help. Istanbul is a place I've always wanted to go to and I fully intend to go to the Azamazing evening in Kusadasi too. Individuals of course have to make their own decisions, but it won't deter me from visiting a city I have wanted to go to for some time.

Phil

Hi Len, I agree with jvnyc, Istanbul is a fabulous city, you shouldn't miss it. And as said, two years is a long time away. In geopolitical time it's a lifetime.

That said, you asked if we would accommodate your boarding on Day 3. If you mean would we pro-rate your fare, no.

If you mean would we permit you to board that day, I'd say probably yes, assuming there are no legal or logistical issues, and the ship is notified well in advance. Permission would be decided by the office.

But you would miss the first two welcoming days onboard, not to mention Istanbul, one of my favorite cities to walk in!

Liz, as far as I can tell the advice given by the FCO has not changed at present. The tragic events in Tunisia, France and Kuwait over the past few says has focussed the mind on many places around the world, including here. Reading typically sensationalist Express stories doesn't help. Istanbul is a place I've always wanted to go to and I fully intend to go to the Azamazing evening in Kusadasi too. Individuals of course have to make their own decisions, but it won't deter me from visiting a city I have wanted to go to for some time.

Phil

Phil, I don't think The Express is sensationalising it. Every paper I open has warnings about increased risk of terrorism in Turkey as well as several other countries. I too, will go to the Azamazing evening in Kusadsi. Istanbul, I'm not so sure of. I've been there twice before. It is an interesting place. I'm 100% sure Azamara will keep us safe. I will more than likely stay on the ship and relax.

Thank you Bonnie. Very reassuring.

Liz,

My wife and I are on the same cruise as you, and she very much shares your concerns.

She has also stated she will stay on board. We also have visited Kusadasi and Istanbul before with no problems. However, things are a bit more tense right now.

Us Scottish lassies must be worriers! I know I am 😟. It's no hardship for me to enjoy the great facilities of the ship. Comfy sun lounger, book, food and drink and I'm happy! 😀

Liz,

Scottie99,

Have you signed up for the Meet and Greet onboard? It's a nice way to meet fellow cruisers.

Edited by lizboyle