What is your favorite thread of all time?

As a member for close to 13 years, I have seen it all. Some poignant, some annoying and some downright hilarious.

Just wondering, which thread would top your list.

For me, it was the woman who was thrown off the ship with her husband who had " herbs" stashed in a fake soda can for consumption on the ship.

One, two, three go!

Aquahound's camera recovery and sea turtle video story remain at the top of my list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hahaha - you beat me to it by one minute :D

Any review by SailorJack. Use the search function. Here's one:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=797459&highlight=sailorjack

An excerpt:

Day 1 – Dover

We arrive at the Dover Docks and see the Jewell, gleaming in the bright morning sun and reflecting the spectacular white cliffs of Dover. A welcoming NCL agent gives us a warm greeting and hands us a nicely printed letter:

“Dear Valued Guest:

This letter is to inform you that on our previous sailing approximately 150 percent of the guests on board experienced the symptoms of severe gastroenteritis. Symptoms included diarrhea, vomiting, nausea, body cramps, fever and osteoporosis.” (O.K., I made up the osteoporosis part).

This was alarming news! I turned to SailorJill and told her that I was starting to feel a little dizzy. She responded that a) that was my normal state, and b) we weren’t even on board yet.

I immediately felt better and we continued on to the registration area. Despite the understandable delay caused by the crew’s effort to disinfect the ship, the boarding process was the smoothest and most organized we have ever experienced.

In the very comfortable waiting room we met two delightful couples from Oklahoma, and were gladdened to learn that not only was Oklahoma no longer a Territory, but that its University was now fully accredited! I mentioned that while I had never visited the state, I had something in common with them, as I had once owned a Merle Haggard record.

At 12:30 we were allowed to board the ship and given full use of the pubic rooms, but could not go to the staterooms as they were still being sterilized. Once boarded, we headed to the Garden Café for lunch and discovered the safety routine that was to follow us on the entire cruise – we could not touch anything. Upon entering the Café, a crewmember, standing behind a guarded table handed you 1 plate, 1 knife, 1 fork, and a napkin. Other crewmembers, standing behind the buffet line, placed the food on your plate – in near approximation to the amount requested, filled a glass (or cup) of your requested beverage, and dispensed condiments (mustard, ketchup, hot sauce, etc.) in little paper cups.

Even salt and pepper shakers were banned from the table -to be replaced by little individual packets that were dispensed, upon request, by the Guardian of the Plates (a very powerful position. If you were able to amuse her or get on her good side she would sometimes even give you a second plate for bread or dessert – or even …a spoon!)

Gratefully, however, we were permitted to chew the food ourselves.

Later that afternoon there was an announcement that the staterooms were now available. Thankfully, we headed down to our stateroom to unload our carry-on luggage and to shower. Entering the room I immediately felt that something was amiss. It did not take me long to realize that while the stateroom came “en suite”, there was no “en beds”. There was nothing to sleep on! Perhaps this was the reason I had received such a good deal for the cruise.

Not sure as to how SailorJill would react to two weeks at sea without a bed, I tried to cheer her up by suggesting we go up to the shops and see if they had any futons. After getting “the Look” I decided that it might be better if I go up to Reception and speak to the Hotel Manager.

As I had expected, he had trouble accepting the fact that there were no beds in the stateroom and suggested that we go down and have “a little look”. After reviewing the room, he somewhat reluctantly agreed that it appeared that there might, in fact, not be any beds; but I suspect he was wondering what I might have done with them.

He suggested that we go have dinner to give him a chance to address the problem and check back later. So we did.

After an outstanding dinner at Chin Chin, we went back to reception and found out that we had been moved to a wonderful balcony stateroom that not only had a bed, but also a fantastic basket of fruit and wine! SailorJill was ecstatic- which meant that I was going to be very happy.

So ended our first day at sea– still healthy, well fed, and in a room with a bed and a bottle of red!

It goes on.

Who can forget the starfish? But, the "herb" story sure stands out also as I posted on it and questioned the OP a few times. I am sometimes amazed at what people post online.:eek:

Well..the camera recovery is certainly right up there.. But does anyone remember the one from the honeymooners that were on the cruise that ran aground? And the ordeal they went through..What an experience.:eek:

There was one a couple weeks ago about somebody not on the ship who knew that the Allure had a fire in one of the balcony rooms. It got a lot of interest as nobody had heard anything, and I ended up reaching out to RCCL's executive office to find out the truth, but by that point the thread had been deleted

I'm a bad poster though, I rarely log on unless I've got a cruise planned :(

There was one a couple weeks ago about somebody not on the ship who knew that the Allure had a fire in one of the balcony rooms. It got a lot of interest as nobody had heard anything, and I ended up reaching out to RCCL's executive office to find out the truth, but by that point the thread had been deleted

I'm a bad poster though, I rarely log on unless I've got a cruise planned :(

I'm pretty sure the OP deleted it after they were told by a couple of posters that they had gotten the answer from RCI. If I remember correctly the spaces are on both Oasis and Allure and are not actually cabins but are used for storage or something. OP didn't like being told the truth and had trouble accepting the fact so I think they took their toys and went home.;)

Click on sailor jacks profile and see a full list of his reviews. The one where the ship runs into a cargo ship is hilarious.

Yes, it is his review of The Dream, in 2007, I believe. Hysterical!!

Edited by barbeyg

Well..the camera recovery is certainly right up there.. But does anyone remember the one from the honeymooners that were on the cruise that ran aground? And the ordeal they went through..What an experience.:eek:

I agree with you on that one Cat. It was Monarch that ran aground in St. Maarten. Especially when after all the huge mess, RC puts the passengers up at the nudist resort. It is still absolutely hysterical. I have it saved as a word document, because the original Cruise Critic thread is long gone. :D:):D

Last time it came up and we posted, the original author posted, she is still a member of Cruise Critic and said it was fine if we shared it. It is up to the OP.

Edited by Coralc