Bacon (please don't make fun of my post!)

bubbadogmom

My topic is Bacon. And the lack there of......

Most of you may think I am crazy, and I can live with that, but it's actually a legitimate question!

I'm just wondering if there is/was an explanation for what I experienced; like perhaps there was a pork shortage?? Or perhaps it is a cruise line specific issue?

My last 2 cruises I had vastly different experiences, ranging from one extreme to the other.

Just last month I sailed the NCL Breakaway - New York to Bermuda. I was pleasantly surprised. There was bacon everywhere!! Every station full at the buffet and replenished constantly with fresh piles of delicious crispy bacon!! Every day!! It was heaven!!

But last April on the Reflection, it was the total opposite. It almost became amusing by the end of the week and I had given up and just ate sausages (although hmmm - that's pork too).

Every morning during breakfast, didn't matter early or late - there was a HUGE line up for bacon. Like 10-12+ people, at every single bacon station. the trays were always empty, and when a tray was put down, hot from the kitchen, it was barely 1/3 full and would be gone within seconds, and then the 15-20 minute wait for bacon and lineups would resume. I swear I almost saw like 4 fights nearly break out - people wanted their bacon!

It was seriously one of the craziest things I had ever seen. I tried asking one day but never got an answer, they just laughed and said people like bacon.

I guess I just accepted that it was a hot commodity and maybe expensive and they were rationing it.

It was specifically JUST bacon - nothing else was short.

So I was very pleasantly surprised on the Breakaway when the bacon was plentiful and replaced just as quickly as other items.

Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon?

It's just that I'm taking my dad on his first cruise and I need to warn him in advance to not be disappointed if he can't get bacon without a 20 min wait!

I am sure it happens.

The bacon guy fails to deliver at the dock. Instant bacon shortage.

One of the unsung heroes on a cruise ship is the person in charge of the inventory and supplies. Like the ships plumber nobody thinks about them until something goes wrong.

I can't remember which cruise it was on, I would have to go back and reread my reviews because the following was so noticeable that I actually wrote about it, but we were on a cruise where the entire buffet was self serve EXCEPT when it came to bacon. They had an employee that actually held on to the tongs and doled out the bacon 1 piece at a time. Of course the line moved very slowly because a person would get to the head of the line, ask for bacon, and get 1 piece. They would ask if they could have a few more strips and get one. They would have to keep asking until they got the number of pieces they wanted.

A few weeks ago in the US, there were dire predictions of a bacon shortage. Maybe Celebrity was practicing?

So.

Bacon fan here.

I googled 'Bacon shortage 2015'

Lovely puns : 'Aporkalypse' 'Squealing for mercy'.....

There was the great escargot debacle recently on RCL, and also lemons..... or was it limes?

Kudos to all the supply personnel on board in stocking those huge larders on board....if you ever get to do a behind the scenes tour highly recommend shelling out for this if you don't get a freebie. They'll reject a consignment if it's not up to scratch (pun intended).

So.

Bacon fan here.

I googled 'Bacon shortage 2015'

Lovely puns : 'Aporkalypse' 'Squealing for mercy'.....

There was the great escargot debacle recently on RCL, and also lemons..... or was it limes?

Yeah, there was a worldwide shortage of escargot something to do with they were not breeding as fast as normal or something and therefore there was a very limited number of escargot of harvesting size available.

And it was Limes in early 2014. Some disease/canker took over many of the crops, and the remaining crops were controlled by the Mexican cartels, and they jumped the price of the limited limes ten fold or something like that for a while. Many airlines even completely removed them from their drink carts for a while. It was as much about the limited supply as it was price.

Edited by cle-guy

Can I hijack this thread and "get an amen" that all bacon should be well done and crispy? There's nothing worse than waiting for bacon and once you get it, it's soft and chewy #baconproblems

More information needed as to how it is being served.

Between 2 slices of thick white Warburtons with either red or brown sauce crispy won't do at all. :eek: :mad: :p

Can I hijack this thread and "get an amen" that all bacon should be well done and crispy? There's nothing worse than waiting for bacon and once you get it, it's soft and chewy #baconproblems

Why burn it up like that? This is a source of battle in our household. I tend to just go for Canadian bacon to get the consistency I like. Crisp, dry bacon is for salads only! :D

On our April cruise, my husband said he was going to eat bacon at every meal that he could. I said, sure. Well, he started out strong, and kept going until towards the end of our 15 nighter. He had a doctor's appt. shortly after we got home and postponed it for a bit because he was afraid his cholesterol was going to be through the roof and the doctor would get mad. I told him, you play, you pay. Seriously!:rolleyes:

We did not have any bacon problems on our Reflection cruise.

The only regret was that it was mid-week before we realized they had freshly carved peameal bacon (which my family loves!). This may or may not be what non-Canadians refer to as Canadian Bacon; IIRC on the ship it was referred to as English Bacon.

This time, we'll be looking for this from Day 1!!

I find with most cruiseship bacon; it is always cut far too think and is always far too greasy.