Tipping Question

jaee901

Hi. I am in a mini-suite and I'm trying to figure out how much most people tip the person who takes care of their cabin.

Do I pre-tip?

Do I pre & post tip?

I don't want to be cheap.

Thanks for your help.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would say a good rule of thumb is $5 per person per day. However people's thoughts on tipping vary greatly. You will get a wide variety of responses from "their tip is included in the DSC" so no extra tip is needed to something like I suggested or possibly even more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pay your DSC and nothing else is expected. If you ask for extra things or if someone does an exceptional job, a tip at the end is a nice gesture but not required.

I never pre-tip; it feels insulting to me. Like I don't think the person will do their job unless I wave money at them.

Pay your DSC and nothing else is expected. If you ask for extra things or if someone does an exceptional job, a tip at the end is a nice gesture but not required.

I never pre-tip; it feels insulting to me. Like I don't think the person will do their job unless I wave money at them.

I never thought of that, pre-tipping being insulting, but that definitely makes sense.

Many cruise lines we have been on have stewards and assistants. Does NCL just assign one person to a group of cabins or two? When we have run into a head and assistant situation, we have ended up tipping both (head more than assistant).

I pay the DSC and consider my tipping covered. If I feel anyone has performed above and beyond the call, I will give them a little something extra or if I ask for something above and beyond regular duties, I will tip.

Thanks everyone! I paid it just now so it's one less thing to worry about!

Just to clarify... most of the posts were just like I thought. I stand by my original answer. I always give a cash tip to my steward. Regardless of the DSC.

I would say a good rule of thumb is $5 per person per day. However people's thoughts on tipping vary greatly. You will get a wide variety of responses from "their tip is included in the DSC" so no extra tip is needed to something like I suggested or possibly even more.

I know you said you stand by this post, but it did not clarify for those that want to tip extra. $5 per person to who? Steward. Steward assistant. Waiter. Bartender. Maitre de. Dishwasher. Cook. Security. Shuttle driver. Bingo person. Buffet staff. Engineers. Laundry staff. Hallway cleaners. etc. ???

I know you said you stand by this post, but it did not clarify for those that want to tip extra. $5 per person to who? Steward. Steward assistant. Waiter. Bartender. Maitre de. Dishwasher. Cook. Security. Shuttle driver. Bingo person. Buffet staff. Engineers. Laundry staff. Hallway cleaners. etc. ???

The OP is specifically talking about the Steward.

The OP is specifically talking about the Steward.

True... but if you tip the steward for doing their job, why not tip others? Just an open discussion.

Thanks everyone! I paid it just now so it's one less thing to worry about!

Exactly.... now if your onboard experience is enhanced by someone "who goes,the extra mile", we do,tip,them.

However, do not like room steward who was invisible all week and has his hand out on last day. When I have had to track down clean towels at 4 in the afternoon, no go.

We have had a room steward who ended up doing most of what our butler should have done. Butler MIA so, room steward got tip originally set aside for butler. He deserved it.

Hi. I am in a mini-suite and I'm trying to figure out how much most people tip the person who takes care of their cabin.

Do I pre-tip?

Do I pre & post tip?

I don't want to be cheap.

Thanks for your help.

We post tip if it's merited.

I post tipped our room steward, for mostly one reason. He left us alone! We don't ask for much. A few times I mentioned he didn't have to "turn our room down" in the evening. I appreciate tidying up the room in the morning and a fresh supply of towels. After that I'm good to go. He was also very nice and on the quiet side. Something else I appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...

I have real concerns about tipping. The "process" is really bewildering.

A few years back on a NE cruise, my DH handed our cabin steward some money the last day. He seemed actually insulted. It was meant to be extra. How do we (or he) know if he would get his share of our prepaid tip? John's fave shaving cream went missing, so we wondered...

I worry that the cruise company collects our tips and doesn't share them (or not adequately). Also, when I give a certain amount of tip, does staff know how much I've given? I want to choose who gets them, not necessarily share with all staff. I just have issues with how my money is handled. I want control.

Staff is generally hardworking and certainly earns a fair tip. Some cruisers I dine with don't want to tip at all- horrors. I don't think prepaid tipping works. A person should earn his/her tip.

I generally opt out of a charge on my account. I take envelopes to personally make sure the staff who help me is rewarded with cash.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This topic has been discussed by many and for a long time.

I don't have the answers to "who gets the DSC" or "who deserves

a tip" or "why should I give my money to the crew when I've already

paid for the cruise"... I do, however, pay the DSC and hope that

those who are deserving, including those in the background, will

receive some form of remuneration.

I've read some talk about who gets what part, some get more than others, but

I don't work for the cruise line so, IMO, if I pay the DSC, I'm doing my

part to ensure that those behind the scenes are receiving some of what I pay.

We always gave extra to those we felt were deserving of recognition, however,

I think most appreciated the "Hero card" with the recognition of good service

as much as the actual extra tip money. I can't tip the person who washes my

sheets and makes them so nice and clean nor can I tip the person in the kitchen who

ensures that my steak is cooked to perfection so, my hope is that by paying the

DSC, they will be rewarded if I tip the cabin steward and waiter since it means

they did a good job.

I believe we need to do what we feel is right and that's what I will continue

to do.

Enjoy your cruises.

Cheers,

Connie

I have real concerns about tipping. The "process" is really bewildering.

A few years back on a NE cruise, my DH handed our cabin steward some money the last day. He seemed actually insulted. It was meant to be extra. How do we (or he) know if he would get his share of our prepaid tip? John's fave shaving cream went missing, so we wondered...

I worry that the cruise company collects our tips and doesn't share them (or not adequately). Also, when I give a certain amount of tip, does staff know how much I've given? I want to choose who gets them, not necessarily share with all staff. I just have issues with how my money is handled. I want control.

Staff is generally hardworking and certainly earns a fair tip. Some cruisers I dine with don't want to tip at all- horrors. I don't think prepaid tipping works. A person should earn his/her tip.

I generally opt out of a charge on my account. I take envelopes to personally make sure the staff who help me is rewarded with cash.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It was very unprofessional by your steward to show any displeasure. You are not required to give any tips on top of DSC. Anything extra is your decision and usually for service that you felt was beyond expected.

We have never experienced this wether we gave additional tip or nothing.