Has anyone been happy they got the drink package?

kscjojrj

Has anyone been happy they got the drink package?

I've done the beverage package once on Norwegian, and once on Carnival.

I really enjoyed the experience on both, but doubt I'll do them again at the current pricing structures, and attached rules.

The challenge for me on Norwegian was the numerous beverages at the Martini Bar (Shakers) that were exempt from the package . . . but I figured that would be the case even before purchasing. It is what it is.

Thanks for the info! I think this helped us save some $$$!!!

We were originally going to do the UBP but I think we are now deciding against it. We have 4 port days on our 7 day so I think right there that might spell no deal. We aren't mixed drink people (except for the mention of mimosas DOES sounds heavenly...). We are beer drinkers, through and through. Based on the $5.50/bottle estimated above, I think we would be best to just pay as we go. It looks like we'd have to each drink 10 beers EACH day (including port days) to break even. If we only sat on the ship, yes. But not with getting off the ship at port.

Drinking beer only makes it even more likely you will save by not having the UBP. You cannot get the bucket special (6 for the price of 5) on the UBP. 1 bucket per day on a port day; 2 buckets on a sea day and carry forward any leftovers in your fridge from day to day.:D

I really enjoyed the experience on both, but doubt I'll do them again at the current pricing structures, and attached rules.

The challenge for me on Norwegian was the numerous beverages at the Martini Bar (Shakers) that were exempt from the package . . . but I figured that would be the case even before purchasing. It is what it is.

Was this on an NCL cruise this year?

I ordered and got a Cosmo, an apple, a chocolate, and a Pomegranate one on our recent Gem sailing

When was this? At Shakers on Epic last week, there was exactly one martini on the menu that was over $10 and not included.

I've done a lot of research on the UDP. I can't decide what to do. I feel like we have 5 days where we will spend the majority of the day on the ship. Not that we are looking to get drunk but it seems like if we are just relaxing by the pool and eating (what I am looking for on this trip) we may have 5-7 drinks. It always seems like I read in the boards not to get the package. I wonder if we don't get it if I will question every drink I get.

Now, understand that even if I had a beverage package, I don't think I would drink more the 4 a day. And that would be SODA, I don't think I would (or could) drink more than 2 alcoholic drinks a day. So I never get a beverage package.

5-7 drinks is very close to the break-even point for the package. If I felt that I could drink 5-7 a day, I would get the package for exactly the reason you list. With the package, you can relax and not question every drink you get. Doesn't that sound like more fun? Is it fun enough to be worth the cost to you?

I only bought the drink package on one cruise - on the MSC Poesea. It was well worth it because it included most drinks plus gelatos and specialty coffees. It was only $31 daily. In comparing that price to most other lines at nearly double the daily rate I decided to just pay for each drink happily.

Was this on an NCL cruise this year?

I ordered and got a Cosmo, an apple, a chocolate, and a Pomegranate one on our recent Gem sailing

When was this? At Shakers on Epic last week, there was exactly one martini on the menu that was over $10 and not included.

Mine was Norwegian EPIC this past February.

The martinis that have been created for me by the marvelous NCL bartenders over recent years don't appear on the 'standard' bar menu . . . and I've gotten a bit hooked on several of them. :)

During the martini tasting offerings I figured I'd simply have them charge each one separately to the package (so I could still be a part of this fun learning event), but some of the multiple liquors, including one ultra-premium, didn't fall within the guidelines.

Odd result, but I accepted it. Still took part, and just decided to 'pony up' the $15. No big deal . . . and had a great time, as always. :)

• 2 weeks later...

We more than got our money's worth with the UBP last week on the Epic. Easily. Most mixed drinks/frozen drinks with gratuity were almost $10 so 5-6 of those and you broke even for the day. I think most days we broke even by early afternoon!! I swear we probably averaged 10-15 drinks per day (with sodas included). We loved trying new drinks, leaving ones we didn't care for, and indulging all day long without worrying about a big bill at the end. The martinis at Shakers were fantastic! I recommend the Rum Cake and Winter Resolution Martinis! No drinks ever appeared on our folio so we didn't see a "real" total but I'm confident we easily made out. Everything was included - I don't think I saw any drinks over $10. I would definitely buy the UBP again - in fact, I can't see cruising without it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by KSU

My dh and I came out $200 ahead so I would say it was worth it to us. We also have a couple of drinks during the day, one before dinner a fee at and after dinner. Not always when we are home but on vacation, yes. My dh is 50 and Im 47.

Im hoping to book the Haven tomorrow for Summer 2016 and the UDP and the UBP are included (as it was last summer when we booked) and this time may not keep my receipts but loved the freedom on everything pre paid.

Enjoy!

We have purchased it twice and will be again for our upcoming cruise.Both times we have found it to be to our advantage and as others have commented it gives you the freedom to try different drinks that you would not normally buy.

As for seeing other cruisers intoxicated trying to get their moneys worth from the plan, that we did not witness on either cruise where we had the UBP. Comments from others onboard that had purchased it were also positive.

May not be for everyone, but it is certainly worth considering.

The spreadsheet that was created for this package I found very helpful for determining its value

It's really a mathematical Q. For us we looked at our past bar bills -- the average & the highest. Then we multiplied the cost of the UBP per day by our # of sailing days. In every instance, the UBP was more than our past bills. Plus & this is huge for us, what we like to drink (nice bottles of wine with dinner) is not included in the package. Yes, they offer wine but not what we wanted. Plus, if we had to wait for somebody to bring us drinks in the dining room we'd grow frustrated by the slow service or end up walking out & getting them ourselves which would also diminish the enjoyment. We also didn't want to give up quality for quantity because college is over.

For other people there can be a savings in which case it can be worth it.

We met a young couple on our last cruise. We saw them after dinner on the last evening, toasting to the fact that they finally broke even. :p Both said they would never buy it again because they felt "compelled" to drink more to get their money's worth. They did say they enjoyed trying new drinks that they might not have tried if they hadn't had the package.

I will let you know once I get back! I am just looking forward to not even thinking about a large bar tab at the end of the cruise. When I booked last week, I was given the offer of either the dining package ( about $240), $200 OBC, or the ultimate beverage package. I figure anything we spend over $240 on drinks / soda is a savings for us!

For the first time, we'd have been better off with the drink package. That is only because we drank a lot of $8-10 drinks this time. Usually our drink ratio is about 60% beer, so our bar bills have been cheaper. This time we were about 60% EXPENSIVE cocktails (blame the craft drinks at the mojito bar), so we would've broken even and probably would've enjoyed a few more daytime cocktails. We also only had three port days, which meant more drinks onboard.

ETA: We felt compelled to drink because the drinks were so good and we were having so much fun! :-)

Edited by weltek

We got it for free this time. I would never pay for it though. We don't drink enough to make it worth it.

Same here, only time we have had UBP (and will again on our upcoming Celebrity cruise and on NCL again in 2016) has been because of a booking promo. It's really nice to have but for us not worth paying for.

Edited by Demonyte

I will let you know once I get back! I am just looking forward to not even thinking about a large bar tab at the end of the cruise. When I booked last week, I was given the offer of either the dining package ( about $240), $200 OBC, or the ultimate beverage package. I figure anything we spend over $240 on drinks / soda is a savings for us!

This is a really good way to look at it for the promo! :)

Hi we just purchased the UBP not bothered if we are $100 up or down, just know I wont be once thinking about the bar bill on our trip, cant see how port days would factor in to the decision making process as most trips are off the boat at 9.30ish and back about 1 ( we don't intend drinking every moment were awake ) but do want the choice of drinking a variety of drinks, the last cruise we stuck to the house wine often to keep costs down so we wont be going down that road this time!

Also if someone can help, as I have paid for it upfront im guessing that's it, tax and gratuity are covered? Also do I need to go to OBS to activate my card for the UBP to work? Thanks

DW and I are beer drinkers and go through several buckets a day while at sea. But, being frugal, we know that we do not drink enough to come close to what the UBP costs, so we pass on that option.

It is a terrific marketing ploy that brings in extra income for the ship. There will be a few passengers that will drink enough to justify it, but I think most will not.

The scary thing is that there are the ones that feel that they have to drink their quota to "earn" it. We ran into more than one couple that commented that they were behind on their drinking and we had not even left the port yet.

Another comment I see time and again is that it is a convenience not being hit with a big surprising bill at the end. Doesn't anyone look at their account during the cruise to see what was spent and to look for possible erroneous charges? Nowadays, you can do it with the TV in your cabin at any time.:confused:

Edited by CTCruisers

I have the same thought on a cruise we just booked.

We are not Foodies so the dining package is not that intriguing for us. Not huge drinkers and we certainly won't be trying to "get our monies worth". Of the three options, we think the drink package is worth more. Nice to end a cruise knowing that there will be no large bill at the end waiting for us.

For us, we would not purchase the ultimate beverage package but if NCL comps us, then it works.

Edited by my_crib_too

VERY well worth it for us on our last NCL cruise - I kept all the receipts, added everything up when I got home and discovered that we made out a whopping $501.94 ahead. Granted, we were on the ship about 95% of the time because we'd already been to most of the ports - the ship was really our destination on that trip, having booked a suite and just wanting to enjoy some R&R.

We booked the ALLIN package on our upcoming NY/Canada cruise - it seemed like a good deal and love the convenience of having both the UBP and UDP. We may not make up the UBP this time because we've never been to any of the ports so we'll be off the ship a lot, but again, the convenience of it is worth it for us.