Anxious to Book.

Fakkedup

My boyfriend and I are looking to go on a 6-9 day cruise somewhere exotic but neither of us have any experience, knowledge, nor friends/family to help us decide on which of the many there are!

We're both in our young 20's.

Common grounds for both of us: Nightlife (him higher-class And home-town bars, myself clubs and rave-style), adventurous and looking to explore, gambling (although we can do without), comedy, and we are both very competitive, we also bore easily so would like a range of activities.

Him: More of a sightseer, easy going, he's a Marine (so very particular). Likes class and sophistication (not snooty and black-tie).

Me: More like, "Let's do absolutely everything we can!" Free-spirited, searching for a rush! Loves live music and DJs!

Is there any cruise leaving from any port out of either California or Miami that sounds like it could suit us both? I know it's asking a lot.

Thanks in advance,

Noob Cruiser. <3

First...head to a travel agency in your town...tell them what you've told us, and they will make suggestions and give you brochures so you can get a "feel" for each cruise line.

"Class and sophistication" are going to give you a ship without much nightlife....certainly not a nightclub/rave atmosphere!

Carnival, RCI and NCL's larger ships will have TONS to do..whether they will fit your style is another story!

I have to ask what 'young 20's ' is. How old are you? Most cruise lines do not allow anyone under 25 to cruise unless they are cruising with someone 26 or older. Unless you are under 25 and married.

The Caribbean isn't exactly exotic but also think the Med.

But do see a travel agent. We have friends who actually stopped in Iceland on their cruise!

A travel agent has all the info on different places you can cruise to.

I agree that you probably need to talk to a travel agent and also do your own on line research.

Check out specific cruise line websites. There can be a lot of difference between ships, even within the same cruise line.

From an activities point of view look at Royal Caribbean Oasis, Freedom or Voyageur class of ships. Notice I said class - there are different ships within each class. RC has a lot of sports-related activities from rock climbing, ice skating to flow riders. Full sports court for pickup games of basketball, soccer, etc. Sounds like you would enjoy such competitive activities.

You mentioned sailing out of Miami - don't overlook Fort Lauderdale and Port Canaveral/Orlando.

You also didn't mention costs - what are you looking to spend. Europe, Asia is going to be more expensive than Caribbean.

Well Miami is the largest cruise port in the U.S. and has the most to choose from. NCL is the best for younger cruisers. The larger the ship, the more to do.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Would not agree that NCL is the best for younger cruisers. A lot of younger cruisers sail Carnival and Royal Caribbean. Personally I think RC is a good choice. That's why OP needs to talk to TA and research.

Miami is the #1 cruise port in terms of passengers, followed by Port Canaveral and Fort Lauderdale. Given OP is from Minnesota and therefore assume flying I think they should consider all three ports. Miami and FLL are so close together it really doesn't make a difference.

Would not agree that NCL is the best for younger cruisers. A lot of younger cruisers sail Carnival and Royal Caribbean. Personally I think RC is a good choice. That's why OP needs to talk to TA and research.

Miami is the #1 cruise port in terms of passengers, followed by Port Canaveral and Fort Lauderdale. Given OP is from Minnesota and therefore assume flying I think they should consider all three ports. Miami and FLL are so close together it really doesn't make a difference.

RCCL is good for younger cruisers as long as they get the larger/newer ship. CCL is good also as they do trend younger in Florida. Not so much in NYC. Most up north pick NCL if they are younger.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

I have to ask what 'young 20's ' is. How old are you? Most cruise lines do not allow anyone under 25 to cruise unless they are cruising with someone 26 or older. Unless you are under 25 and married.
This info is not correct. Most cruise lines will allow people who are 21 or older to book a cabin together. It's when one person is under 21 the other has to be at least 25.

I agree that you need to look over some actual brochures and spend some face time with a TA who has cruise experience. Not the least because of your descriptions of your and your SOs preferences. You're going to have to do some compromising. I can't think of a single ship that offers everything that you both want.

You aren't going to find "exotic" sailing on a relatively short trip out of any American port. But you can at least find a large variety of Caribbean Ports by looking at sailings from any of the Florida ports.

Your budget may end up determining which line you sail with. Carnival, Royal Caribbean, and Norwegian are your likely lines with broad appeal to your demographic. But each has a very different vibe. That's where a TA can help.

Mebbe it's just me but I find class and sophistication synonymous with black tie and snooty in many ways

Anyone with true class or sophistication is the opposite of snooty. Such a person knows how to interact personably with all types of people, whether they are a CEO or a custodian.

Nor does it equal black tie- a casual outfit can also be sophisticated or "classy". It's a matter if fashion choice, but usually excludes slogan tee shirts and Daisy dukes

Anyone with true class or sophistication is the opposite of snooty. Such a person knows how to interact personably with all types of people, whether they are a CEO or a custodian.

Nor does it equal black tie- a casual outfit can also be sophisticated or "classy". It's a matter if fashion choice, but usually excludes slogan tee shirts and Daisy dukes

Where is the high-five smilie when you need it?!! (y)

True, but I didn't say it equals, rather in many ways.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

For the OP: if you've never cruised nor travelled to Caribbean Islands, Bermuda, Mexican Riviera, -- I believe you will find them all exotic enough. Some CC'ers have been to any and all so much they may be jaded!

I've never sailed on one, but just about any of the larger/newer ships (as others have recommended) will have things for both of you, such as 'Irish' bars homey enough for SO, nightclubs for you.

Shop around the websites (following the suggestions above) and look at itineraries (and prices!). Once you get some ideas, try the next to top banner on any Cruise Critic page: [Find A Cruise] link. The format of that page is scheduled to be updated v.v.soon! Even if it hasn't yet, it may give you specific cruises you might have missed on your own, and ideas of prices.

I know you mentioned going out of Miami or CA, but you're in MN, so consider leaving from the NYC area. Check out NCL Breakaway or Royal Caribbean Anthem of the Seas. I think Anthem may be a bit more classier. Both have a lot of activities on-board. You could also look at Celebrity Summit but it might be a bit more laid back.

You can check out reviews on those ships on their respective boards to see if anything strikes your fancy.