Would you really leave Carnival if.....

Would you really leave Carnival and choose another cruise line if you don't have chocolates on your pillow, or towel animals, or complimentary robes, or turn down service, or a 'reward' for being a return customer, or any of the other little "services" that have no impact other than they are a nicety?

This is a good question, and I don't have an exact answer for you. It comes down to, at what point does the cruise lose its value to me? No one little silly thing like chocolates or robes is going to do that for me, but a whole lot of them together might eventually water down the experience to the point that I no longer feel like I'm getting a good value for my money. Then I'd have to give it up, yes.

Yes I would

Doesn't matter what the (niceity, in your words) is or was. These little things all add up to added value service.

Take those things away,,, there's no longer any "added value service". Therefore, no reason for me to continue to give you my business.

This is a good question, and I don't have an exact answer for you. It comes down to, at what point does the cruise lose its value to me? No one little silly thing like chocolates or robes is going to do that for me, but a whole lot of them together might eventually water down the experience to the point that I no longer feel like I'm getting a good value for my money. Then I'd have to give it up, yes.

Exactly - it's not one thing, it's all of it added up. If they're cutting the chocolates because for the most part they were going to waste, I get that. I'm not going to miss them, my kids wouldn't even eat them. Would have been nice to have them replaced with something else though rather than just eliminated entirely.

I do think the little amenities being eliminated is starting to add up, but it's something that's happening across the industry in general.

Next cruise: Carnival Vista - July 2016

While I don't really care about the towel animals or the chocolates, if they stopped offering turn down service or robes, that would be a breaking point for me. Also, while I don't care if they give me a "gift" (I'm platinum), I DO want to be recognized for my loyalty, and the past guest discount just isn't cutting it for me.

We have branched out to other cruise lines in the last year and found them enjoyable. I am leaving on the Sunshine in 16 days, which is my first Carnival cruise in 15 months, so I'll see how I feel about it when I get back.

Yes I would

Doesn't matter what the (niceity, in your words) is or was. These little things all add up to added value service.

Take those things away,,, there's no longer any "added value service". Therefore, no reason for me to continue to give you my business.

Just curious if these same services are the reason you choose a hotel or motel when traveling? If the price is right I'm just happy to have a warm shower, a clean environment, and a comfy bed.

I dont give my loyalty to one cruise line. When I want something cheap for a quick getaway I book Carnival. I know what I am getting. When I want to plan for a big family vacation not saying I wouldn't choose Carnival but I would be more apt to look at other lines. So at the end of the day would I say OMG no chocolate I wont sail it? no. But would I spend 4k on a family vacation without extras, no.

I don't know if I would leave Carnival entirely (we haven't actually paid for a cruise...by the traditional method anyway....in quite some time), but I would alter my behavior if they discontinue the Drinks On Us program. DH and I both have an embarrassing number of points each cruise, and frankly, if I'm going to buy a drink, I'll either walk my tush over to the Alchemy bar and get a much better drink, or pour one in my room from Bon Voyage. While I'm doing either of those things, I will be distracted from playing the machines, and be more inclined to engage in other activities...so lost revenue to them (or very occasionally to me, lol!). We've only had one winning cruise in the last 8, so I would take it as an omen.

I pick my cruises on price point vs the ship and physical amenities.

For 2 people I pay between 2000-3000, for 4 I will pay between 3000-4000

This is based on 7 days.

I could not care less about chocolates, or free drinks at a captain's party, or anything that petty.

Just curious if these same services are the reason you choose a hotel or motel when traveling? If the price is right I'm just happy to have a warm shower, a clean environment, and a comfy bed.

When looking at a hotels, 2 hotels one is nicer than the other. The nicer one is $20 more but offers included breakfast. Wouldn't you consider spending the extra $20?

The way the question is written is jaded and meant to produce a "no" answer. Surprise! We have already booked on another brand so our answer is yes. The continuing diminution of the Carnival product and competitive pricing by other brands made this an easy choice for us.

The way the question is written is jaded and meant to produce a "no" answer. Surprise! We have already booked on another brand so our answer is yes. The continuing diminution of the Carnival product and competitive pricing by other brands made this an easy choice for us.

You said it yourself "competitive pricing". If money is no object sure all the niceties and extras can be the tipping point...but isn't it ultimately about "price" for many cruisers.

As long as the Carnival Price is considerably cheaper, as it always has been for the cruises I have taken, I will continue to sail Carnival. If a cruise is the same price as another line, I will look at the other line, because there is probably more "value" there. I sail Carnival because we enjoy our cruises and the prices are always the best. I would not pay more for a Carnival Cruise than any other line, though.

Would you really leave Carnival and choose another cruise line if you don't have chocolates on your pillow, or towel animals, or complimentary robes, or turn down service, or a 'reward' for being a return customer, or any of the other little "services" that have no impact other than they are a nicety?

No...but I do leave Carnival and sail other ships on other cruiselines if they are offering what I want for that vacation at a price I am willing to pay for it. All those things you mentioned play no part in my decision making process.

Already have one booked on another line just to see if the grass on the other side is greener. Booked it kinda last minute (for me), but did it mainly due to the Carnival cutbacks I've seen just since I've been cruising (which hasn't been long).

Carnival certainly isn't loyal to me, why should I be to them?

You said it yourself "competitive pricing". If money is no object sure all the niceties and extras can be the tipping point...but isn't it ultimately about "price" for many cruisers.

I know what I said and the first words I wrote are: "the continuing diminution of the Carnival product " therefore this is the main reason for moving away from Carnival, price secondary. Do you want honest answers or do you want to argue with people, Sweet Dutch Girl?

Edited by sanmarcosman

While we may complain that we want chocolate, no one picks a cruise based on that, its ports and price. There comes a point where you may be willing to pay more for the extras, and Carnival Corp has the Princess Line or Cunard to meet those needs. But Carnival has the lowest price point, and fun places to sail and will have that market without chocolate, but only if they keep the price down, and throwing away a lot of chocolates wont keep cost down.

I love the people I meet on here, and have made great friends, but we are the hard core, small percentage of cruisers, my 4-5 cruises a year is nothing compared to what some people do, but we are the 1% There are somethings I miss as all the Cruise lines evolve but they are a business and have to adapt. We also used to have more leg room, meals, and good service, but even when that went away we still buy plane tickets.

Some of these changes will push us to do what the want us to, and that is upgrade to a more expensive product, then they can fill the lower cost cabins with new customers who want to try it.

On my last Carnival Cruise (early January) the CD consistently said "You are on Vacation so let us pamper you, take care of you, do everything for you, etc." By getting rid of these small things the pampering and the true "do everything for you" lure of taking a cruise will then go by the wayside.

Yes, I would go to another cruise line in a heart beat. All of the "little things" add up. I could understand if Carnival was cutting the items and making the cost of the cruise cheaper but honestly, our last 3 cruises were on Princess and they cost less than Carnival.

Also, the cruises on Princess were a lot nicer and they had chocolates, past guest party with drinks, lounge every evening for 3 hours for platinum and above with free appetizers and $5 special drinks, happy hour every day with 2 for 1 drinks, and the food and entertainment also put Carnival to shame.. It really made me notice how much Carnival is "cutting back" but yet other cruises can be found for less price and still have the amenities.

If you go and add up all the little things, you will see that there are quite a few. Some would say well look what they have added such as Guys Burgers, Blue Iguana, Red Frog Pub..well whoopie doo...they added these to try and compete with the other cruise lines because they were falling far behind.

I am sailing on Carnival again but this time it is for the itinerary and I am sure there will be a lot more things that I received on my last cruise on Carnival than I will the next time.

Edited by ready2cruzagain

No...in my opinion they are cutting stupid stuff. My biggest expectation is for them to deliver me a vacation cruise experience that is budget friendly for my family. If that means cutting out the chocolates that I am sure are expensive in that quantity just to end up in the trash can then so be it.

Very much so.

I'll pay more for extra services..

Motel 6 doesn't cut it for me. Neither does Southwest Airlines.

Too many people get caught up in brand loyalty and then get offended when their brand doesn't do what they expect. I would never "leave" any business unless they treated me with the utmost disrespect.

In this case each cruise is considered on its individual merits. I check Carnival, NCL and RCI when I plan a cruise and let each ship, itinerary and benefits speak for itself. The little stuff may add up, or it may not.

I think with Carnival we see a lot of people wanting the rock bottom price, but complain because they think the experience should be that of a higher price point. Champaign tastes on a beer budget.

For me, my next cruise is likely the Dream because for the price and experience it is much better than the other offerings. If that changes, so will I.

Nope.

Chocolates at night is a complete, COMPLETE non-issue for us.

Totally over the towel animals. Nothing wrong with them but even my kids couldn't care less at this point.

I usually will not wear the robe as I have no clue he last time it was washed.

Cutting out turn down service would be lame, but it wouldn't make me leave Carnival. That said, I have no problem trying other lines but not going to them for any of the stuff you named.