My morning

ksmith3975

So I'm driving down the west side of manhattan today to work. In the distance I can see a cruise ship docked with a gigantic X on its funnel. Since X usually docks in Bayonne and it's not visible from upper manhattan I'm thinking what the heck is that. My curiosity has now taken over and for some odd reason I'm under the impression that this huge ship will magically disappear and I have to speed down the highway in order to confirm what my eyes are telling me.

As I get closer and closer the familiar outline of a solstice class ship starts to form in front of me,

I call my wife excitedly " honey an S-class ship is in manhattan"

Wife: "why are you not at work yet".

Me: " never mind , bye."

Finally I get close enough and there she is. The eclipse, the ship that provided me my first celebrity experience. I feel a smile creeping onto my face, "what is this ship doing in manhattan" I mutter to the empty seats in my car.

Suddenly the car behind me honks and it snaps me from my moment with the Eclipse.

I get to work huge smile on my face and tell everyone how great and wonderful the cruise ship parked on the westside of manhattan is, I get courteous nods and a few that's great, but no one cares. As I'm working I have a 2nd window open on my computer looking up cruises.

Booked the equinox in May 2016, long ways away but gives me plenty of time to plan a perfect trip.

Had to get my excellent start to a cold Tuesday out to someone, this forum being my only outlet.

Happy cruising everyone.

Unfortunately of those on the ship, it's going thru full immigration, everyone including all crew leaves the ship and no one gets back on until everyone has cleared. And from reports, they seem to be several hours behind. Sounds like folks can't reboard till after 7 or so from how delayed they are. Ahh the joys of a Westbound TA.

So I'm driving down the west side of manhattan today to work. In the distance I can see a cruise ship docked with a gigantic X on its funnel. Since X usually docks in Bayonne and it's not visible from upper manhattan I'm thinking what the heck is that. My curiosity has now taken over and for some odd reason I'm under the impression that this huge ship will magically disappear and I have to speed down the highway in order to confirm what my eyes are telling me.

As I get closer and closer the familiar outline of a solstice class ship starts to form in front of me,

Finally I get close enough and there she is. The eclipse, the ship that provided me my first celebrity experience. I feel a smile creeping onto my face, "what is this ship doing in manhattan" I mutter to the empty seats in my car.

Suddenly the car behind me honks and it snaps me from my moment with the Eclipse.

I get to work huge smile on my face and tell everyone how great and wonderful the cruise ship parked on the westside of manhattan is, I get courteous nods and a few that's great, but no one cares. As I'm working I have a 2nd window open on my computer looking up cruises.

Booked the equinox in May 2016, long ways away but gives me plenty of time to plan a perfect trip.

Had to get my excellent start to a cold Tuesday out to someone, this forum being my only outlet.

Happy cruising everyone.

Thanks for sharing your morning. Here, the day is over (we´re 6 hrs ahead of you) but I went ship-spotting too. OK, not cruise ships but ferries to Scandinavia which leave my home town at the coast of the Baltic Sea daily. Here, cruise season is over.

Cudos for those on the TA - sounds like they had some heavy seas as well as an unexpected itinerary.

Last night it was -15 F and this morning a chilly 14 F. So looking forward to my March Equinox cruise. It's all that is keeping me sane.

No cruise ships in Minnesota either.

:(

Cruising does that...it puts a smile on your face! :):) Totally understand your excitement. Heading into the City by bus on Sunday, I could see one of the ships docked in Bayonne. I was hoping to see the Queen Mary docked in Brooklyn, but alas, it wasn't there. Last time riding into the City, it was!!:D

Hello,

Thanks for sharing- I could almost feel your excitement ! Other than the one "debbie downer" post so far, I think it's obvious that many of us still get that "feeling" when we see a cruise ship sailing/docked near us.

We often vacation at a Chesapeake Bay-front house near the mouth of the Bay, in Cape Charles, Va. Whenever there, I check the schedules for the ships leaving/returning to Baltimore, and if need be, get up in the middle of the night, just to watch the lights of the ships as they sail by ! And, I've almost caused car accidents on the few occasions I have crossed the Woodrow Wilson Bridge in Alexandria, Va, and looked over and seen one of the smaller cruise-ships that have ported there in the past !

If and when, that "feeling" wears off (hasn't since my first cruise Christmas-New Years 1974-75), then it might be time to stop cruising !!

And I even bet, that the thrill of being docked in Manhattan on the Eclipse was pretty darn special for many passengers too !!

BBL

Edited by BourbonNBluesLuvr

So glad you enjoyed seeing the lovely Eclipse on your way to work, OP. it has had its share of problems on the TA with storms and having to substitute other ports for Bermuda. I beieve it was originally scheduled to be in New York on Sunday. I'm sorry they are having a problem with immigration. We just got off the Silhouette TA and had no problems at all arriving in Ft Lauderdale.

Happy cruising everyone.

Eclipse was here?!?!?!?! And I missed it?!?!?! How?!?! Why?!?!?! lol. You sure it wasn't Quantum lol

Eclipse was here?!?!?!?! And I missed it?!?!?! How?!?! Why?!?!?! lol. You sure it wasn't Quantum lol

Eclipse is still in NYC, If I recall, the modified itinerary gives her an overnight there.

They cancelled Bermuda after NYC due to the longer farther south transit across the atlantic due to weather and extending a stay in the canary islands area...I forget which port there.

Eclipse is still in NYC, If I recall, the modified itinerary gives her an overnight there.

They cancelled Bermuda after NYC due to the longer farther south transit across the atlantic due to weather and extending a stay in the canary islands area...I forget which port there.

I believe it was Funchal.

Yes, Eclipse is still here until tomorrow night at 8:00. And yes, the substitute port was seven hours in Funchal, Madeira (which was lovely) in lieu of the overnight in Bermuda. And yes, we did have a rough crossing and a very long immigration this morning.

BUT, the ship is in great shape; the crew overall has been excellent under difficult circumstances for them; Molecular Bar still has fabulous drinks; the homemade ice cream in the buffet is still delicious; our Roll Call members have been a friendly, fun-loving group; and there is a great deal for on-board booking -- so much so, that we booked a Caribbean cruise for February 2016!

We've still had a good cruise, and I would do it again, 17-foot seas notwithstanding!

BUT, the ship is in great shape; the crew overall has been excellent under difficult circumstances for them; Molecular Bar still has fabulous drinks; the homemade ice cream in the buffet is still delicious; our Roll Call members have been a friendly, fun-loving group; and there is a great deal for on-board booking -- so much so, that we booked a Caribbean cruise for February 2016!

/QUOTE]

Glad to see you guys made it to NY safe and sound. What deal were they giving for on board booking? I was hoping to book the Reflection TA for 2016 on this sailing, did it anyways, even without the perks.

LOL

OP reminds me of me. I did my residency in Baltimore, and lived in the downtown area. I would often shop at a grocery store (Harris Teeter if you're curious) or grab a cuppa from the Starbucks closest to the port. So I saw many ships docked (mostly RCCL and Carnival) there and the feeling never got old. There were times that I was in the Teeter when the ships' horns would blow and I'd grin thinking to myself that someone's vacation was officially getting underway.

Now I live in Western Mass....no ships here either :(

I have the same fascination with seeing cruise ships in port, totally love it when we happen upon one. A couple of years ago, we were visiting family who live in Brooklyn near the Verrazano Bridge. Being the addict I am, I knew not only that the NCL Gem would be leaving NY that day, but also approximately what time she would be sailing under the Bridge, and so there I was on the shore at the appointed hour, watching her come down the Hudson. It was wonderful.

How can ships not make you smile? :)

WOO HOO....thanks for the post Ksmith!!! I fly into NYC tomorrow afternoon and will definitely be looking for Eclipse. One of my all time favorite ships. We just booked her again for 2016! It's been almost a year since we've been on a ship (that's just not right) so we will be keeping our eyes open tomorrow when landing!

Thanks again!