Should We Cruise on Insignia?

cruisedad2

My wife and I are considering a cruise on Insignia...we are experienced cruisers and enjoy Celebrity Cuise Line, but it would be our first with Oceania. Insignia has a cruise..the only one...that fits our work schedules and desired itinerary. Reviews seem mixed regarding the ship. What is good and bad about the ship?

As far as I am concerned there is nothing "bad" about any of the "R" ships. We love them all.

But here are some things for you to consider. It's only 684 passengers, so there is less to do than on a larger ship. That doesn't mean there are no activities, just that there may be fewer than you are used to.

The restaurants are free of charge, but there is only the Grand Dining Room (lunch and dinner), two specialty restaurants (dinner only with static menus), the Terrace cafe (a buffet restaurant open for breakfast, lunch and dinner) and Waves, which is a casual burger-type restaurant open for breakfast and lunch. (Waves stays open later than the other lunch places which can be convenient if you return late from a tour.) There is room service 24/7.

If entertainment is important to you, you probably will be disappointed with any of the Oceania ships. Supposedly NCL is upgrading the entertainment, but we haven't seen the effects personally yet of the new regime. And for us, entertainment is less important than most aspects.

There is a wonderful library, my favorite space on the ship.

Yes, there are lectures and such on sea days.

If you are on a port-intensive itinerary, then perhaps the lack of lots of activities won't matter to you -- or at least not so much.

Because these ships are smaller and were built in the late '90s, cabins are smaller than you may find on Celebrity. (I haven't sailed on Celebrity so I can't say from personal knowledge.) Cabins at the Penthouse level and above, especially the "above", are comfortable with more than adequate space, but the regular veranda cabins and below are tight. Especially the bathrooms! (The Vista and Owners' suites are roughly 800-900 sf so they are quite spacious -- but limited in number.)

It's hard for us to know what you are looking for ... so perhaps you should be more specific about what is important to you.

Hope this helps you a little. I am sure others will weigh in.

Mura

As had been said the ship is very small compared to X. The show lounge is like a small night club with shows according. Very quiet compared to X, also all things not included about twice the price of X. That said they provide a nice cruise. Their standard cabin is the size of an inside on X.

Mura the GDR is open for breakfast also ..remember the lamb chops ;)

R-class ships are smaller & more cozy than the main stream lines

entertainment as discussed in other threads is low key

The new productions shows (NCL) are a lot more lively than the other company they have used in the past

solo performers are hit or miss IMO

no long lines compared to other cruise lines

open dining so you may sit with new people each meal or at a table for 2 if you prefer

It is probably pricier that other lines if comparing prices

I would decide what is important to you in a cruise then make your choice

enjoy whatever cruise you choose

Mura the GDR is open for breakfast also ..remember the lamb chops ;)

R-class ships are smaller & more cozy than the main stream lines

entertainment as discussed in other threads is low key

The new productions shows (NCL) are a lot more lively than the other company they have used in the past

solo performers are hit or miss IMO

no long lines compared to other cruise lines

open dining so you may sit with new people each meal or at a table for 2 if you prefer

It is probably pricier that other lines if comparing prices

I would decide what is important to you in a cruise then make your choice

enjoy whatever cruise you choose

Lyn, I thought I DID say GDR was open for breakfast! I certainly meant to, because when we don't have to rush off for a tour that's where we go! I would never forget the lamb chops ... or the eggs benedict ... or the cold salmon ... ah, I love breakfast in the GDR! Plus I eat less there than I do in Terrace! (In Terrace my eyes are bigger than my capacity.)

Mura

I have been on both Celebrity and O multiple times. We are booked for Insignia in April 2017. I really like the small O ships. I am comfortable and the food is good and as I am getting older I find the smaller ship is a good thing. The itineraries are varied and different and for the 6 cruises I have taken all well done. Cruise Directors and all other staff are quickly going to know your name and preferences and you just feel "pampered" but you also are not smothered. In Other words good service. We like the food on O better than most of the other lines we have been on and most drinks and non-alcoholic beverages (including mocktails) are included. I love the Bvlgari soaps and lotions but I had one comment on this board that they "stunk to high heaven" (so wish he would give me his share to take home!)

Azamara is another line that I think is the "sorta rich" column and very much like Oceania. We pick for ports/itinerary so a wonderful meal and a soft bed after a busy day on shore I LOVE IT!

Get a good TA who specializes in cruises and I think you will find that there are some excellent deals -- we usually book cruise only because we do long land trips before the cruise. Can't mention specific TA here on Cruise Critic but some specialize in Oceania. Look at the true luxury lines and you will see that O prices are good for where they take you. Besides once you have taken a cruise you will get pretty brochures FOR LIFE!

As had been said the ship is very small compared to X. The show lounge is like a small night club with shows according. Very quiet compared to X, also all things not included about twice the price of X. That said they provide a nice cruise. Their standard cabin is the size of an inside on X.

I've compared Celebrity and O often. While cabin prices may appear very different, a better comparison is "net daily rate" for all related expenses (remember Celebrity charges extra for many things included on O (e.g., airfare, internet, beverages, specialty restaurants, etc)

O's R ships are terrific. Just deposited for 38 day 2018 Sydney to L.A. on Insignia.

If you're going to run a toe to toe comparison of amenities and cost, then nothing is ever going to beat the mass market floating shoeboxes; that's precisely why they keep on getting built-

solstice-aft-ns.jpg

Ambiance is such a key part of the R ship experience, but as with luxury or quality, it is almost impossible to quantitate.

Oceania-Insignia-regresa-a-San-Juan-696x385.jpg

We have not even begun to discuss the rapidly dwindling number of ships which are large enough to support ocean liner amenities while carrying only 800 passengers, but that is another gigantic reason to sail Insignia over Celebrity.

pool.jpgafternoon-tea.jpglibrary.jpgartist-loft.jpg

To add to Jim and Stan's great visuals

Celebrity experience is much like going to a mega big city resort with entertainment, shopping, all sorts of dining, and many thousands of other vacationers. Lines, class system promoted, like Aqua class, Spa Class...Captains Club.... etc

Extra charges abound for everything... Fare is just for cabin, and air, tips, tax port, dining, activites are all extra cost

Oceaina Insignia... like visiting a small boutique country hotel with a few hundred fellow guests. Low key, exceptional cuisine, personaly attentive and gracious staff , art classes to lectures in an intimate surounding with well mannered, well spoken and respectful fellow passengers. Conversation and Dining is the entertainment... Almost everything is included except liquor. Outside your cabin everyone treated the same.

In general your fare is pretty close to what your cruise will cost door to door.

Im always amazed when people ask that question..I know I am game to try every cruise line , if I dont like it I wont cruise it again..I love trying different venues and different lines..I have been on almost all of them and have always had the best times..Of course some are better than others but after the first time I am able to pick and choose myself..be adventurous..go for it!!

Jancruz1..

We have 10 plus cruises on Oceania with three more booked and a bunch on celebrity with two more booked. They are both terrific for what they offer. However, the experiences are different. We know many Oceania regulars who also sail celebrity when the itinerary is right. As long as you understand the differences you will be fine.

I have been on Oceania and met cruisers for whom it was their first Oceania cruise, having come from a mass market line. They complain of boredom and "nothing to do on board." If you like a more subdued ambiance and a sophisticated well traveled older crowd and good conversation you will be fine.

Im always amazed when people ask that question..I know I am game to try every cruise line , if I dont like it I wont cruise it again..I love trying different venues and different lines..I have been on almost all of them and have always had the best times..Of course some are better than others but after the first time I am able to pick and choose myself..be adventurous..go for it!!

Jancruz1..

Like you Jan I have been on a full spectrum of lines since the 1970's ( well if you want to count the USN the 1960's) Tried just about all... from NCL Southward to Royal Viking Star and Regent Mariner... All good experiences each building on the last.

Thats how I arrived at Oceania, which was all of the great past experiences, with less of the less than good

I grew tired of the trend of creating ships larger and larger that today surpass even the US Navy's largest aircraft carriers in size and people on board....

I became more and more in love with the concept of the intrinsic beauty of travel by sea and the mega monsters with lawns, ice skating, circus rides, zip lines and shopping malls seemed an obscenity. Being on a floating city, with 5000 to 9000 other people was not a cruise. Finding the Oceania 600 passenger ships was a joy . Yes you need to entertain yourself but thats pretty easy in the company of a bevy or wonderful interesting and well mannered fellow passengers who dont need a 24/7 immersion is all manner of artificial sensory stimulation...

I can't fathom leaving O...... it fits... for me I have 6 more cruises booked and wont even consider another line. Why settle for less... to paraphrase a saying used by many aviators " if it ain't Boeing....I ain't going"... holds true with O and I

Like you Jan I have been on a full spectrum of lines since the 1970's ( well if you want to count the USN the 1960's) Tried just about all... from NCL Southward to Royal Viking Star and Regent Mariner... All good experiences each building on the last.

Thats how I arrived at Oceania, which was all of the great past experiences, with less of the less than good

I grew tired of the trend of creating ships larger and larger that today surpass even the US Navy's largest aircraft carriers in size and people on board....

I became more and more in love with the concept of the intrinsic beauty of travel by sea and the mega monsters with lawns, ice skating, circus rides, zip lines and shopping malls seemed an obscenity. Being on a floating city, with 5000 to 9000 other people was not a cruise. Finding the Oceania 600 passenger ships was a joy . Yes you need to entertain yourself but thats pretty easy in the company of a bevy or wonderful interesting and well mannered fellow passengers who dont need a 24/7 immersion is all manner of artificial sensory stimulation...

I can't fathom leaving O...... it fits... for me I have 6 more cruises booked and wont even consider another line. Why settle for less... to paraphrase a saying used by many aviators " if it ain't Boeing....I ain't going"... holds true with O and I

Dan, what you say is true and follows my adventurous personality..you got there by trying everything..(of course I wasnt in the Navy) but love the way you found O..

Jancruz1