Is the train a bad idea from Rome to Civitavecchia for embarkation?

theriac

I was originally going to go with a private transfer from Rome shuttle Limo and then had friends tell me it's a waste of money and to use the train. So I cancelled the transfer and booked first class on a train from termini with trentalia. Now people are telling me it's full of pick pockets, people trying to scam you, steal your luggage and it's and hassle from the train station to port on the bus with luggage so I would pay the 20 euro for cab from there.

Is it worth just cancelling my train and losing the 25 euro for the train tickets and just booking a transfer?

I know what I'm hearing is anecdotal and I figured booking the FC train ticket may help with privacy and people with nefarious intentions, but I'm just not sure. Also there is 2 of us with 3 bags that we can easily manage if that helps. I leave for Italy in about 36 hours and my train is for Wednesday 11/02.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

We have done it both ways. In 2009 we got the train and then walked to the port. Then we had to wait for a bus to take us to the ship, load and unload our luggage and take it to the ship. The buses were busy and my husband was separated from my son and me.

Last year I read that the entrance to the port was now further away,mans being 6 years older we decided to book a transfer. We booked a shared transfer with Bobs limos and it was definitely much easier - they drop you right at the ship. We would definitely do this again if we were cruising from Rome.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Well, the "full of pickpockets, people trying to scam you, steal your luggage" stuff might be at least a small amount of hyperbole, don't you think?

Have traveled extensively in Italy on trains, and they are fine. Yes, you need to keep your wits about you, but you have to do that just about anywhere.

For us, the moderate hassle getting from the train station to the port would be grounds for booking the wonderful Rome in Limo.

You've paid a fortune for the train - most people go with the less expensive (€5) and more flexible regional train, but what's done is done. Actually, the more expensive train makes sense for embarkation when you are traveling with luggage. You'll have an assigned seat and room to store your things.

The issues with pickpockets are on the regional trains with lots of stops, therefore lots of opportunities to get away. You won't have a problem on the high speed train.

Edited by euro cruiser

You've paid a fortune for the train - most people go with the less expensive (€5) and more flexible regional train, but what's done is done. Actually, the more expensive train makes sense for embarkation when you are traveling with luggage. You'll have an assigned seat and room to store your things.

The issues with pickpockets are on the regional trains with lots of stops, therefore lots of opportunities to get away. You won't have a problem on the high speed train.

Perfect, this is what I was looking for. I don't feel as we paid that much to have the extra space. I guess price is always subjective though as many people tell me I over pay for flights as well because I like to fly in business or first.

Thank you everyone for your responses. The people who have been telling me to switch away from the train are older and worry people are after them. I'm 28 so I feel like I should be OK. Especially on the express train.

Thanks again everyone

I was originally going to go with a private transfer from Rome shuttle Limo and then had friends tell me it's a waste of money and to use the train. So I cancelled the transfer and booked first class on a train from termini with trentalia. Now people are telling me it's full of pick pockets, people trying to scam you, steal your luggage and it's and hassle from the train station to port on the bus with luggage so I would pay the 20 euro for cab from there.

Is it worth just cancelling my train and losing the 25 euro for the train tickets and just booking a transfer?

I know what I'm hearing is anecdotal and I figured booking the FC train ticket may help with privacy and people with nefarious intentions, but I'm just not sure. Also there is 2 of us with 3 bags that we can easily manage if that helps. I leave for Italy in about 36 hours and my train is for Wednesday 11/02.

Thanks

I wouldn't use the train. The three times we were in Rome we arranged transportation from Viator. The one time we did use the train was from Rome back to the port. Train was 25 minutes late leaving the station then stopped in a corn field for 30 minutes. Now explanation, no announcements no nothing. Finally the train started. We did make it back in time but we were sweating bullets.

I wouldn't use the train. The three times we were in Rome we arranged transportation from Viator. The one time we did use the train was from Rome back to the port. Train was 25 minutes late leaving the station then stopped in a corn field for 30 minutes. Now explanation, no announcements no nothing. Finally the train started. We did make it back in time but we were sweating bullets.

Any transportation method can have issues, statistically you're more likely to run into traffic on the road than a major delay on a train.

Re Viator, there's no reason to use a middle-man when transit options in Rome are so easily accessed directly.

For the OP, another benefit of the high speed train you've chosen is that it departs from the main trackhead at Termini, while the regional trains use auxiliary tracks about three blocks away. There is a new security system in place at the main trackheads that is intended to limit access to the tracks to ticket holders only which should eliminate any concerns over unauthorized "helpers".

Having just navigated through Termini Station (not to Civitavecchia), I would say keep your tickets, unless you will be laden down with a lot of luggage, in which case it might be worth it to waste those tickets.

If you're travelling fairly light, just give yourself lots of time, more than you think you need. Termini is extremely chaotic. We did see signs to the Civitavecchia train I think. I've read here that there is a fair amount of walking. See if you can get explicit instructions here on reaching the platform.

As I said, just give yourself lots of time, and don't hesitate to ask for help. We almost missed our train to Florence because we could not figure out where the platform was. Fortunately someone helped us.

There are also touts in the station who will want help you, not sure what they are trying to do, but be aware of your surroundings.

There's nothing wrong with the train. It is quicker faster and cheaper than a car, but be aware of your luggage. If you have a bunch of luggage -- 2 pieces per person -- you'll have to deal with it. Luggage on Italian trains, any trains in Europe, can be a hassle. You must get it to the train, on to the train, store it in a designated area, get it off the train and get it to your destination or the taxi. Luggage in first class is easier to manage that second class -- it is easier to stash. But you still have the get it on, get it off, etc.

A private transfer gets you from your hotel in Rome directly to the ship. The driver loads and unloads the car. So you miss all the hassle of handling luggage. But you pay a price for this service.

If you're young, and/or don't mind getting luggage on and off the train, are willing to hike from the station in Civitavecchia to the port entrance (or get a taxi), then by all means go for the train. If you're on vacation and don't want to deal with the luggage, book a private transfer.

We have done the train several times. But, we only travel with carry on rollers. Be prepared to watch your bags. There are pickpockets everywhere so you must keep an awareness of your surroundings. We can only handle a 20 inch roller when we are on the trains in Europe.

Not certain about first class. We just paid about 10 E each for a ticket from FCO to the port. Changed trains. Keep in mind that you will probably have to change trains. If so, that change may involved going under the track and up to another track. In about half of the stations we have been in the elevator was not working. Be prepared to manhandle your bags up and down a flight of stairs.

If you are leaving from Rome be aware that you may not have board the train in Termini. And you won't need to be concerned about changing trains. The trains often make several stops prior to leaving Rome proper. One of those stops may be much closer to your hotel than Termini. It might be worthwhile to check on this.

We have also taken the train from Civ. to both Cinque Terre area and Florence. The rail goes up the coast thereby avoiding Termini.

Edited by iancal

If you booked your tickets on one of the Frecce trains, they look like they board from the main station platforms and not the outlying ones. I also looked on the trenitalia site and those Frecce trains are straight to Civi, no change of trains.

Train travel is perfectly acceptable. Just like you are aware of your surroundings at a port or an airport, the same applies at a train station. There are huge boards in the Termini building that show the trains and the platform (aka "bin" or "binario"). Just follow the signs. On the train, you may be able to put some of your bags on the overhead rack above you (I can do this with my 25x14x14 bag when I take it) to minimize how many you have to take to the luggage racks in the rear of the car.

I'm sorry, but those who always warn of the swarms of pickpockets and gloom and doom waiting for anyone who does not use private transportation just burn me. I always keep my bags locked up and I do not let anyone "assist" me. Just look like you know what you are doing and where you are going. Keep a hand on your bags or directly in front of you with contact (like if you are buying a cup of coffee at a stand). Common sense goes a long way ;)

Last year at Termini we were quite agressively hassled by people offering to "help" with our luggage but this was in the area where the regional train gets in from Civitavecchia. This year we want to avoid this and are thinking of taking the Frecce train to Civi which leaves from the main track area at Termini. Does anyone know what the luggage facilities are for 2nd class travel on the Frecce - i.e. a designated area at the end of the carriage? We will have two hand luggage and one larger piece.

Also, how far in advance do Trenitalia publish their schedules? Nothing is showing up for May but maybe it is too early. Many thanks.

Also, how far in advance do Trenitalia publish their schedules? Nothing is showing up for May but maybe it is too early. Many thanks.

Depends on the type of train. Most trains it is 4 months, but ticket purchases are anywhere from 4 months to 1 week in advance.

I know the train is much less expensive, but for us a private transfer works best. In June and October of this year we used RomeCabs for our group of eight at a cost of €25 per person. Pickup at our hotel and drop-off at the cruise terminal couldn't have been more convenient.

Taking the train would have required a taxi from our Rome hotel to Termini, a very good chance of having to schlep our luggage down the stairs and back up again at the Civitavecchia train station, a taxi or walk to the cruise port entrance and then the port shuttle to the cruise terminal...phew.

For us there's no comparison...

PNG%20Sig_zps9bcbhaj9.png

I know the train is much less expensive, but for us a private transfer works best. In June and October of this year we used RomeCabs for our group of eight at a cost of €25 per person. Pickup at our hotel and drop-off at the cruise terminal couldn't have been more convenient.

Taking the train would have required a taxi from our Rome hotel to Termini, a very good chance of having to schlep our luggage down the stairs and back up again at the Civitavecchia train station, a taxi or walk to the cruise port entrance and then the port shuttle to the cruise terminal...phew.

For us there's no comparison...

PNG%20Sig_zps9bcbhaj9.png

In our case it is not a matter of the train being less expensive, we prefer to travel by train but respect those who wish not to do so.

FYI there is a local bus from outside the station at Civitavecchia which runs frequently to the cruise port shuttle stop.

• 4 weeks later...

I personally had a difficult time on a train from Venice to Livorno. Someone almost got my suitcase from the luggage rack but I saw him through the throng and started yelling at the top of my lungs. Since then, I've carried a retractable bicycle lock and run it through the handles of my luggage and the rack. Works well and takes no room in my carryon. When I bought it, before setting a combo, the unlock code was 0-0-0-0. Each time I've retrieved my luggage, the numbers almost always are 0-0-0-0, meaning someone has tested it to see if I DID change the combo. I usually travel solo which makes luggage a bigger challenge, especially on trains. The bicycle lock has also been handy in airport restrooms and restaurants. Even if I don't attach it to something fixed and only run it through the handles of my suitcases (a 21" and a 25"), they're hard to move when connected and you can't extend the handles.

On an upcoming cruise from Italy, I've decided to live large and take a shared shuttle from the airport to Civi.

Edited by goofysmom99

I've carried a retractable bicycle lock and run it through the handles of my luggage and the rack. Works well and takes no room in my carryon.
I think this is a good solution that allows you to relax during your train ride as long as you use it respectfully; that is, you lock your stuff in a way that doesn't impact other people's stuff or their ability to share the luggage rack.

I think this is a good solution that allows you to relax during your train ride as long as you use it respectfully; that is, you lock your stuff in a way that doesn't impact other people's stuff or their ability to share the luggage rack.

Turns out a bicycle lock is one of those tricks that single travelers all know about but never crossed my mind until my DH died and I started traveling alone. I picked up on it from several solo-travel websites. The train racks are long metal, horizontal tubing so my suitcases (adjacent to each other) slide along the rack just like they would without the lock. Nevertheless, I frequently just run the lock through my suitcase handles and tighten it. Different height bags with no slack in the cable makes it almost impossible for anyone to manipulate both bags as a single unit.

I love the cable idea. Already have one for bikes so will run it through one of the locks on the luggage. I rode our local train recently with luggage alone and had to keep my eyes on it for the whole 2 hours.

Edited by chinita415

I kept hearing warning after warning about pickpockets in Italy. And scoffed. Then fended one off, as he tried to get my wallet. Then had a team of four or more take my wallet while they went through my wife's backpack, all without us noticing.

Do NOT keep your wallet in your back pocket, and consider splitting your cash and carrying most in a money belt or such. Do NOT accept "help" with your luggage from strangers. Unfortunately you have to be suspicious of everyone, and you should be ok. They didn't get much from us, but it ruined a couple of days, just due to my foul mood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk