Delta changed flight

Djaye

Delta changed our return flight from YVR, only giving us 40 mins to connect in Seattle. My new option for a longer connection time would have us leave YVR at 11:55 a.m. Is this too early? We plan to use Celebrity's luggage valet service, so will have no bags to schlep, and we are Concierge Class passengers - which may give us some priority in getting off the ship?? Advice, anyone?? Is 40 mins enough time to change planes in SEA??

Delta changed our return flight from YVR, only giving us 40 mins to connect in Seattle. My new option for a longer connection time would have us leave YVR at 11:55 a.m. Is this too early? We plan to use Celebrity's luggage valet service, so will have no bags to schlep, and we are Concierge Class passengers - which may give us some priority in getting off the ship?? Advice, anyone?? Is 40 mins enough time to change planes in SEA??

I would opt for the 11:55am flight...just be in the first group off the ship...while you might be able to connect in 40 min at SEA..I would prefer not to...I've ran thru SEA before...something I wouldn't want to do again.

I always want at least 90 minutes between flights due to some medical problems I have. Before these appeared I wanted at least 60 minutes. If n airline changed a flight they got a call to get it right.

At SeaTac you're connecting to which airline after Delta?

SeaTac is pretty big and some concourses require a tram so it can take some time depending on which airline and where the gate is located.

YVR is only 30 minutes from the pier so a noon flight should be fine.

At SeaTac you're connecting to which airline after Delta?

SeaTac is pretty big and some concourses require a tram so it can take some time depending on which airline and where the gate is located.

YVR is only 30 minutes from the pier so a noon flight should be fine.

It's Delta to Delta, but if it's anything like ATL airport, you can land in one concourse and have to travel quite a distance to the other, even on the same airline. If we miss the 1:00, the next flights are evening flights which would not get us home until the next day. If we didn't make the 11:55 (and we should, it seems), at least there is a chance we could get a later flight. I think I just answered my own question, with all of your help. Thanks!

I've sailed Celebrity several times and they have always accommodated our flight time (for independently booked flights) with lots of room to spare. They ask mid-cruise what time your flight is and then assign you a luggage tag accordingly. You should be in even better shape because, unless they have changed their policy recently, passengers without "checked" luggage are able to disembark whenever they want (I'm not sure if this is the official policy, but that is what we were told to do when we wanted to get off early to sightsee despite having a later flight)-- we simply wheeled all our own luggage down the gangplank without any problem.

Delta seems to change flights more than any other airline out there. Happens to me all the time. What I've learned, is that if I'm unhappy with the changes, Delta will usually let you switch to something else without any fight. Doesn't have to be same connecting airport, or even same day. So take a look at all the flights originating in YVR and ending at your final destination that day. We got the cheapest tickets to YVR for our upcoming cruise, which had us changing planes twice. After Delta changed our flights, I was able to get us all on the one-stop, most direct flights, without having to change in Seattle.

I believe Delta is one of the WORST at doing this, changing flights around.

I check ours daily.

I don't know about SEA, (one should be able to look up a map of their terminals) but we have changed planes with Delta at ATL...

OMG!!!!!

The kicker might be if one is changing flights between domestic and international terminals.

At ATL we were changing from domestic to an international flight to Mexico, and had to travel for what seemed miles... riding the rail system, etc...

Domestic to Domestic might be okay.

But going from one area/terminal to another might be a huge deal.

Hope this helps.

We are scheduled for a noon flight out of YVR...

Plan on being one of the first to 'walk-off' the ship, and have Vancouver Shuttle booked for the transfer.

Edited by Wishing on a star

Airlines have minimum connections times for each airport so in Delta's opinion 40 min is doable at SEA for a domestic flight, which yours is because as a PP mentioned you clear customs in VAN.

When it comes to getting a free change the change usually has to be of a certain time, usually seems to be more then a 30 min change for most airlines. If they change your flight 10 min from say 1:00p to a 1:10p in most cases they will not give you a free change, but if changing it by 10 min makes your connection time less then the minimum you might also get a free change. If you want a change call and ask them if your flight qualifies as a free change and mention you are leery of the shorter connection time and making the second flight. Even if it does not qualify for a free change airlines sometimes will give you a free change. It can be easier for them to fix a potential problem before you fly then try and change it when a connection is missed and they are trying to get you on another flight. Also keep the airlines 800# handy. If there is a long line of people ahead of you trying to change flights you can call and sometimes get it changed over the phone before you even make it to the desk. Could be the difference in making the next flight and having the people 5 ahead of you in line getting the last seats.

Take the 11:55 flight. Let Celebrity know the time of your flight and request priority debarkation. Odds are you'll be off the ship by 8:00. Just make sure you have transportation lined up to take you to the airport. Waiting in line for a cab can take a VERY LONG time.

I believe Delta is one of the WORST at doing this, changing flights around.

I check ours daily.

I don't know about SEA, (one should be able to look up a map of their terminals) but we have changed planes with Delta at ATL...

OMG!!!!!

The kicker might be if one is changing flights between domestic and international terminals.

At ATL we were changing from domestic to an international flight to Mexico, and had to travel for what seemed miles... riding the rail system, etc...

Domestic to Domestic might be okay.

But going from one area/terminal to another might be a huge deal.

Hope this helps.

We are scheduled for a noon flight out of YVR...

Plan on being one of the first to 'walk-off' the ship, and have Vancouver Shuttle booked for the transfer.

Recommendation for specific shuttle service??

Thanks to all for flight recommendations. I tried routing though MSP, but it was fully booked. Only option is the 11:55, connecting in SEA which Delta did for no additional charge. Now looking for transportation to airport. Had planned on a cab, but read that can be a long wait. Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks!

Thanks to all for flight recommendations. I tried routing though MSP, but it was fully booked. Only option is the 11:55, connecting in SEA which Delta did for no additional charge. Now looking for transportation to airport. Had planned on a cab, but read that can be a long wait. Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks!

Seriously, check with Celebrity.

I fly DL often..and yes they do make changes...however I've been booked on an AA flight LAX-SJU for May since last November and I've had 4 flight changes. Even Alaska made a change last September...to their seasonal flights...they changed me to a 10:30am departure flight from YVR after my Alaska cruise (:eek:)..no way was I going to do that with a large extended family that included a toddler. I ended up having to change airports to make things work. So all carriers change flights ;)

Delta seems to change flights more than any other airline out there. Happens to me all the time. What I've learned, is that if I'm unhappy with the changes, Delta will usually let you switch to something else without any fight. Doesn't have to be same connecting airport, or even same day. So take a look at all the flights originating in YVR and ending at your final destination that day. We got the cheapest tickets to YVR for our upcoming cruise, which had us changing planes twice. After Delta changed our flights, I was able to get us all on the one-stop, most direct flights, without having to change in Seattle.

Exactly what I was going to say!

Thanks!

Check out the West Coast Departures Board, should be lots of info there.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=413

Delta changed our return flight from YVR, only giving us 40 mins to connect in Seattle.

We plan to use Celebrity's luggage valet service, so will have no bags to schlep, and we are Concierge Class passengers - which may give us some priority in getting off the ship?? Advice, anyone?? Is 40 mins enough time to change planes in SEA??

Celebrity's Luggage valet is not offered in Vancouver.

I would probably go with the flight. If you miss your connection, they will rebook you and hopefully it will all work out. You may not get home the same day but chances are good.

Edited by Coral

I would opt for the 11:55am flight...just be in the first group off the ship...while you might be able to connect in 40 min at SEA..I would prefer not to...I've ran thru SEA before...something I wouldn't want to do again.

You should have no problem. Delta has a group of 5 gates in the South Terminal. If late, they will hold the plane as most of the travelers on your flight from Vancouver are cruise people just like you.

Celebrity's Luggage valet is not offered in Vancouver.

I would probably go with the flight. If you miss your connection, they will rebook you and hopefully it will all work out. You may not get home the same day but chances are good.

This info from Celebrity Site re: luggage valet. In addition I just called to double confirm. Additional conditions: must be on the same airline all the way through and end up in the US.

Luggage Valet

A service we offer to help make your return travels as carefree as your cruise. The last evening onboard, you can receive your airline boarding passes, luggage tags and baggage claim checks. The next morning, simply place your checked bags outside your door. We'll take care of the rest. From our ship, to the airport, to your home – your luggage will be taken care of. And you won't wait in line at the airport for your boarding passes, because you'll already have them. Hassle-free travel. Designed for You.

This service is available in select ports and with select airlines only. Ports: Fort Lauderdale, Los Angeles, Miami, Port Canaveral, San Diego, San Juan, Seattle, Seward and Vancouver. Airlines: Air Canada, Air Tran, Alaska Airlines, American, Continental, Delta, Jet Blue, Southwest Airlines, United and US Airways. Airline participation varies by port. Consult the Guest Relations Desk onboard for specific port qualifications and additional information. An additional fee will apply.

This info from Celebrity Site re: luggage valet. In addition I just called to double confirm. Additional conditions: must be on the same airline all the way through and end up in the US.

Luggage Valet

A service we offer to help make your return travels as carefree as your cruise. The last evening onboard, you can receive your airline boarding passes, luggage tags and baggage claim checks. The next morning, simply place your checked bags outside your door. We'll take care of the rest. From our ship, to the airport, to your home – your luggage will be taken care of. And you won't wait in line at the airport for your boarding passes, because you'll already have them. Hassle-free travel. Designed for You.

This service is available in select ports and with select airlines only. Ports: Fort Lauderdale, Los Angeles, Miami, Port Canaveral, San Diego, San Juan, Seattle, Seward and Vancouver. Airlines: Air Canada, Air Tran, Alaska Airlines, American, Continental, Delta, Jet Blue, Southwest Airlines, United and US Airways. Airline participation varies by port. Consult the Guest Relations Desk onboard for specific port qualifications and additional information. An additional fee will apply.

What I read did not include Vancouver:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/explore/singleColLanding.do?pagename=onboard_outstanding_service

There was a service a few years back that was organized by the airport/customs/cruiselines in Vancouver and was amazing. They stopped it for some reason. You even bypassed Customs and Immigration. I didn't realize any cruise line was doing anything remotely similar again.

What I read did not include Vancouver:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/explore/singleColLanding.do?pagename=onboard_outstanding_service

There was a service a few years back that was organized by the airport/customs/cruiselines in Vancouver and was amazing. They stopped it for some reason. You even bypassed Customs and Immigration. I didn't realize any cruise line was doing anything remotely similar again.

That was the "Cruise Direct" program. We used it a few years ago and agree it was a great service...that's been discontinued.