Oceania air departing from Tahiti

Acrusa

What time does the usual flight from Tahiti leave to LAX the same day as disembarking the ship?

It varies, depending on the day and the airline. And it is not unusual for an announced departure time to be changed at the last minute. Some pax have had to wait as much as 12-15 hours from the time of debarkation for their plane to depart. We got lucky -- had a 10-ish AM departure on Air Tahiti Nui, arrived at LAX (two hours ahead of Papeete) a little after 8 PM. A gentle suggestion: Avoid Air Tahiti Nui, if you can.

We never had a problem with Air Tahiti Nui but we took the deviation from Oceania and extended on stay on Moorea. Depending on the airline and time of year the schedules change. Also, Oceania has chartered flights as well as used scheduled flights for those not taking the deviation. We had fellow passengers actually leave the evening before the disembarkation day in Papeete where we did an overnight. This allowed them to stay on the ship in comfort with meals until their scheduled departure at 10 pm instead of hanging around the next day. Smart move on their part.

We never had a problem with Air Tahiti Nui but we took the deviation from Oceania and extended on stay on Moorea. Depending on the airline and time of year the schedules change. Also, Oceania has chartered flights as well as used scheduled flights for those not taking the deviation. We had fellow passengers actually leave the evening before the disembarkation day in Papeete where we did an overnight. This allowed them to stay on the ship in comfort with meals until their scheduled departure at 10 pm instead of hanging around the next day. Smart move on their part.

Departing the night before requires a deviation fee. $175 each.

You are 100% correct but on our cruise almost everyone used their own air or took the deviation to come in early on the front end of the cruise.

Yes, it works that way, but the OP was asking about Oceania air.

Yes, it works that way, but the OP was asking about Oceania air.

Thanks for pointing that out. Oceania air connections are another whole ball game. Many people got day rooms on their own and some used Oceania for a fee. The OP has to explore what is more cost efficient especially if they intend to come in on the day of embarkation and leave on the day disembarkation using Oceania air and not taking the deviation or using their own air.

Edited by TERRIER1

There are 3 things I have take to heart and learned well in the past 60 years:

1. don't yell fire in a theater

2. never loan an ex wife your car and credit card

3. Never take a cruise that ends in Tahiti always fly in but never out.

The flights all leave, whether charter around 11 pm... you will be off the ship from 8-9 am having to deal with the tropical heat, humidity and the industrial port of Tahiti. The airport is open air and has no air conditioning, You can get a day room at a hotel for about $200 till 6 pm...then its 5 hours in the terminal, just you the Gekos and mosquitos..

Tahiti is no garden spot it is the outer islands that have the beaches...not Tahiti. You can sip$$9-15 beers while you wait and practice your French and count the hours. .Picture Campden N J Or East Saint Louis, with Palm Trees and you get the idea of Papeete as a hang out spot with the wife (or soon to be Ex wife)

All flights will be on Tahiti Nui ( which is Tahitian for monopoly), so that "it" for choices to LAX. Oceania most times charters one of their older A330's and MAY offer very limited upgrades for $800PP to business for the 8 hour red-eye flight. There is a Business class lounge for Tahit iNui Business only it is air conditioned no others need apply.

Consider all of this and that December-March its the Rain-cyclone season so it can get VERY wet and HUMID 90%+ not uncommon.

So...when planning to visit Tahiti... plan onacruise after October toDecember or after March that originates in Tahiti and ends up in LIMA, NewZealand, or Los Angeles as the final destination. You will be much happier, not having to do the end of cruise airport shuffle.... trust me on this I have been there 4 times, and caught on slow but good...

I always started a cruise there,,, never the other way around and always got O to get me Business on their charter otherwise its $1900pp for an up Grade...Bonjouir.........Learn well Grasshopper

All flights will be on Tahiti Nui ( which is Tahitian for monopoly), so that "it" for choices to LAX. Oceania most times charters one of their older A330's and MAY offer very limited upgrades for $800PP to business for the 8 hour red-eye flight.

I always started a cruise there,,, never the other way around and always got O to get me Business on their charter otherwise its $1900pp for an up Grade...Bonjouir.........Learn well Grasshopper

Is the upgrade $800 pp or $1,900 pp??

ifyou are on anOceaina charter... then it maybe $800.....unless they only charter part of the plane. If you pay the $$for air deversion for later or earlier, then it will be on a regular Tahiti Nui flight and Tahiti Nui will sell you that after....AFTER you buy the coach seat. $1800-1900.......and Only space available starting 3 hours prior to the actual flight....AND after their regular Tahiti Nui passengers have had a shot.. Are you feeling lucky as dirty harry would say?

The best deal is if your cruise departs Saturday after 11 :30pm you can take Hawaiian from HNL ( one flight a week on Saturday ) that costs $1650 pp one way from HNL. Departing from PPT....they go once a week on Sundays at 1 am to HNL... and you get home or lay over from there.

Ya' read that right pilgrim... one flight a week that arrives sat eve and departs sunday 3 hours apart.... That's the only option other than Tahiti NUI . Air France, Delta, AA, all are code shares on the 1 Tahiti nui plane....( on weekends they may run 2 planes.. But...that's it)

This is why I passionately stress you don't want to fly out of Tahiti and want to start there or transi tfrom somewhere to another place. The RT Tahiti-Tahiti are adventures from Hell................

What time does the usual flight from Tahiti leave to LAX the same day as disembarking the ship?

Most flights leave late night but there ARE daytime flights. We booked O air with deviation and I requested daytime flights out of LAX and PPT. The flight left PPT around 10:30AM. We also booked our own transfers to avoid arriving at the airport with the bus loads of passengers. This itinerary is challenging because of the inconvenient flight options but the beauty of FP was well worth it. I would do it again in a heartbeat :)

Well golly, seeing as how we're set to end in Papeete after our January cruise, the starch sure went out of our sails. Sounds like given a choice between Papeete and the Walking Dead, we'd be better off reading up on zombies. We aren't going to cancel the cruise of course. Do we arrange for the day room through our O cruise consultant? Any other survival tips?

Others will disagree but after 35 years of visiting French Polynesia, we tell you the PPT airport experience and flights are grim.

Most flights leave at midnight. As stated, the airport is open-air, hot, and not a mozzie-free zone.

There is one person (sometimes 2) serving sandwiches, chips, water and beer/wine in the departure area. Usually, but not always, the drinks are ice cold.

ATN planes are old and dated. On our most recent flight to LAX (granted 18 months ago), neither of our seats reclined. The seat in front of mine OVER-reclined so I had the head of the women who sat in front of me literally in my lap.

I couldn't have my tray table down for meals but that was ok because the food (??) was awful from what I could tell after sampling my husband's portion. Freezing cold bread rolls are your sustenance and for that time of night, that's fine.

Neither of our in-flight entertainment screens worked but then, after the pax in front of me reclined her seat, I couldn't see it anyway.

We wish AOM and UTA were still options but alas, your choices are few. If you have the $$ and there is space, take BIZ. If you don't, take a Tylenol PM and go to sleep once you're finally on the plane.

Obviously the terrible ATN flights haven't deterred us from going to FP. We know before we go and mentally prepare for the return flight home.

There are 3/5 planes of ATN that have been refurbished and are decent. Food is terrible though. 2 months ago our meal was head cheese. 2 years ago I flew Hawaiian airlines all the way from NYC to PPT stopping for a day in Honolulu. It was cheaper than AF or ATN from LAX! They only fly on Saturday each way though.

There is nothing to do at the open air unairconditioned airport and the concession stands do not open until later when the flights between the islands start to leave. If you need to kill time try renting a car and driving the ring road of Tahiti. Just bear in mind that if it is Sunday the car has to be returned by 5 pm. Again, if you are willing to pay for the air deviation (come in a day early to get rid of jet lag) and your cruise is overnighting in Papeete than you can stay on the ship in you cabin and have your meals and leave the day before scheduled disembarkation. This assumes you have a late night departure for which most flights are scheduled.

I get in there on March 24, we disembark on the 25th. Air France has a flight that day leaving at 8:40 AM . Wish Oceania would put us on this.

There are options though. You aren't stuck with ATN.

I get in there on March 24, we disembark on the 25th. Air France has a flight that day leaving at 8:40 AM . Wish Oceania would put us on this.

If you pay the deviation fee can you not request this flight or is there an upcharge that is more than you are willing to pay??

If you pay the deviation fee can you not request this flight or is there an upcharge that is more than you are willing to pay??

Don't know, I might wait until flights are assigned then try that. Of course it might be too late at 70 days out to get a decent price on it. I'm wishful thinking since our gateway airport is ATL that we might be put on it anyway since Air France is partnered with Delta(main hub ATL) and ATN is not.

As I said, wishful thinking.

I guess I could go ahead and see what it would be. If too expensive over the deviation fee then I wouldn't have to accept it, right?

Don't know, I might wait until flights are assigned then try that. Of course it might be too late at 70 days out to get a decent price on it. I'm wishful thinking since our gateway airport is ATL that we might be put on it anyway since Air France is partnered with Delta(main hub ATL) and ATN is not.

As I said, wishful thinking.

I guess I could go ahead and see what it would be. If too expensive over the deviation fee then I wouldn't have to accept it, right?

Ask for the deviation and see what Oceania comes back with? You are not obligated nor do you pay the deviation fee until you accept the flight. Have you also priced the AF flight on you own and ask what the Oceania credit would be if you booked your own air?

Ask for the deviation and see what Oceania comes back with? You are not obligated nor do you pay the deviation fee until you accept the flight. Have you also priced the AF flight on you own and ask what the Oceania credit would be if you booked your own air?

Air credit is $725 per person. Booking directly through AF is almost 2k each. Good idea though.