A few points and observations about HAL’s wine policy. Yes again!

I've noticed that a few people seem to think it's not good form to ask others abut their experiences.

This is cruise critic and it's about both positive negative criticism, whilst also being about asking questions and providing answers, which I'm very appreciate of.

What I don't like, or understand, is when people don't see that we thankfully live in a relatively free society, crucially with freedom of speech.

HAL's previous wine policy very happily allowed wine, including boxed, to be taken onboard. Just because THEY changed their minds whilst looking forward to bigger $$$, I don't feel that I have to change my habit or views. It's not a serious rule in the grand scheme of things.

I feel it would be foolish for anyone to believe that HAL don't expect regulars to not continue doing what they did. They will fully expect it, they just can't say it publicly. At the end of the day, the majority will conform and they will bring in the extra $$$.

We love HAL cruises, but if the day comes when we get stopped for bringing wine onboard, that will be the day we seriously look elsewhere.

Would HAL really want to lose this type of customer? Maybe, maybe not.

There are plenty onboard that don't drink alcohol, so they're not making the extra $$$ from them either.

Allow me to pose this question...Why is it still OK to bring any other non alcoholic beverages onboard? Surely if this policy comes down to $$$ it's the same concept? i.e. you bring your own and don't purchase onboard. I don't see anything fair about having one rule for one and one for the other. Just my opinion.

I've also noticed that some on this forum snub boxed wine in quite a blunt way. Yes, you get good bottles of wine that are aged in bottle, but, in reality lots of wine these days is shipped in vast containers then bottled in the country/area of sale. So, what's the difference? It's a very convenient and secure item to pack into baggage with very very little chance of breakage. We've done it for years and know nobody else that's had leakage issues. It's packed very very well even before it's within checked baggage.

I'll be really honest here. We save really hard to cruise and have chosen HAL for the majority. We like our wine on our balcony, as many do. For those of you lucky enough not to have to consider the extra (and excessive) cost of purchasing wine onboard, that's great, you are very lucky. We however can't afford that extra. It's either take the wine, don't cruise, or don't drink. There's only one realistic option there;)

So, I feel totally OK to ask the original question again. I want to hear people's experiences if they wish to share them. Those that don't, that's great, but I really would prefer not to be shot down in flames for exercising my right to freedom of speech.

Who am I kidding!:D

Edited by richardukcruise

No snub on boxed wine but it is not permitted on board. Simple as that.

We will bring wine on board in certain European ports but we know we will pay a corkage fee. As long as you are prepared to do so, I don't see any issue.

One CC member reported that a hotel manager reported that it was the cases of wine being loaded that caused them to change the policy. None of us will ever know how much it influenced Seattle to change the policy, but if it was a factor it may explain partially why sodas and water are still permitted, not to mention the price differential

Edited by kazu

Their ship, their rules: no boxed wine and all bottles must be brought in hand-carried baggage. If you get caught smuggling, expect to have your boxed wine taken and held until the end of the cruise. No rationalization on your part changes that. Deal with it.

Edited by jtl513

Their ship, their rules: no boxed wine and all bottles must be brought in hand-carried baggage. If you get caught smuggling, expect to have your boxed wine taken and held until the end of the cruise. No rationalization on your part changes that. Deal with it.

That pretty much sums it up. Rules apply to everyone and there is no opting out clause in the policy statement.

Well I guess I am just a rule follower...if a cruise line, airline, train, bus, etc. Has rules posted I assume they are enacted for a good reason and that is enough for me. Whomever the governing body is has a right to change the rules.

Also, I find it a tad far-fetched to believe that you say that you: 1) can afford to cruise. 2) can afford a balcony cabin (when, BTW, many who cruise stay in inside or outside window cabins).,,but can not afford to buy wine on board? I must be missing something?

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

I still think the solution is to let you bring on as many bottles as you want but charge a corkage fee on all of them. If HAL had a decent wine offering it would not be so bad either.

That is the current policy isn't it? Each adult can bring one bottle without paying a corkage if they drink it in their room. Every additional bottle you bring on you pay the corkage. I do not see a limit on how many you can bring onboard, as long as you pay the corkage.

Edited by Linda&Vern

That is the current policy isn't it? Each adult can bring one bottle without paying a corkage if they drink it in their room. Every additional bottle you bring on you pay the corkage. I do not see a limit on how many you can bring onboard, as long as you pay the corkage.

I think you have to be able to carry it yourself though so that might limit the number you can bring at one time.

How much $ is the courage fee?

$18 a bottle.

The thing is, if you are looking it at it from finances, if you have the $18 corkage on your say $12 bottle of wine that is $30 and likely still cheaper than what HAL charges.

For the most part we are not big drinkers. We enjoy the odd glass of wine with dinner. If we took 2 bottles of wine on board, they would last us the cruise.

I also find it interesting though the comment above about paying for the cruise and balcony but not being able to afford the wine on board. Yes it is not cheap but no more so than a nice restaurant. there are many of us who choose a cheaper cabin to be able to afford some of the luxuries on board. If wine is so important, why not consider that?

I also find it interesting though the comment above about paying for the cruise and balcony but not being able to afford the wine on board. Yes it is not cheap but no more so than a nice restaurant. there are many of us who choose a cheaper cabin to be able to afford some of the luxuries on board. If wine is so important, why not consider that?

Or a cheaper cruise line. Obviously he can afford to buy wine on board or pay corkage on bottles, but doesn't want to. Edited by jtl513

I will just say that I'm sorry for the ban for boxed wine and don't understand it. If I carry it on and pay corkage for it what is the issue? There are some ok sip on the balcony boxed wines, they are safer to lug and keep the wine better than an opened bottle. Yes yes I know its the rules etc etc and do not intend to break the rules but resent the "because I said so" attitude. If I heard a good reason then ok. (I know--because HAL said so...)

I will just say that I'm sorry for the ban for boxed wine and don't understand it. If I carry it on and pay corkage for it what is the issue? There are some ok sip on the balcony boxed wines, they are safer to lug and keep the wine better than an opened bottle. Yes yes I know its the rules etc etc and do not intend to break the rules but resent the "because I said so" attitude. If I heard a good reason then ok. (I know--because HAL said so...)

I think the boxed wine is banned because it is virtually undetectable in X-ray machines. Just read an article about that on another website that I cannot mention here.

Terri

It could be a volume thing as most boxes are bigger than 750 ml. There are some 750 ml format boxes and tetrapaks though.

I will just say that I'm sorry for the ban for boxed wine and don't understand it. If I carry it on and pay corkage for it what is the issue?
The only thing I can think of is the quantity. I know Black Box wines are the equivalent of four 750 ml bottles. Aren't other brands in larger quantity boxes too? If they allowed 3 liter boxes would you be willing to pay $54 corkage? (That's 750 ml free, 2250 ml paid)

I think the boxed wine is banned because it is virtually undetectable in X-ray machines.
But why aren't we allowed to carry boxes in our hand baggage and pay corkage on it?

edit: sorry POA1, I was still checking while you were posting. :)

Edited by jtl513

I still think the solution is to let you bring on as many bottles as you want but charge a corkage fee on all of them. If HAL had a decent wine offering it would not be so bad either.

On my last HA cruise, I found it was agreeable to purchase several quality bottles of wine in Europe and have HA store them to bring home for later use without paying a corkage fee.

Another possible reason for banning boxed wines is that it is very easy to substitute the contents. One could easily enjoy the wine at home and then refill it with one's favourite liquor. Yes, the same could be accomplished with bottles, but with a bit more difficulty.

We never brought wine aboard because we didn't feel the desire to lug heavy containers...... be that bottle or box.

I am a rule follower, for the most part.

If I don't like a company's rules, I look elsewhere.

I don't feel HAL's current policy is all that different from cruise lines in like category.

Most cruise lines not in the deluxe category do not permit large quantities of wine to be brought aboard and many do not permit box at all.

I agree with POA it could be a quantity issue.

I won't be bringing wine aboard now and it has nothing to do with corkage fee. I never did it when there was no charge.

OP, I fully understand your message. I am not 'turning my nose' at the idea of boxed wine. I see it as a company having the right to run their company under the rules they choose. If we don't like their rules, we vote with our wallets. I hope you find away to enjoy your HAL cruises in the way you wish.

Edited by sail7seas

We love to cruise and had only cruised Princess prior to our one HAL cruise. We were shocked by the prices of their wines. It forced us to bring our own on board and happily pay corkage fee. They do offer deals (if I understand correctly) if you are at certain loyalty levels, but seriously doubt we will ever reach any loyalty levels. Yes, we do enjoy our wine. I did enjoy other aspects of HAL but don't think my DH will entertain another voyage with them anytime soon.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I would be willing to pay appropriate corkage, that's why I don't understand the rule. As has been said by the rule followers...them's the rules put up quietly or go elsewhere.

It's not a huge deal but one that doesn't make sense to me and when it does doesn't make sense I say so, even if I choose to follow the rules.

After all we have a history of questioning, didn't a bunch of non-rule followers pollute Boston harbor with a spot of tea?

Edited by mountainmare

I've noticed that a few people seem to think it's not good form to ask others abut their experiences.

Allow me to pose this question...Why is it still OK to bring any other non alcoholic beverages onboard? Surely if this policy comes down to $$$ it's the same concept? i.e. you bring your own and don't purchase onboard. I don't see anything fair about having one rule for one and one for the other. Just my opinion.

This is a valid question. And I have a feeling that someday the cruiselines will disallow the water,soda carry ons too. Because they are more difficult to lug onboard, I don't think the amount of people doing it is a big concern for HAL. But because some itineraries and lines are more family oriented, the offers of soda cards are expanding in prep for the banning of the soft drink/water carryons.

So, I feel totally OK to ask the original question again. I want to hear people's experiences if they wish to share them.

I think that on all cruiseline boards you will find anecdotes of people that escaped the security policies and some that did indeed have to pay the corkage or turn over their wine....at embarkation and/or ports of call. Problem with asking how it went in general, doesn't help when it seems the actual enforcement at ports and ships and date varies tremendously. As long as you are willing to face any consequences IF you are stopped, there's no harm in trying to do whatever. Your call.

I would be willing to pay appropriate corkage, that's why I don't understand the rule.
I think you are the exception, and most would balk at $54 to $72 per box. Certainly the OP would not pay! He wants to sneak it on in his luggage. It's his whole point that he doesn't want to pay anything. Edited by jtl513

I don't feel HAL's current policy is all that different from cruise lines in like category.

HAL is actually less restrictive than RCI. They will only allow two bottles per cabin on embarkation. If you bring wine on board from a port it will be taken away until the end of the cruise. No option to keep it and pay corkage.