Aaaaand I don't think I can take this ship seriously anymore

Really!?!?!? The big magenta polar bear is killing me. 30ft tall?! Are the folks in China going to think the ship has been taken over by a mammalian Godzilla (sponsored by T Mobile)? Wow... And not the way RCCL wants me to say wow either

ImageUploadedByForums1407915181.779895.jpg.e21566b29845cf7bc66d1643a4145a1d.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by InTheWASide

It's Royal Caribbean, not Celebrity, Princess, or Holland-America. It's the next evolution of this line towards 'family friendly' and 'family fun'. And after they announced it had bumper cars, could you really have taken it seriously from that point on?

And I'm guessing the passengers who book when she is based out of China will love it.

:D

I don't view it as anything different than the penguins above the Liberty of the Seas bridge. They were just as random and out of place but at the same time slightly cool and an easy way to differentiate her from other ships of the class. There both just art in the end, it's meant to make you think and create different opinions and discussions.

I like it. It's different. Just one more thing to set the ship apart. Another example of RCI thinking outside the box.

I agree. At first I was a bit taken aback by it, but the more I looked at it, the more I liked it. I think white would be boring, maybe blue, but that would be a bit boring too, since there is a lot of blue on the ship (love the blue hull). So, for me at least, the magenta works. It is art and it is subjective. I think it meant to be a fun piece without any real significance and agree it is done to set the ship apart. Which it certainly does. Bravo RCI, I love the look of the ship and art. The bar is very high, and I can't imagine how hard it is to come up with new and different ideas in an industry that is so competive. I am very excited about my Nov cruise. :D

I like it. It's different. Just one more thing to set the ship apart. Another example of RCI thinking outside the box.

I agree. I always give Royal Caribbean credit for being original and thinking outside the box. For me, any art piece or collection that evokes a reaction, good or bad, is a success. It's when there is no reaction and the art is essentially ignored that I consider it a complete failure. Princess probably has the most boring, bland, nondescript art collection (if you can call it that) afloat. It's generally the paint by numbers variety and probably could be found in any Marriott convention hotel in the midwest somewhere. Sort of goes with the bland decor although at least ROYAL & REGAL have stepped it up in that regard somewhat.

This big pink bear on QUANTUM will certainly provide the ship with some distinction. That is important when all the new breeds of cruise ships look somewhat similar. The Royal Princess Class, Quantum Class, and Breakaway Class all share substantial design traits with the Solstice Class, which basically started this design trend. Apparently the Solstice Class design is so good that it's worth repeating. As they say, imitation is the sincerest form or flattery!

Realy guys!!! All this attention to a Bear!!! Just take a couple of steps back and take a good look a her. She's a beauty. By the way, bet you that alot of pictures will be showing up on Cruise Critic with this Bear.

Envoyé de mon iPad à l'aide de Forums

I think an animal a bit more nautical themed would have been more appropriate. I appreciate art comes in all flavors, sizes, and shapes, but this is kind of tacky in my opinion.

Now that Viking Crown Lounges are gone for the first time ever is RCI's "signature" going to be this "cheez"?

It's a floating amusement park. Not a cruise ship of the past. For better and for worse. And yes, I would very much like to sail on the ship still.

I think an animal a bit more nautical themed would have been more appropriate. I appreciate art comes in all flavors, sizes, and shapes, but this is kind of tacky in my opinion.

Now that Viking Crown Lounges are gone for the first time ever is RCI's "signature" going to be this "cheez"?

It's a floating amusement park. Not a cruise ship of the past. For better and for worse. And yes, I would very much like to sail on the ship still.

All mass-market cruise lines are trying to appeal to a broader market and come up with new innovations. Royal Caribbean is no exception. Yes their ships might be considered "floating amusement parks" and this essentially started with the Voyager Class. People said the same things you are now when Royal Caribbean first introduced ice skating rinks, rock climbing walls, a carousel, the Royal Promenade, zip line, flow rider, a boxing ring, rising cocktail lounge, inline staking track, self leveling pool tables, etc. etc. With each ship Royal Caribbean raises the bar on innovation. If you want tradition or a ship of the past, Royal Caribbean is not for you. Try Cunard or Holland America.

Other mass-market lines have their own gimmicks. NCL & Carnival with massive water slides and ropes courses, and to a lessor degree Princess with a fountain show and walkway extended over the side of the ship. These are all attempts to wow passengers, get headlines, and attract new market share especially the family demographic. Kids today are not satisfied with a small playroom tucked in the corner, and these innovations are needed to keep up with land based resorts.

Thankfully if you're looking for a more traditional experience there are lines that cater to that as well. That is the great thing about the cruise industry today … there is literally something for everyone.

In this day and age, Royal would not be able to stay up with competition building ships of the past. It would be like going backwards.

I'm not a fan of the color of the bear, but I don't mind the bear itself. But I also hope this stuff doesn't become a "signature"...I love the look of the VCL's!

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

So, is the bear purely decorative? Why this color. What does it represent? Does it tie into something else on the ship?

Just curious:confused:

MARAPRINCE

He's right next to the rock wall. Instead of ringing a bell if you reach the top, you get to press a button to hear him roar.

</joking>