Is Key West a good stop for staying aboard?

OctoberKat

Other than the Hemingway House, nothing much appeals to me in Key West. So maybe it's a day to remain aboard the Seven Seas Navigator while others scurry off to explore, leaving us a peacefully uncrowded ship.

There's certainly nothing wrong with spending the day on the ship.

You might want to consider getting off for a while to go to the Hemingway House (especially nice if you like cats) and walking around a bit before returning to a peaceful ship. ;)

LuLu

If you haven't been to Key West before, it might be worth your while to at least leave the ship and walk around a bit to see the unique architecture and the tropical foilage. Just give it a half hour or so. You will still have lots of time to be alone on board.

If you like the history of touring Hemingway's home, you might also enjoy a tour of the so-called Truman White House. It is kind of a walk back into 1940s/1950s America. It even has the "The buck stops here" plaque that Truman kept on his desk.

Another site of historic interest is the Mel Fisher Treasure Museum that has many pieces of Spanish treasure found by Fisher's group deep under Florida's waters.

it is fun to walk around Key West during the day

it is second perhaps ONLY to the Wisconsin Dells for far as the poster child for tourist trap ... or maybe "South of the Border"

and be warned you may see some things that you'd prefer you'd not seen . . . t-shirt graphics in windows; dress of folks about town; folks falling down drunk at noon . . .

But if you have an open mind it CAN be a fun experience . . . Malloy Square at sunset was a fun stop for us AND our pre-teens ... loved the cat juggler.

if not ... stay on the ship - which is NOT meant in a snotty way ... it is NOT for everybody. I went there once with my parents, for a wedding. After the rehearsal party I took my dad for a stroll down Duval and a drink or two ..... and asked my wife to stay behind with my mother cuz she would NOT understand . . .

Edited by Capt_BJ

Certainly nothing wrong with staying on the ship if you've been to KW before and it didn't appeal to you. If you've never been there however, I think you are doing yourself a disservice by staying aboard. I think it's one of the best Caribbean ports for getting off the ship and simply wandering.

Certainly nothing wrong with staying on the ship if you've been to KW before and it didn't appeal to you. If you've never been there however, I think you are doing yourself a disservice by staying aboard. I think it's one of the best Caribbean ports for getting off the ship and simply wandering.

I agree, it is a fun spot to just walk around.

I would never recommend anyone stay on the ship at a stop in Key West. There is a lot more to see and do than just the Hemingway House.

Agree, I've been there at least a dozen times between cruises and land vacations and have yet to make it to the Hemingway house :)

We enjoy Key Wet because there are other things to see such as the Little White House which we have seen multiple times and enjoyed it each time. Of course, if you have no interest in revisiting then just stay on board the ship and make it a sea day.

Keith

A lot of the posters on here say there is a lot more to Key West than the Hemingway House, but don't elaborate on what that would be. I would like some ideas of what to do, as I have been there before and thought it was just okay, maybe I missed something.

My college years were spent in New Orleans, admittedly some years ago. But I have enjoyed already the bar scene and the gay scene (a participant in both) so that's not a draw. Beaches not great at Key West, especially after returning from the Caribbean. I expect to appreciate the sunset from aboard the the ship. I am motivated to walk off the ship to visit the Hemingway House (and Kitties).

No way. Key West is our favorite port of call. There is so much to see and do here. We always rent an electric car and cruise around for the day. It's the best way to get the most out of your day while you're there. I could go on and on for things to do in a Key West.

Kermits Key West Key Lime Pie shop

Key West Pretzel Company

Southernmost Point

Sloppy Joes

Captain Tony's

Duval Street

Mallory Square

Just to clarify...Key West is NOT in the Caribbean at all...so it's not really a "Caribbean Port"....it's between the Gulf of Mexico and the Florida Straits....

Having reread all the posts in this thread, I can't find where anyone here called Key West a Caribbean port. That said, Hubby and I often facetiously refer to Key West as the "Northernmost Caribbean city" but not because we actually believe it to be in the Caribbean. We just think the tropical climate, foliage and flowers and iconic poinciana trees plus beautiful waters have much in common with Caribbean ports.

My DH and I LOVE Key West!! We live in SW Florida and drive down to Key West several times a year and love every minute of it! The very BEST way to see key west is to rent a bicycle, they are very cheap for a 1/2 day and EVERYWHERE you go in Key West has bike racks! You can ride in and out the side streets OFF of Duval to really get the true taste of Key West and the archutecture and hidden pit stops. Fort Zachery Taylor is worth strolling through as well!! All kinds of great food in Key West , do a little research and google best eats in Key West , there are just too many to mention here! If you were staying over night then dinner out on sunset Island is amazing! Duval is Duval and is also fun to walk up and down but yes, very much a tourist trap but there are some great bars that I wouldn't miss. Irish Kevins is one of our favorites lots of fun and you at least have to make a pit stop at sloppy Joes! Truman's little white house is intresting and so is Hemingway house! The cemetary is intresting as well.

If you enjoy snorkeling I woudl suggest the earliest snorkel trip on Sebago tours, much less people on the early morning ones and beautiful ride out to the reef!

The marina is very nice to walk along and has intresting restaurants and shops along the way and HUGE Tarpon! Lots of art and speciality stores along Duval as well, definately unique and fun to browse!

If you have NEVER been to key west before take the trolley ride, it is well worth it and you were learn A LOT about Key West and you will see A LOT!

Want the best views in Key West....go to the top of the La Choncha Hotel on Duval ...360 views of Key West.....very pretty, especially at sunset!

At night , well that is a whole new Key West LOL, lots of fun, lots of things to do, places to go, places to eat! But the cruise liners do not stay overnight in this Port so sadly you would not be able to enjoy the night life Key West is famous for!

Again , do you self a favor and get off the Main Drag of Duval , so much more to see in Key West then just Duval Street! And YES get OFF the ship and enjoy Key West!!!

• 4 weeks later...
Definitely go ashore in Key West. Fast forward through this video to the 2:00 mark to get the footage I put together from Key West. Earlier stuff is from Nassau.

[YOUTUBE]lxYt0t_u7gY[/YOUTUBE]

Thanks for sharing your video with us. We always go ashore when the ship docks there.

We have done RCL's private island...stayed on the ship the next time & loved it.

We missed Nassau & stayed on the ship as I didn't feel very well. Wish I had just bucked up & gone to see it.

Last year did KW...I wasn't getting it...what was the allure? But my mother said we would love it & she was right!

(It is bar...art gallery...bar...restaurant...bar...tattoo parlor...bar...Hemingway House...bar...art gallery...bar...is it any wonder Hemingway was a drunk??!!)

WHY did we like it?? I can't quite put my finger on it..great vibe. We ate lunch at a restaurant overlooking a marina with private boats. Honestly we loved it so much we may retire to the Keys!

I say try it--there is no tendering, so you can hop off/on the ship easily..

We are taking the teens this time & I just don't think they will be as impressed as us. We may do a quick visit, then return to the ship & hang by the pool (beaches are not that great in KW)

We have done RCL's private island...stayed on the ship the next time & loved it.

We missed Nassau & stayed on the ship as I didn't feel very well. Wish I had just bucked up & gone to see it.

Last year did KW...I wasn't getting it...what was the allure? But my mother said we would love it & she was right!

(It is bar...art gallery...bar...restaurant...bar...tattoo parlor...bar...Hemingway House...bar...art gallery...bar...is it any wonder Hemingway was a drunk??!!)

WHY did we like it?? I can't quite put my finger on it..great vibe. We ate lunch at a restaurant overlooking a marina with private boats. Honestly we loved it so much we may retire to the Keys!

I say try it--there is no tendering, so you can hop off/on the ship easily..

We are taking the teens this time & I just don't think they will be as impressed as us. We may do a quick visit, then return to the ship & hang by the pool (beaches are not that great in KW)

Like you said........... great vibe !!! We drive down to vacation in Key West once in a while if not stopping during a cruise. Probably the closest to an island vibe while still being in the States. Don't know for sure.............but we like it !