What is the strangest thing you have brought or seen brought onboard?

barbevrn

It amazes me what people bring onboard to either enhance their cruising experience, save money, or .......just because. I've seen and read about some things that make you go huh? We've all read about the blow up baby pools, the blow up Gorilla on the balcony, the booze, water, food...ect. What has been your funniest experience?

We were on a Conquest a couple of years ago. It was western night and the boat was a rockin.... We saw a couple of guys with those costumes on that look like they were riding horses. Not sure if it was the mojitos, the ocean of the motion, or what. But it sure was funny.

rodeo-costume.jpg

Washtub bass. Seriously a homemade washtub bass.

Every February a whole bunch of bluegrass groups get together on one four day cruises out of Long Beach.

They gather all over the ship, along the promenade, the buffet after meals and when the lido is quiet.

The inflatable monkey that some couple brings on each one of their cruises. On a windy day leaving port it blew off their balcony and the ship did a 360 thinking someone had gone over board. Amazing how sharp those ships can turn, everything went flying.

We once bought a full set of poker chips on a cruise ship, not the cheap lightweight plastic ones either.

And I always bring my inflatable parrots on vacation. I hang them in the window on a ship or from my balcony on a land vacation. My sister still curses me for bringing them to the clothing optional resort in Jamaica. Naked people stopped to comment on them each day while she was trying to enjoy her morning coffee on the balcony. Secretly I think she was more annoyed that I didn't mention that out room was on the nude side. Really, I think I did her a favor all the way around but she doesn't quite see it that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by mzlinda

I've seen a number of people who bring stuffed animals and then take their photo in front of landmarks.

I did see one couple whose carry ons were wal-mart plastic bags, and no, they weren't bringing on drinks. For that matter, I once saw someone checking a tied up laundry basket at the airport.

. ... I did see one couple whose carry ons were wal-mart plastic bags, and no, they weren't bringing on drinks. ...

Was it in Fort Lauderdale a few years ago? It could have been me. My luggage was lost, and didn't arrive until several days into the cruise. We had made an emergency stop at Walmart to get swimsuits and a change of clothing.

I did see a woman who brought her own beach lounge chair once - it was tied to her suitcase when we first saw her at the airport, then we saw her when we were in line to embark.

At first I thought she just didn't want to be without a chair at the beach but every day she brought it to the pool and sat in it.

Charcoal BBQ - with charcoal and lighter fluid.

Electric BBQ.

Kites.

Loaded 357 Magnum pistol.

Shotgun - unloaded.

Microwave ovens.

Fishing poles.

Ham Radios.

A complete beauty salon; hairdryers, massage tables, nails station, haircutting and styling equipment, pedicure equipment, and a beauty salon sign to hang outside the cabin. They set up their own business in their cabin - until I shut them down.

Large cans of gasoline - it's cheaper in Mexico.

Hookahs.

Live birds.

Live insects.

Live amphibians

Live snakes.

Live rabbits.

Live goldfish.

Live house plants

Samurai swords.

Chainsaw.

Trumpets.

French horn.

Electric piano.

2 suitcases filled with beer and tequila - but no clothing or toiletries. The bags were so heavy, nobody could lift them onto the x-ray machine.

A 4 wheel trolley with 12 cases of wine - for one cabin.

Edited by BruceMuzz

I have a small foam "Roaming Gnome." My sister got it for me one birthday. I take it on all of our vacations. We take pictures of the gnome doing all kinds of fun vacation things. =)

Doing that sounds like so much fun!!! I wish I had thought of that when my kids were young and traveled with us. They would have had a blast coming up with all sorts of creative vacation poses!

A number of years ago, on a world cruise, a couple of crew members were heading to the ship to start the trip. They spotted a yard that had a number of gnomes, so they got out and "borrowed" one. That gnome was taken off the ship at every stop, and had it's picture taken. Most of the time, passengers volunteered to do this, so it was really a lot of fun. I had the gnome in the Maldives and Cochin, India. At the end of the cruise, little Gnome was shipped back to his owners with a set of photos, a travel diary and gifts from some of the ports.

Edited by kitty9

Charcoal BBQ - with charcoal and lighter fluid.

Electric BBQ.

Kites.

Loaded 357 Magnum pistol.

Shotgun - unloaded.

Microwave ovens.

Fishing poles.

Ham Radios.

A complete beauty salon; hairdryers, massage tables, nails station, haircutting and styling equipment, pedicure equipment, and a beauty salon sign to hang outside the cabin. They set up their own business in their cabin - until I shut them down.

Large cans of gasoline - it's cheaper in Mexico.

Hookahs.

Live birds.

Live insects.

Live amphibians

Live snakes.

Live rabbits.

Live goldfish.

Live house plants

Samurai swords.

Chainsaw.

Trumpets.

French horn.

Electric piano.

2 suitcases filled with beer and tequila - but no clothing or toiletries. The bags were so heavy, nobody could lift them onto the x-ray machine.

A 4 wheel trolley with 12 cases of wine - for one cabin.

Unbelievable. I would have liked to have heard the reasons behind some of these items.

A number of years ago, on a world cruise, a couple of crew members were heading to the ship to start the trip. They spotted a yard that had a number of gnomes, so they got out and "borrowed" one. That gnome was taken off the ship at every stop, and had it's picture taken. Most of the time, passengers volunteered to do this, so it was really a lot of fun. I had the gnome in the Maldives and Cochin, India. At the end of the cruise, little Gnome was shipped back to his owners with a set of photos, a travel diary and gifts from some of the ports.

Posts like this are the reason this site should have a Like Button.

I've seen a number of people who bring stuffed animals and then take their photo in front of landmarks.

I did see one couple whose carry ons were wal-mart plastic bags, and no, they weren't bringing on drinks. For that matter, I once saw someone checking a tied up laundry basket at the airport.

My stuffed Pluto pillow pet comes everywhere with us, he's been around the world a few times now. We have to leave our 2 dogs at home so DH likes having a reminder of them on our trips :) We take a photo of him on the balcony at each port, or at the hotel for land trips :) He even travelled business class once with his own little shelf, the attendants loved him and kept petting him as they walked past :D

Pretty common that one

But love it

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Was it in Fort Lauderdale a few years ago? It could have been me. My luggage was lost, and didn't arrive until several days into the cruise. We had made an emergency stop at Walmart to get swimsuits and a change of clothing.

My apologies. Something like that never occurred to me.

We also saw a man bringing on a lounge chair usually used outdoors. I heard him explain that he had a bad back and it was the only thing he could sleep on.

Edited by gooch47

A black pleather high back Manager's Chair being rolled thru customs at the end of a cruise in Long Beach.

The family found it at the curb in Avalon, CA.

Somehow they convinced the tender crew to let them bring it onboard.

I did see a woman who brought her own beach lounge chair once - it was tied to her suitcase when we first saw her at the airport, then we saw her when we were in line to embark.

At first I thought she just didn't want to be without a chair at the beach but every day she brought it to the pool and sat in it.

I love this idea. Never mind the chair hogs, I brought mine.