Viewing the night sky from Carnival ships

I live in a big city, so looking at the night sky filled with stars is a rarity for me. So I was wondering if I would be able to see night sky the way it was meant to be seen. On one hand, Carnival ships sail in the open ocean, a good distance away from the bright city lights. On the other hand, ships have outside lights of their own, which will block out the stars.

To get to the point, will there be a good view of the night sky from the top outside deck? (For Fantasy class ships, it'd be the Sun deck; not sure about others.) The kind with the sky being pitch black filled will thousands of stars of varying brightness and the Milky Way. If not, what outside areas are there where it's possible? On the Serenity deck, perhaps?

Also, while it's a long shot, do Carnival ships ever have "dark sky hours", where outside lights are turned off or at least dimmed, so people can enjoy the night sky for a little bit? Post your experiences.

We found a great spot on the Dream last fall. It was one of those "secret" doors all the way forward. I can't remember whether it was the 7th or 8th deck, but we went out there and there were NO lights anywhere. The ship's bridge is right in front and that's why I think they keep it dark. Anyhow, it was a perfect place to view the night sky. I have to admit though, it did get kind of creepy out there after a while in all that darkness. I mean it was dark enough that I couldn't even see the person I was with standing right next to me. Hope you find a spot like that on your sailing. :)

You're better off going to Western Samoa away from the captial, that is where I've seen the most stars in my life!

On a cruise ship NEVER, on our freighter cruise we did see the southern cross, but not a lot of other stars as the lights are always on.

Much better off going on a land vacation to some remote place for stars. ;)

Unfortunately, they don't allow you on the bow of the ship, like they do on the RCCL ships. There's even benches to lay on to sky watch.

On CCL, the only really dark spot is above the bridge, except for one sole light.

However, if you're on a Fantasy class ship, sneak out through the secret doors.

Weve been lucky and had good viewing from our Balcony. Its not ideal but beautiful nonetheless. I would suggest you go exploring your first nite. Maybe ask a crew member what they think. Make it an adventure and you just might find the perfect place. Either way, you are still going to see more than you see now. Good Luck.

We found a great spot on the Dream last fall. It was one of those "secret" doors all the way forward. I can't remember whether it was the 7th or 8th deck, but we went out there and there were NO lights anywhere. The ship's bridge is right in front and that's why I think they keep it dark. Anyhow, it was a perfect place to view the night sky. I have to admit though, it did get kind of creepy out there after a while in all that darkness. I mean it was dark enough that I couldn't even see the person I was with standing right next to me. Hope you find a spot like that on your sailing. :)

Agreed, we went on the secret deck, deck 9 forward I believe, then took additional stairs once we were outside. Kind of erie, imho, but so pretty and peaceful! That was the only place I could truly see stars. I went out everynight just to look at them.

Also, while it's a long shot, do Carnival ships ever have "dark sky hours", where outside lights are turned off or at least dimmed, so people can enjoy the night sky for a little bit? Post your experiences.

The best place to view the night sky on cruise ships is the totally darkened bow. They have no lights as to not interfere with the bridge. Unfortunately, Carnival is not a cruise line that allows this.

Forming a tube with the cardboard backing of a large pad of paper should help considerably, too. Blocks out all residual light. Closing your eyes for a few moments also helps the pupils to dilate wide open for night-time vision.

Do try the secret door for your star gazing. On Fantasy class ships you can access it from the upper level of the main show lounge. Go through the doors in the back, past the door for the service bar and out onto the observation deck.

Some things to consider; if you cruise during a full moon you will not see many stars as the moonlight will obscure all but the brightest. Also being at sea you are in a very humid environment and some cloud cover is common. If you are lucky enough to pass through particularly dry atmospheric conditions, especially during a new moon you will be amply rewarded.

Click on this picture. It illustrates how to find the secret door.

Courtesy of CurtjeromeWild

2868301310079337728S600x600Q85.jpg

I was sailing on the Sensation, it was late, I was asleep, and a bright light woke me up. It was the light from a star. Why is that weird. I'm legally blind, and here was this star-so bright that I could see it, shining in my eyes. Unfortunatly I have not been able to recreate this since-humidity and the ships lights and the weather have not cooperated at all.

Best dark sky party-Cedar Key Florida in February:D google Cedar Key Dark sky party

Where can I go on the Legend to see a nice dark sky?

Where can I go on the Legend to see a nice dark sky?

Atlantic Deck (deck three) on Spirit Class ships like Legend have an exterior promenade that wraps around the entire back of the ship. The aft facing portion is outside the upper level of the main dining room but at night the lights will be dim and obscured by curtains. I would try here first as it shouldn't be too windy and should be dark.

Do try the secret door for your star gazing. On Fantasy class ships you can access it from the upper level of the main show lounge. Go through the doors in the back, past the door for the service bar and out onto the observation deck.

Click on this picture. It illustrates how to find the secret door.

Courtesy of CurtjeromeWild

2868301310079337728S600x600Q85.jpg

This is incredible! Thanks! I checked it against the deck plan of the Imagination. It's on the Atlantic deck (8), on the starboard side of the main show lounge. Although I think it's on the lower level, rather than the upper level. The upper part is on the Promenade deck (9), where the deck plan is different. And your diagram looks like the Atlantic deck. But either way, it makes things a whole lot easier.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

This area is perfect! While on the Destiny I couldnt even see my boyfriend out there at first(super dark because the bridge was right above us). I love going out there to look at the Sky.

The best place to view the night sky on cruise ships is the totally darkened bow. They have no lights as to not interfere with the bridge. Unfortunately, Carnival is not a cruise line that allows this.

Actually both ships I have been on have this.

Actually, the one place that I have seen the most stars is nearby in Rocky Mountain National Park. We like to go there at night to about 10,000 feet. On a clear night, not only can you see EVERY star in the sky, you can easily see the haze of the Milky Way. It's such a peaceful and tranquil experience, and on the way back, we stop and try to find the elk herds. Never seen nearly as many stars on a cruise as I can see here in the Rocky Mountains.

I live in a big city, so looking at the night sky filled with stars is a rarity for me. So I was wondering if I would be able to see night sky the way it was meant to be seen. On one hand, Carnival ships sail in the open ocean, a good distance away from the bright city lights. On the other hand, ships have outside lights of their own, which will block out the stars.

To get to the point, will there be a good view of the night sky from the top outside deck? (For Fantasy class ships, it'd be the Sun deck; not sure about others.) The kind with the sky being pitch black filled will thousands of stars of varying brightness and the Milky Way. If not, what outside areas are there where it's possible? On the Serenity deck, perhaps?

We've NEVER had any problems checking out the BILLIONS of stars in the night sky during any of our previous cruises (except when cloudy or raining).

:cool:Bill

Yellowstone NP is another great place to stargaze. Just take a few steps away from the campgrounds away from the roads, and look up. Like the poster above, I've never seen as many stars on a cruise, even from my dark balcony, as from the park. (Part of the problem with a balcony, there is always someone fairly close to you who doesn't seem to realize that light switchs work both ways. Kind of like my kids when they were teens, I guess.)

I've star gazed on the bows of 2 RCCL ships. It's beautiful, very dark, and sort of scary. I'll be sailing on the Triumph in a couple of weeks and the Magic in November. I'll be searching for those Carnival night sky viewing spots.