Breakfast attire in dining room

DoggyDaddy

"Standards" is the issue, and we guests have an obligation to abide by the standards the cruise ship sets forth. That works both ways: We must comply with those standards ourselves and not allow our own personal standards to affect other guests' enjoyment of their cruise even if our own standards exceed that of the cruise ship. That doesn't mean anyone needs to dress down, but rather only that one's dissatisfaction with the fact that someone else does not wish to exceed the same standards in the same way shouldn't manifest as behaviors or attitude toward that other guest.

This post may have been entered by voice recognition. Please excuse any typographical errors.

Well put. I never said my opinion or standards had enforcement power. I'll repeat from an earlier post, others' manner of dress does not affect our enjoyment of a cruise. It does, however, give us something to talk about. :)

Well put. I never said my opinion or standards had enforcement power. I'll repeat from an earlier post, others' manner of dress does not affect our enjoyment of a cruise. It does, however, give us something to talk about. :)

(bold is mine) Of course it does. Your comment reminds me of a package of cocktail napkins I saw recently. It showed 2 or 3 well-dressed women (1950s style) and said "I never judge people. I wait until I'm with my best friends and we judge them together."

What others do, up to a point, doesn't affect or bother me. Bathrobes at breakfast in the Lido, and ball caps in the MDR at dinner are not acceptable to me, but it doesn't affect us.

Agree pretty much. Ball caps in the MDR, especially at dinner, make me shake my head. Speaking of bathrobes - on the Royal Princess in March I watched in disbelief as a guy in pyjamas and slippers helped himself to food in the buffet at breakfast. That was a new one on me and everyone he walked by looked on in disbelief. I could only think that maybe the old guy lost a bet or had early on set dementia.

(bold is mine) Of course it does. Your comment reminds me of a package of cocktail napkins I saw recently. It showed 2 or 3 well-dressed women (1950s style) and said "I never judge people. I wait until I'm with my best friends and we judge them together."
Love it! Judgement requires a jury, and this forum doesn't specify the number of members.

As far as kilts go, there's nothing wrong with "breezing" into a room. Besides, all lack-of-underwear complaints were directed at breakfast, and I've only seen kilts on board on Gala Night.

If those offended by bathrobes - here's partial list of where you might not want to go: St. Regis Bal Harbor, St. Regis Bahia Beach, St. Regis Aspen, St. Regis Deer Valley, Westin Hilton Head, Westin Mission Hills, JW Marriott Phoenix, Four Seasos Scottsdale, Monarch Beach Resort, Ritz Carlton Dana Point, Stein Eriksen Lodge, The Chateaux Deer Valley, Mauna Kea Hotel, Hapuna Beach Hotel, Montage Laguna Beach, Montage Deer Valley, Montage Kapalua, Ritz Carlton Kapalua, Alpenhotel Zechmeisterlehen (Konigsee, Germany)...

The only place I saw a robe at the Ritz-Carlton Kapalua was in the spa. It would definitely have raised eyebrows on the rest of the property.

I'm sure this has been asked before but I couldn't find it. What is the acceptable attire for breakfast (and lunch) in the main Dining Room? Is it acceptable to wear shorts and a Polo or T shirt? I assume that this is OK in the Lido.

DD

I never enter the MDR without a jacket. EVER! Sure, I'm the exception but you know what? I'm the exception! I like the attention. People appreciate it and I like looking good. Go ahead and slum if you want to...You will probably be granted admission because HAL is very accommodating, but please, consider the rest of us.

And, no lying here, as someone intimated. I saw country club casual and shorts and Tshirts in the MDR for breakfast and lunch. Flip flops were also seen. No one looked like they came off the basketball court.

Baggy shorts and sweat stained T-shirts are straight off the courts...basketball or otherwise.

I never enter the MDR without a jacket. EVER! Sure, I'm the exception but you know what? I'm the exception! I like the attention. People appreciate it and I like looking good. Go ahead and slum if you want to...You will probably be granted admission because HAL is very accommodating, but please, consider the rest of us.

YAY! for you and your clothing choice. I do appreciate it. I mean it.

Thank you!

It's not a matter of attention, for me it is a matter of habit: when I go out to eat with my wife I wear a jacket - and add a tie on "gala" nights. Not a packing problem, because I wear a blazer when flying - the pockets are good for docs, etc.

It's not a matter of attention, for me it is a matter of habit: when I go out to eat with my wife I wear a jacket - and add a tie on "gala" nights. Not a packing problem, because I wear a blazer when flying - the pockets are good for docs, etc.

Thank you, too. I always notice the guys who wear jackets in the DR on Casual Nights. A sight for sore eyes and I appreciate it.

And you are the judge of acceptability because...?
Good point. We are seeing a lot of Alleged Certainty fallacies being thrown around: "Everybody knows that...", "Common sense dictates that...", "People everywhere recognize that..." These are all meaningless comments, intended to make one's personal opinion sound more important and universal than it really is. While there are legitimate ways to communicate the acceptable attired in the dining room, Alleged Certainty is not one of them.

NO ONE cares....except perhaps a very small percentage of the very small percentage of cruisers who post on this form!

Next, people will be making judgements and fashion statements on the colour of men's socks or the colour of women's shoes.

Why not just show up, have a great great cruise, and not be in the least bit concerned or judgmental about what some other cruiser who you don't even know may or may not be wearing? Why is it so important that they dress to your standards-whatever those standards happen to be. The cruise line sets, and enforces the standards. Other folks are not necessarily sheep or so insecure that they feel the need to conform to someone else's perceived norm.

NO ONE cares....except perhaps a very small percentage of the very small percentage of cruisers who post on this form!

Next, people will be making judgements and fashion statements on the colour of men's socks or the colour of women's shoes.

Why not just show up, have a great great cruise, and not be in the least bit concerned or judgmental about what some other cruiser who you don't even know may or may not be wearing? Why is it so important that they dress to your standards-whatever those standards happen to be. The cruise line sets, and enforces the standards. Other folks are not necessarily sheep or so insecure that they feel the need to conform to someone else's perceived norm.

(bold is mine) You do know the rule about no white shoes after Labor Day, right?