Bonnie & an 11yr old?

hfj17002

How many of you have given Bonnie to your kids? I've read on a forum that ppl have given 1/2 a tablet to their kids. I called my son's Dr & he said he didn't know anything about bonnie, but to give him ginger capsules. I'd rather give him bonnie since it seems to be the most effective with the least amount of side effects, according to many cruise forums I've been on. I know it says 12 & up, but just seeking opinions of other parents. This will be our 1st time crusing. Thanks

Does your son usually suffer from motion sickness? If he doesn't, then perhaps you have nothing to worry about. If you plant the idea in his mind that he will get sick, then guess what... blech! :(

Personally, I would be looking at a non-medicinal seasickness remedy for a child. In our family we have all used the wrist bands with success (I even used them when I was pregnant - worked great). If you feel you want to use medication, you could try to find Bonine for Kids or Gravol for kids, if they have it in your area.

Do not give your child anything your pediatrician hasn't told you to give them! Adult medications, even "over the counter" are not safe for kids! Hell, even OTC drugs aren't exactly "safe" unless taken exactly like the directions tell you to...and most people do NOT follow the directions! Ibuprofen can kill your kidneys....and too much Tylenol can do your body great harm....you have to take according to the directions.

If it says don't give to kids under 12....do NOT give to your child!

Edited by cb at sea

How many of you have given Bonnie to your kids? I've read on a forum that ppl have given 1/2 a tablet to their kids. I called my son's Dr & he said he didn't know anything about bonnie, but to give him ginger capsules. I'd rather give him bonnie since it seems to be the most effective with the least amount of side effects, according to many cruise forums I've been on. I know it says 12 & up, but just seeking opinions of other parents. This will be our 1st time crusing. Thanks

I recommend you take a second look at ginger. There is a reason your doctor recommended it. I get seasick easily. I use ginger and it works great for me.

Usually children don't experience seasickness so I wouldn't even worry about it. I get car sick if I'm reading, but have rarely had a bout of mal de mer. If you go the natural route, ginger candies (candied ginger or drops) will be just as good as the ginger capsules. Also, green apples will work too! They are usually found in the buffet area, and absolutely no additives in a real apple :D

I wouldn't think about using the Bonine at all.

If your physician said "he didn't know a thing about Bonine" I would be looking for a new doctor :). Bonine is simply Meclizine Hcl, which is a very common drug used in the treatment of several inner ear problems including Menieres Disease. Perhaps we could give your physician the benefit of the doubt and he might have understood if you had mentioned Meclizine or Antivert (the prescription name for the identical drug). As I recall, the prescribing info says that they have not established the safety of this drug for those under 12. So if you want to give up to kids it is wise to check with a physician (who knows the drug).

Hank

Usually children don't experience seasickness so I wouldn't even worry about it. I get car sick if I'm reading, but have rarely had a bout of mal de mer. If you go the natural route, ginger candies (candied ginger or drops) will be just as good as the ginger capsules. Also, green apples will work too! They are usually found in the buffet area, and absolutely no additives in a real apple :D

I wouldn't think about using the Bonine at all.

Really? Here is an excerpt right from the Centers of Disease Control (CDC) about motion/seasickness:

"•Age—children aged 2–12 years are especially susceptible, but infants and toddlers are generally immune."

And as a personal note, when I was a child (in the 18th century) I would routinely get both seasick and car sick. In those days the drug of choice was Dramamine (still on the market) which also was a great sleeping pill. Sometime in my teens I outgrew the problem which is a good thing since DW and I have spent about 4 years on various cruise ships.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Really? Here is an excerpt right from the Centers of Disease Control (CDC) about motion/seasickness:

"•Age—children aged 2–12 years are especially susceptible, but infants and toddlers are generally immune."

And as a personal note, when I was a child (in the 18th century) I would routinely get both seasick and car sick.
At the same time?

In those days the drug of choice was Dramamine (still on the market) which also was a great sleeping pill. Sometime in my teens I outgrew the problem which is a good thing since DW and I have spent about 4 years on various cruise ships.

Hank

I think you are ready to try a shorter cruise.

I agree with a previous poster....do not even discuss seasickness with your child because a mere mention of it will be all they will need to make it come on. Get something from the doctor just in case.Do not drug up your child and keep them occupied with no mention of being sea sick. I could bet they will be fine with the great stabilizers that they have in todays ships keeps sea sickness at bay......I suffer terribly from this affliction but not on these modern ships:D

I agree with a previous poster....do not even discuss seasickness with your child because a mere mention of it will be all they will need to make it come on. Get something from the doctor just in case.Do not drug up your child and keep them occupied with no mention of being sea sick.

Exactly. :) If one's child gets seasick, the parents will know it soon enough. :p Speaking of stabilizers, the only cruise my children were sick on was the grand old Rotterdam - very rough trip, entire family green. :p

Thanks for the input everyone. I think I'm going the ginger route after all, but I'm still going to ask my son's Dr again about bonine (not bonnie). This is our 1st cruise & I don't want anyone having a bad experience. I probably should have done a 4 day instead of a 7 day. Oh well, I'm sure I'm worrying over nothing. Thanks again.

Thanks for the input everyone. I think I'm going the ginger route after all, but I'm still going to ask my son's Dr again about bonine (not bonnie).

Good choice. Just make sure he takes a little water with the ginger tablets. I took one before breakfast and one before dinner, each with a 1/2 glass of water (starting with the morning I boarded the ship). I was fine. Many on the ship were seasick. Since I get seasick easily, I can only assume it worked.

Thanks for the input everyone. I think I'm going the ginger route after all, but I'm still going to ask my son's Dr again about bonine (not bonnie). This is our 1st cruise & I don't want anyone having a bad experience. I probably should have done a 4 day instead of a 7 day. Oh well, I'm sure I'm worrying over nothing. Thanks again.

You also might want to mention to the doctor that the active ingredient in Bonine is meclazine. He/she should be familiar with that. The standard over-the-counter pill is 25 milligrams. :)

You also might want to mention to the doctor that the active ingredient in Bonine is meclazine. He/she should be familiar with that. The standard over-the-counter pill is 25 milligrams. :)

What about under the counter?

I agree with a previous poster....do not even discuss seasickness with your child because a mere mention of it will be all they will need to make it come on.

I agree. Do not mention it.

Do nothing unless the child has a history of motion sickness.

If your physician said "he didn't know a thing about Bonine" I would be looking for a new doctor :). Bonine is simply Meclizine Hcl, which is a very common drug used in the treatment of several inner ear problems including Menieres Disease. Perhaps we could give your physician the benefit of the doubt and he might have understood if you had mentioned Meclizine or Antivert (the prescription name for the identical drug). As I recall, the prescribing info says that they have not established the safety of this drug for those under 12. So if you want to give up to kids it is wise to check with a physician (who knows the drug).

Hank

The OP asked about "Bonnie." Which he probably didn't know anything about as it's not "Bonine."