Is Royal next to do an all inclusive ship? NCL just announced theirs

Not free, but close!

The prices I see today are as follows,,

RCL Majesty 3 day OV $239.

NCL Sky 3 day OV $269. ($30. total more PP for free drinks, not bad)

RCL Majesty 4 day OV $262.

NCL Sky 4 day OV $289. ($27.total more PP for free drinks, again not bad)

So it would seem a pretty good deal right now!:D

I think the change begins in January 2016 (though I just read the article casually). Are these the prices for now, or for next year?

In the UK it's common for the companies to offer us all inclusive. But we pay for it. Booking through a U.S. Agent is £400 cheaper than paying for the UK package with 'free' drinks and grats! It all evens out

In the UK it's common for the companies to offer us all inclusive. But we pay for it. Booking through a U.S. Agent is £400 cheaper than paying for the UK package with 'free' drinks and grats! It all evens out

$4000 dollar cheaper to book via the USA on the cruise that I have booked. but hey we get inclusive $8 a glass wine so that must be a good deal all round!

To add additional adults to a room on a 12 day brilliance summer cruise was £89 or about £200 ($300) with tips etc. They get the free select booze package with that. Great if you are 4 drinking adults - not so good if you are families who paid $4000 more than the uSA price for the cabin to begin with.

I think the change begins in January 2016 (though I just read the article casually). Are these the prices for now, or for next year?

The prices I put down were for Jan 2016 when this free drinks starts from a very popular cruise sale site..:D

Of course, as the ship sells out, the prices will go up.

Edited by American Bear

I personally like having the option to buy the drink packages. There are some cruises where I would want it, like when we're with party friends or a guys cruise. But when it's just me and my wife I don't tend to drink as much and it wouldn't be worth the extra price and calories.

They definitely raised the fare prices to cover for it.

I'm booked this October on a Promo that includes the Ultimate Beverage Package. $239 pp for an OV room.

Same week, same room in 2016 All Inclusive it is $409 per person.

Cheapest inside for this October (no promo included) was $179. Cheapest inside, same week next October with All Inclusive $339 per person.

So, yeah, they are basically baking in most of the cost of the package to the cruise fare. However there are deals to be had, like $199 for first and second week of December 2016.

I don't think RCI will follow suit.

http://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/sky?&cheetahid=AAAAAA&cid=EM_MKD_NA_TCT_EML_Sky_EML_SHIPSKY_SKY042415_NA#inclusive

NCL is making the Sky (3-4 day Bahamas) an all inclusive ship at of 2016 sailings onwards. Basically, looks like the reservations now all include the drinks package - no longer being just an option.

I've not paid close attention to what anyone else is doing, but I wonder if this is the trend, and if Royal will be next to launch their experiment.

Interesting concept to try on just one specific ship. For sure they can see if it works over time by the bookings and if the concept is profitable. For me, I would have to see as you begin to pay for things you may not utilize, but it will be interesting to see how it works for both passengers and cruise line.

I really hope not. I don't blame anyone for buying the drinks packages but bar service, especially around the pools, has really suffered since these packages were introduced. I'm afraid to see what would happen to service if the entire ship was included.

The prices I put down were for Jan 2016 when this free drinks starts from a very popular cruise sale site..:D

Another thing to consider is, NCL also just announced all room service orders come at a cost of $7.95. That's 24/7, not just late at night like RCI's fee.

While some things may appear free, they get they're money one way or another.

Another thing to consider is, NCL also just announced all room service orders come at a cost of $7.95. That's 24/7, not just late at night like RCI's fee.

No charge for suite guests.

Again, a true AI cruise should not even have a RS charge-any time of the day/night I'm thinking

You may have seen these prices before they had updated to reflect the new prices. Sometimes it can take a few days footprint other sites to catch up.

From the NCL site the cheapest OV on a 3 day was $339 and for a 4 day it was $409. That's in Jan 2016.

Prices other than Jan and Dec are quite a bit higher.

Not saying it's not a good deal (depending on how much you want to drink) but they certainly did raise their prices to cover the costs.

While some things may appear free, they get they're money one way or another.

They got so much flack that breakfast is free again. But only continental items. I think the 7.95 charges only exists on 2 ships so far but will go fleet wide as sure as the sun rises in the east

I would have thought it would make better sense to try this experiment first on a one night "cruise to nowhere", which truly are a "booze-cruise".....

But then again, maybe not, as they probably figure they can make more the way they are already doing it, selling separately to most of the passengers...

And since the one-nighter's are few and far between, it would be hard to guage results of the test, as opposed to a regular schedule....

http://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/sky?&cheetahid=AAAAAA&cid=EM_MKD_NA_TCT_EML_Sky_EML_SHIPSKY_SKY042415_NA#inclusive

NCL is making the Sky (3-4 day Bahamas) an all inclusive ship at of 2016 sailings onwards. Basically, looks like the reservations now all include the drinks package - no longer being just an option.

I've not paid close attention to what anyone else is doing, but I wonder if this is the trend, and if Royal will be next to launch their experiment.

If what they have done is add the drink package to the cruise deal and increase the cost, that isn't "all inclusive" to me. If they include all tips, specialty restaurants, photos -- then maybe it would be a good deal, but not necessarily so for everyone -- but if it just forces a drink package on the cruiser, it won't be worth it to me.

DH and I are not big drinkers, nor do we buy a lot of photos and the only specialty restaurant we generally go to on a cruise is Izumi (and the smaller ships in the fleet that do the weekend cruises, do not have it). I am sure we are not alone so that would be negative encouragement for us to take that kind of cruise.

You may have seen these prices before they had updated to reflect the new prices. Sometimes it can take a few days footprint other sites to catch up.

From the NCL site the cheapest OV on a 3 day was $339 and for a 4 day it was $409. That's in Jan 2016.

Prices other than Jan and Dec are quite a bit higher.

Not saying it's not a good deal (depending on how much you want to drink) but they certainly did raise their prices to cover the costs.

The price I quoted 'yesterday' was from a major cruise sales site not NCL's site, and included free drinks.

I commented yesterday, a good deal sells out fast, and you are correct the prices today are up substantially!:)

For these prices today its not a very good deal at all.:)

I would have thought it would make better sense to try this experiment first on a one night "cruise to nowhere", which truly are a "booze-cruise".....

But then again, maybe not, as they probably figure they can make more the way they are already doing it, selling separately to most of the passengers...

And since the one-nighter's are few and far between, it would be hard to guage results of the test, as opposed to a regular schedule....

The price I quoted 'yesterday' was from a major cruise sales site not NCL's site, and included free drinks.

I commented yesterday, a good deal sells out fast, and you are correct the prices today are up substantially!:)

For these prices today its not a very good deal at all.:)

Interesting. That TA must have been offering a deal on those rooms then because if you check a site that you can see historical prices you would see that the rates for all the rooms were raised either on March 30 or 31.

Agree that at the previous prices it would have been a great deal even if you only had a couple of drinks a day. Now not so much.

"In an age of cruising that often seems to center on the “what’s new,” Norwegian Cruise Line is taking a bold move to get attention for its oldest ship. Beginning in January 2016, drinks will be free on the 16-year-old Norwegian Sky."

"In an age of cruising that often seems to center on the “what’s new,” Norwegian Cruise Line is taking a bold move to get attention for its oldest ship. Beginning in January 2016, drinks will be free on the 16-year-old Norwegian Sky."

The expectation is that the fare will go up and therefore the booze isn't free, just included in the fare, and those that don't drink much, will be subsidizing those that do, across the board.

In a few years as fares continue to rise, no one will remember how this transition occurred.

If what they have done is add the drink package to the cruise deal and increase the cost, that isn't "all inclusive" to me. If they include all tips, specialty restaurants, photos -- then maybe it would be a good deal,

Agreed up until the photos. Have been on many AI's and photos are never included.

Lots of excellent points brought up - thanks for sharing everyone.

Yes, this is only on the Sky - one ship doing 3-4 day bahamas cruises. (I would actually LOVE to sail here again - she used to be the Pride of Aloha doing 7 day Hawaiian cruises - our first cruise ever.)

I think this is smart of NCL. DO I think this will go fleet wide and across main stream cruising? I doubt it.

Is this really "All inclusive". - nope, of course not - any of us who've been to AI's know that adding drinks is just one of many aspects of an AI. Although - someone mentioned excursions included in AI - If you've found an AI that paid for all your excursions - that's certainly an exception. Specialty restaurants, tips, etc.. yeah, those should be included for a true AI. - not yet NCL, not yet.

But.. we've all seen significant changes to cruising in the past 12-18 months. It appears that the cruise lines are really going after Mr/Mrs Average Joe who has never cruised before. After all - on average, they make more with the first time cruiser than they do with those who make sure to get their free drink allotment cashed in each day. And, assuming the ships sail full without the D, D+, Pins, they are more than happy to welcome aboard the first timers. But, don't worry - they will keep the C&A tier system intact in some form - they MUST keep some rewards for the upper tiers to give the new cruisers an extra incentive to book again - their ideal cruiser is probably gold/plat - where the rewards are not very expensive, but enough to keep 'em coming back. So... maybe this "AI" cruise is just another step to attracting those first timers.

Edited by Toddcan