Single Occupancy more than Double occupancy!!!

Bollinge

I have tried to book a balcony cabin for double occupancy, and another one the same next-door, for single occupancy.

This is to include the "321 free booze and tips" promotion.

Can you believe that the single cabin was more than the double?? That's with only one lot of tips and only one lot of tips on the singleton's account!

What's going on? Crazy or what?

I have tried to book a balcony cabin for double occupancy, and another one the same next-door, for single occupancy.

This is to include the "321 free booze and tips" promotion.

Can you believe that the single cabin was more than the double?? That's with only one lot of tips and only one lot of tips on the singleton's account!

What's going on? Crazy or what?

Single occupancy passengers pay "through the nose" - 200%. On a few occasions you may find 150% premium for single, but rare. It's a ripoff but there's not much we can do about it. You do get double Captain's Club points now - for whatever that's worth....:eek:

It doesn't seem fair but that is pretty much the industry standard--sometimes you can find specials that lower the price, but not often.

The reasoning is that, first of all, most ships don't have cabins with just one berth; if a single books a double cabin they would be losing the revenue from the second person if you were just charged for one: Cabin with two passengers @ $1000 each=$2000. Cabin with one passenger@ $1000=$1000.

Also, cruise ships make a lot of their profit from other spending passengers do on board; drinks, shops, spa, etc. One person in a double cabin will spend less than two people in a double cabin, usually.

If I understood the OP properly, they are saying

the double is $1000 x 2 = $2000

The single is $2500, i.e. even MORE than the double is costing.

I'd be curious to know the specific itinerary we're talking about to check into it. Also to confirm both cabins are the same category, i.e. both a 2B, and not just that both are "verandas" and not a 2B and a 1B

Hotels charge the same rate for one person as they do for two people. No one seem to gripe about their "rip off" single occupancy rates. I find it odd that people insist on singling out cruise lines for doing the exact same thing that they willing do at every hotel they stay at as a single occupant. :confused:

If I understood the OP properly, they are saying

the double is $1000 x 2 = $2000

The single is $2500, i.e. even MORE than the double is costing.

I'd be curious to know the specific itinerary we're talking about to check into it. Also to confirm both cabins are the same category, i.e. both a 2B, and not just that both are "verandas" and not a 2B and a 1B

I have never heard of ANY cruise line charging more than 200% for a single occupant in a double cabin.

It appears the OP may be mis-stating the cost (more than double) or comparing different cabins.

Sometimes single fares do not show up correctly on the Celebrity website especially if you are trying to book a special fare. Single occupancy is NEVER more than 2X each person in double occupancy, and the taxes are only charged for one person. Call Celebrity and they will straighten it out.

In case you are looking at exciting deals, do not let the Celebrity representative say they are not good for single occupancy. Either call captains club or get the rep to ask for the resolution desk to sort it out. I have sometimes had reps tell me that the exciting deals or other special fares are no good for single occupancy and I just keep at it and tell them to ask for resolutions to approve it. I win every time.

Here is my experience as of yesterday (12th):

I booked a Veranda GTY on Constellation Dec. 13 Eastern Caribbean for $1398 (pre tax) for the two of us. I booked a second Veranda GTY for a single. It was $1998 (pre tax). Both cabins had the same booking criteria, ie. state, over 55, etc..

I have never booked for anyone else or for a single. I expected to pay the full two person fare for the single. This was quite a surprise for me.

I booked a Veranda GTY on Constellation Dec. 13 Eastern Caribbean for $1398 (pre tax) for the two of us. I booked a second Veranda GTY for a single. It was $1998 (pre tax). Both cabins had the same booking criteria, ie. state, over 55, etc..

I have never booked for anyone else or for a single. I expected to pay the full two person fare for the single. This was quite a surprise for me.

There is something wrong. Call X and find out what the problem is with the reservation.

Yes, I believe there is glitch in the system. You should call Celebrity. If not, just book as a double and only have one person show up. That would be fine. We have traveled with friends that wind up having to go alone in the room due to medial issues of their traveling mate,

Hotels charge the same rate for one person as they do for two people. No one seem to gripe about their "rip off" single occupancy rates. I find it odd that people insist on singling out cruise lines for doing the exact same thing that they willing do at every hotel they stay at as a single occupant. :confused:

Hotels do not get the bulk of their income from discretionary spending by the guest. Cruise ships do..

Hi Boogs!

At first glance you hav a point but hotels don't feed you breakfast, lunch, dinner and provide daily entertainment.

Yes a hotel costs you for the "room". And cruise lines generally charge you for a "cabin" but since 90% of all cabins are occupied by couples (with a kid or two sometimes thrown in for next to no additional charge) they price based on two. Instead of using hotels as a comparator, an all inclusive resort would be a better example. And they price similarly.

There seems to be something a little off with OP's situation and I'm surprised his single supplement is higher than usual.

Cheers!

HTP

:cool:

Hotels do not get the bulk of their income from discretionary spending by the guest. Cruise ships do..

So then why do the hotels charge the same for single or double occupancy? All I am saying is that charging for double occupancy is the norm in the hotel business, just like in the cruise business. Using your explanation, the hotels should charge less since they don't lose that discretionary spending by a second person when only one person stays in the room. We don't hear people complain about paying for two people when they book a room as a single.

So then why do the hotels charge the same for single or double occupancy? All I am saying is that charging for double occupancy is the norm in the hotel business, just like in the cruise business. Using your explanation, the hotels should charge less since they don't lose that discretionary spending by a second person when only one person stays in the room. We don't hear people complain about paying for two people when they book a room as a single.

I agree that it is the norm however, I have booked multiple times at a rate less than double occupancy. :)

Double occupancy on a cruise ship is still a problem for me though and when I cruise solo I usually book Princess since they only charge 150% :D

I checked the cruise and this is one of the situations I was talking about in my earlier post on this board. Your cruise is on exciting deals and you have to make sure the rep speaks to the Resolution desk to get the lower fare for a single. Their system somehow screws up the pricing and some reps do not know what they are doing. Call captains club, they are better.

It looks like the single is getting the lowest regular price for a veranda, not the exciting deals price. Anyway, ask whoever you get to contact the resolution desk to get you the same veranda guarantee rate for single occupancy as you paid for two people. They have always done it for me and I have experienced this several times where they try to charge me a different rate for single occupancy on exciting deals cruises. But the resolution desk should sort it out for you. Dont take no for an answer.

I hope his helps you. I dont know why Celebrity makes it so hard.:mad:

I looked again and I see the problem. On the single cabin, celebrity defaulted to the senior rate which was the $1998 rate, not the exciting deals rate, which would have been the same $1,398 rate as you paid for double occupancy.

This has happened many times with me whenever I book exciting deals, as I said before, and you need to call celebrity and sort it out. A single should be eligible for the exciting deals rate at the same total price you paid. They have always done this for me when I call them on these rates.

Hope this makes sense to you.

Good luck, I would be interested in hearing what they tell you.

I have never heard of ANY cruise line charging more than 200% for a single occupant in a double cabin.

Lucky you - I have experienced this quite often (not on Celebrity as my first Celebrity cruise is still waiting for me). Quite often single cruisers are not entitled to any special rates and so it happens to a single cruiser that he/she has to pay more than double price.

Example:

A cruise is 1500 $ per person double occupancy regular price. There is a special offer for 1200 $ double occupancy. So if you book for 2 you pay 2400 $ and if you book for a single you pay 3000 $ as the single cruiser can´t get the special rate and has to pay double per-person price.

Thanks for all of your replies to my post and I hope the OP derived some value from them as well.

I will just add this. I didn't realize that this cruise was part of the 'Exciting Deals', but I went back and ran two bookings today. GTY for two is still $1398, but the GTY for a single is now $2398.

I don't understand why they feel the need to charge double. The one person is eating half as much food, drinking half as much, etc., than two people would in the same cabin.

My question is: Are they also charging double tips?

Thanks for all of your replies to my post and I hope the OP derived some value from them as well.

I will just add this. I didn't realize that this cruise was part of the 'Exciting Deals', but I went back and ran two bookings today. GTY for two is still $1398, but the GTY for a single is now $2398.

I guess I will say this once more. I cruise single occupancy all the time and sometimes several times per year. I have encountered this problem many times. The celebrity web site will NOT give you the correct pricing for singles when the cruise is exciting deals. It will default to the next best deal because technically single occupancy is not eligible for exciting deals. Unless you have personally called Captains club you will not get the exciting deals price for a single on the web site. Have you actually spoken to Celebrity or just run the numbers?

I have personally done this at least five times and have been able to get the same low price as a single every time when booking exciting deals. However, you always have to call them as the web site will not price it out correctly, and you must speak to a captains club rep, not the ordinary reps. If for some reason they still verbally say no, then there may be something different with Caribbean cruises than with European or transatlantic cruises, which are the only cruises I take. This could be the case and it may not be possible on Caribbean itineraries, but you will not know unless you call and ask, not just run the numbers on the web site.

the flat rate is for UP TO 2 people.. it's trying to compare apples and oranges

I don't understand why they feel the need to charge double. The one person is eating half as much food, drinking half as much, etc., than two people would in the same cabin.

My question is: Are they also charging double tips?

no to double tips (or taxes/fees)., yes to double cruise loyalty credit/.

one person less spending money on spa treatments, specialty dining, alcohol and fancy coffee ( where most income is generated) is how they can justify it.

I guess I will say this once more. I cruise single occupancy all the time and sometimes several times per year. I have encountered this problem many times. The celebrity web site will NOT give you the correct pricing for singles when the cruise is exciting deals. It will default to the next best deal because technically single occupancy is not eligible for exciting deals. Unless you have personally called Captains club you will not get the exciting deals price for a single on the web site. Have you actually spoken to Celebrity or just run the numbers?

I have personally done this at least five times and have been able to get the same low price as a single every time when booking exciting deals. However, you always have to call them as the web site will not price it out correctly, and you must speak to a captains club rep, not the ordinary reps. If for some reason they still verbally say no, then there may be something different with Caribbean cruises than with European or transatlantic cruises, which are the only cruises I take. This could be the case and it may not be possible on Caribbean itineraries, but you will not know unless you call and ask, not just run the numbers on the web site.

I can vouch for what you're saying. People are not reading what you posted. I just went through this two days ago for a cruise that was a Tuesday Special. Tried to book it online as a single. No dice. The rate that came up was ridiculous.

Called and got a rep who said he would have to run it by resolutions and revenue and he would get back to me. Took him several hours, but he succeeded. Not only that--when I was assigned my cabin (it was a guarantee), he checked what I got and moved me to a better cabin in the same category.

Edited by Happy Cruiser 6143

I can vouch for what you're saying. People are not reading what you posted. I just went through this two days ago for a cruise that was a Tuesday Special. Tried to book it online as a single. No dice. The rate that came up was ridiculous.

Called and got a rep who said he would have to run it by resolutions and revenue and he would get back to me. Took him several hours, but he succeeded. Not only that--when I was assigned my cabin (it was a guarantee), he checked what I got and moved me to a better cabin in the same category.

Yes, it can be done if you are persistent. And don't take No for an answer. They always have to call resolutions and revenue when I call them, too, but I always get what I want in the end. I dont know why they make it so difficult. :mad:

Out of curiosity was this a Caribbean cruise?

Looks like you got a good celebrity agent.