How do you prepare for all the stairs?

Mommyof1

On every cruise I try to take the stairs as much as possible. I feel like walking up and down several flights of stairs balances out the food.. LOL My problem is my calves are burning by the 3rd day even if I stretch every night. Does anyone else have this problem?

I like to consider myself an active person. I'm overweight but I work out 4-5 days a week with a mixture of weights, elliptical, treadmill and Zumba. Regardless of all this I get winded by the 4th flight of stairs. Today I started with just 5 mins on the Stairmaster with a level 1 and walked 7 flights. I'm hoping doing this a few days a week will help build my endurance.

Anyone else have this issue and any tips so I'm not limping around by day 3? (I realize I couldn't just skip the stairs or just only walk down the stairs but looking for alternatives to keeping me active). Thanks!

Since it is very hard to out exercise a bad diet, taking the stairs may not give you much of a benefit. To prevent your issues of sore calf muscles, add standing leg/calf raises to your workouts. Do these with your toes on a raised surface or step to increase the range of motion. Three sets of 6-12 reps if male, and 10-16 for female. I do these one leg at a time with a dumbbell in the had of the same leg I am raising to increase resistance. As they get easier to do and you max out on reps, increase the weight. It will help build up your calf muscles and give them more endurance. It of course won't work for being winded after a few flights. That will probably require more cardio exercise for endurance and losing weight.

I think you are right to start with the stairmaster. Do the interval program. Make the top resistance 2 levels below the nax level you can do for 1minute. Let the rest (lower) intervals be 1/2 of that. Gradually increase the level of the rest interval. As you get stronger do the higher intervals at a faster cadence but don't increase the level until rest is 1level below or equal to higher intervals. Start at 10minutes, build to 20. Walk, jog on track it treadmill on alternate days same time. On tread raise tread up a bit. Body weight squats, lunges, calf raises are good. Multi vitamins aren't going to help fitness. If you want to take one just make sure it covers at least 50% or more of DRA and no more than 200% RDA. Anything more gets expelled down the drain. And remember walking down stairs is harder on knees than walking up.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Start taking the stairs and working out now...it will save your life....DH, DS and myself have always ONLY used stairs on our cruises...best thing you can do and what a waste of time to wait for the elevators all day...we stay on deck 7 typically which is half way up and half way down...so yourself a favor and use the stairs no matter where you are...your body and heart will thank you for it.....:D

On every cruise I try to take the stairs as much as possible. I feel like walking up and down several flights of stairs balances out the food.. LOL My problem is my calves are burning by the 3rd day even if I stretch every night. Does anyone else have this problem?

I like to consider myself an active person. I'm overweight but I work out 4-5 days a week with a mixture of weights, elliptical, treadmill and Zumba. Regardless of all this I get winded by the 4th flight of stairs. Today I started with just 5 mins on the Stairmaster with a level 1 and walked 7 flights. I'm hoping doing this a few days a week will help build my endurance.

Anyone else have this issue and any tips so I'm not limping around by day 3? (I realize I couldn't just skip the stairs or just only walk down the stairs but looking for alternatives to keeping me active). Thanks!

Good for you.

I recommend limiting the stairs to 3 decks at a time.....but multiple times per day. You'll build up endurance without the pain.

I'm in great shape....but I don't push myself to do more than my body is comfortable with.

Remember a flight of stairs spanning decks is longer than most common flights of stairs spanning floors in a building. Figure for every 2 decks you walk the stairs that would equal 3 flights of stairs in a building. Base your increases in exercise regiment on that ratio.

Also stretching is not a once a day activity, it should be done before any increased activity level than what you experience on your normal daily routine. This might mean that you might have to find time (and some times a place) to stretch before moving on to your next on board or port activity. Just walking around the decks on a ship going from venue to venue is more steps than some people people walk when at home or work. Think of it this way how many of us have 800+ feet to cross between the dinner table and the entertainment area of the house to watch a show when done eating?

Also don't discount the (lack of) quality of the sidewalks and pathways you might be walking in port and the type of shoes you are wearing compare to what you are used around your hometown or work. Weak structured shoes like nice light and airy sandals may not give you the proper support when on uneven pavement or on rocky paths. Without you realizing it your body might be making your feet, ankles, and calves do micro-balance adjustments to keep you from stumbling. And things like flip flops though comfortable in typical North American backyard, running a quick errand near home or when on board on the Lido deck, they should never be your primary footwear when in port. A good solid hiking or river rafting sandal should be worn until on soft sand if going to the beach, or just a decent pair of sneakers with proper arch support can help to reduces muscle fatigue while wandering around port. For more active excursions an tours consider the same type of footwear you wear to use the StairMaster.

Lasly another cause of intermittent calf pain for those of us not exactly in tip top physical condition (myself included) especially if over 40 you might consider having a doppler sonogram of the legs or at the very least an ankle-brachial index exam. In the ankle-brachial index exam 4 -6 blood pressure cuffs are placed on all your arms and legs then simultaneously readings are taken, a differentiation between readings could mean there is blood vessel constriction, DVT, or PAD. Those with diabetes, high blood pressure, pronounced varicose veins, multiple spider veins, or fly more than 4 hours a lot should have these tests done regardless of age or physical fitness.

Could also be lack of proper hydration....I work outside and when I neglect to hydrate properly my calves are the first thing to scream at me.....If I make a point( and effort ) to drink one gallon a day things are much better.

I agree. It's all about hydration. Drink lots of water.........Vodka & water, Scotch & water, Gin & water, Tequila & water. Drink enough and you won't feel the pain.

It happens with age or lack of fitness.

4 flights of stairs will leave you a bit winded even if your muscles are in shape. Most likely you are taking them too fast.

If your calves are having issues strengthening them can't hurt. Incorporate calf raises into your weight routine and make sure you add a good amount of incline when you do you elliptical and treadmill.

But I don't feel like I have to walk up EVERY flight of stairs on the cruise. 4 flights is close to the breaking point of when we will just take the elevator. You are on vacation, if you are limping you can't be enjoying it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you everyone for the great responses! While I understand I could just take the elevator (which I always do when we're dressed for dinner) and that stairs won't really balance out a bad diet, I appreciate all the replies and awesome tips. I drink plenty of water at home and on vacation (I rarely drink soda). I'll be using several of these at the gym starting today.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Forums mobile app

Good for you that you are trying to stay in shape. One of the posts mentioned standing calve raises that's what I do and my calves never burn even after climbing 8 flights of stairs. Yes I can not go up as fast as I use too but I go up with out losing my breath. Even though you climb the stairs you should still choose a healthy diet. Over the years Carnival has made huge strides in the healthy food choices on their ships, if you look at the crew especially the dancers they probably eat a healthy diet all the time.

Gary

...if you look at the crew especially the dancers they probably eat a healthy diet all the time.

Gary

I guess you've never been to the end service of the late night snack/eats on the Lido deck. Many of the dancers are carb loading prior to overnight rehearsals (or maybe crew drinking parties).

Sent from my STV100-2 using Forums mobile app

Magnesium supplements. Also I strongly recommend stretching am and pm, using stairclimber at gym and calf raises daily.

I actually already take Magnesium at bedtime for restless leg syndrome but I plan on increasing it another 250 MG during the cruise. Thanks for the info!