Muster Drill Safety!

TonyE

Life Jacket

My understanding is that SOLAS Chapter III, Regulation 19, 2.2 states

that:

“On a ship engaged on a voyage where passengers are scheduled to be on board for more than 24 hours, musters of all passengers shall take place within 24 ours after their embarkation. Passengers shall be instructed in the use of the lifejackets and action to take in emergency.”

At our muster drill on the Norwegian Dawn in the Venetian Restaurant on the 1st December 2013 no “instruction in the use of lifejackets” was given. As this is an infringement of Solas regulations can they be prosecuted / punished in some way. If so does anyone know how?

They had life jacket instructions on my November Jewell cruise.

To the Op, next time, you might want to ask at the muster drill how to put on the life jacket. Since it was a very short instruction on my cruise, possibly you missed it or I know on my cruise, some passengers came in just as the muster drill was ending.

As this is an infringement of Solas regulations can they be prosecuted / punished in some way.

For one possible lapse at one muster station (you likely have no idea what happened at the other muster stations) on one ship on one sailing? I am sure that the Feds have bigger fish to fry.

Guess you weren't paying attention like you should have been. I get so frustrated with people who talk, take pictures, and use their cell phones/smartphones during the muster drill, then complain that they didn't see, hear, or learn anything.

As this is an infringement of Solas regulations can they be prosecuted / punished in some way. If so does anyone know how?

My first question would be....how sure are you they didn't do this? When I cruised the Dawn, my muster station was also in the Venetian, and they had staff demonstrating the life jackets on the main stairway at the entrance, along with staff members standing on the tables throughout the room. Additionally, it was demonstrated on the stateroom televisions. Another question....was there instruction on the inside of your stateroom door?

Prosecutable? No.

OP, just for your future if you need:

Instructions

Open the front of the life vest and put it on just as you would a vest. Make sure the flotation collar hangs down the back of the vest.

Fasten the plastic buckle in the front of the vest. Some vests may have a zipper instead of, or in addition to, a plastic buckle.

Adjust the webbing strap attached to the plastic buckle until the vest fits snugly.

Check for proper fit. The Coast Guard advises that you raise your arms above your head as if signaling a touchdown. Turn your head left and right. If your chin touches the vest, it is too loose and should be tightened. Check the fit of a child's vest by tugging up on the vest. If it lifts high enough to cover the child's ears, it is too loose.

Repeat steps 3 and 4 until you have a proper snug fit. Do this before the boat leaves the dock or shore. No life vest works if you don't wear it. (That's from the Coast Guard too.)

Homemade-Life-Jacket.jpg

Now see on my 3 previous cruises, not once was I given instructions on how to do the above. How do I get someone in trouble for not instructing that! :eek: And will it work with anything other than Coke and whatever that closest bottle is, maybe wine bottles?

Kind of brings back "you know you are a redneck when..." :D

Edited by che5904

OP, just for your future if you need:

Instructions

Open the front of the life vest and put it on just as you would a vest. Make sure the flotation collar hangs down the back of the vest.

Fasten the plastic buckle in the front of the vest. Some vests may have a zipper instead of, or in addition to, a plastic buckle.

Adjust the webbing strap attached to the plastic buckle until the vest fits snugly.

Check for proper fit. The Coast Guard advises that you raise your arms above your head as if signaling a touchdown. Turn your head left and right. If your chin touches the vest, it is too loose and should be tightened. Check the fit of a child's vest by tugging up on the vest. If it lifts high enough to cover the child's ears, it is too loose.

Repeat steps 3 and 4 until you have a proper snug fit. Do this before the boat leaves the dock or shore. No life vest works if you don't wear it. (That's from the Coast Guard too.)

You can also pay attention the next time you fly... their life vest operate the same way..... if you can't pay attention during the drill, OR figure out how to put one one........stay home cause you won't make it if there is a emergency..... just sayin.

Life Jacket

My understanding is that SOLAS Chapter III, Regulation 19, 2.2 states

that:

“On a ship engaged on a voyage where passengers are scheduled to be on board for more than 24 hours, musters of all passengers shall take place within 24 ours after their embarkation. Passengers shall be instructed in the use of the lifejackets and action to take in emergency.”

At our muster drill on the Norwegian Dawn in the Venetian Restaurant on the 1st December 2013 no “instruction in the use of lifejackets” was given. As this is an infringement of Solas regulations can they be prosecuted / punished in some way. If so does anyone know how?

Since there is also a tv presentation available in your cabin that probably fulfills the letter of the law.

But I am surprised that no crew member stood in front of the group and put on a life jacket demonstrating. That has been done on every cruise I've been on.

Tony E a/k/a OP - I am wondering if you mentioned this to any of the crew, such as the Hotel Director while you where onboard? If this indeed happened the way you explained, I would think if it bothered you that much, you would have let someone in charge know about it right away whille on the ship. At that point something may have been able to be done about it. At this point, the information is after the fact and useless. BTW, we were on the Dawn and did not have this experience.