Which credit card is best to pay for cruise?

Pick the card that gives you the best "perks"! If you get miles, or your cc offers insurance...

If you will pay off the charge immediately, the interest rate shouldn't matter, but if you'll be carrying the balance, you want to use the card with the lowest rate...no sense paying more for your vacation than you have to!

Agreed... look for perks.

In recent years, I'm now avoiding loyalty points and getting "cash rebate" cards with a high rebate percentages.

Then again, some cards offer travel insurance.

Edited by xlxo

The answer is it depends what perks you prefer. The value is in the perks and what one person considers a perk another one might not.

Keith

I agree, we use an Amex because we get 3% rebates.

I'd get a card that has a good sign up bonus going on right now. A recent example: Southwest had a promotion of 50,000 points for their personal card and their business card. So did Capital One. My fiancee and I could have signed up for both Southwest cards and the Capital One (which Southwest is an affiliate - you can transfer the points to Southwest) and end up with 300,000 points between the 2 of us. A lot of flights we would take are around 20,000-25,000 points with Southwest. Big bang for the buck if you ask me. If you're going to spend the money anyway, why not get some perks with it?

Edited by runawaysoul

• 2 weeks later...
Use your debit card if you have one. I wouldn't get a CC just for this

Not great advice. Debit cards almost always offer inferior fraud protection and NO rewards / cash-back when compared to credit cards.

• 3 weeks later...
Use your debit card if you have one. I wouldn't get a CC just for this

Not great advice. Debit cards almost always offer inferior fraud protection and NO rewards / cash-back when compared to credit cards.

I agree RiotAct - I love my credit cards I have one for each of the cruise lines that I shop with so that I earn double points - What I loved the most was they all offered some sort of bonus to start with so actually I have a card and my husband has a card - So for our upcoming Royal Carib trip I earned $100 in signup OBC for getting the card and then I paid enough of my trip to round out my points to the next reward and redeemed my rewards and then used the hubbies card to pay the rest so now I get another $100 bonus not to mention what ever points we earn for the paying off the cruise so we are ending up with about $400-500 in OBC from using the 2 cards - We don't let the balance sit on there we pay it off

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Never use your debit card...I saw that recommendation. Usually cc have some type of protection against fraud or stolen cards and since its credit you aren't out the money while you fix any errors in the bill. With a debit card if anything happens you are out actually cash while trying to fix the problem. Also cc with the new chips are even more secure. As for which one to use on a cruise...that depends, there are so many options now it's depends what you want. I know certain AMEX have a bunch of different options like cash back, airline points, travel discounts, insurance protection etc. cruise lines have cards that offer points for OBC, I saw some others mentioned that folks love for their perks. So honestly once you figure out what perks you want from the card you can narrow down which one to use.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

• 4 weeks later...

As I am a Disney freak, I use my Chase Disney card. Living in Florida, I frequent Disney a lot and I get a cash back % on my purchases. For example, on my trip to Disney last week, I had a credit of about $250 that I wouldn't have gotten using a debit card. Homework is what you need to look into when deciding.

• 2 weeks later...
As I am a Disney freak, I use my Chase Disney card. Living in Florida, I frequent Disney a lot and I get a cash back % on my purchases. For example, on my trip to Disney last week, I had a credit of about $250 that I wouldn't have gotten using a debit card. Homework is what you need to look into when deciding.

I absolutely love my Disney Chase card. I have had it a year and my hubby challenged me by saying I would never be able to pay off the balance every month and have no interest. Well I am happy to say I have $850+ on my rewards account. I pay everything I can with this card and I do pay off for no interest - HA take that hubby :) We will have a free Disney trip one day! Or a free cruise! What ever we fancy.

• 2 weeks later...

My Citibank cards covers my flight, baggage, and hotels for cancellations for any reason including a pet emergency. All I purchased was emergency evacuation. I'm over 70 and for the two of us for 3 weeks travel, it was $186. This was the first time I have ever purchased insurance because we will be in Italy and Greece.