The best plate of food?

Arizona

With so many foodies associated with Oceania, what one plate would you say is simply the best out of any restaurant on board? We'll be on the Riviera in May and I don't want to miss out on that one perfect plate.

With so many foodies associated with Oceania, what one plate would you say is simply the best out of any restaurant on board? We'll be on the Riviera in May and I don't want to miss out on that one perfect plate.

I thought the Oysters Rockefeller in Polo Grille was the best version of the dish I've ever eaten. The sauce mixed with the spinach is used in moderation so the taste of the individual elements comes through. However, be warned. The chef is very liberal with the use of Pernod. If you don't like that flavor you may come to a very, very different conclusion from me.

I also loved the Dover Sole Meuniere at Jacques available on Marina and -- soon -- Riviera only. My husband puts in an enthusiastic vote for the Grilled Veal Chop with Wild Mushroom Sauce in Toscana.

We have only been on the R ships these past 5 cruises.The lobster Fri Diablo over Linguini is one of there best dishs in Toscana.The plain Broiled Lobster in Polo never disapoints.Also the Steaks are the best ive had in any resturant I've been to in New York or Long Island.And you can not beat the views.

My very favorite is the whole Maine Lobster in Polo..I dont get it to often here in California..Stus favorite is the 32 oz prime rib medium rare in Polo! Oh the stories about who eats that piece of meat..LOL

Jancruz1

My very favorite is the whole Maine Lobster in Polo..I dont get it to often here in California..Stus favorite is the 32 oz prime rib medium rare in Polo! Oh the stories about who eats that piece of meat..LOL

Jancruz1

I'm with Stu (except that I get mine rare)! Not that I've ever been able to finish it ...

Mura

My very favorite is the whole Maine Lobster in Polo.

Jancruz1

omg. Stan doesn't stop talking about that lobster. Whenever we have a conversation with someone about cruising. It's never the ports. It's never the ship. It's never the crew. Stan talks about the lobster.

Marilyn

especiallly-sea bass was to die for;

spicy prawns had two portions

watermelon and duck salad (as previously mentioned)................

but I have to admit dover sole is my favorite. Can't find it in many restaurants let alone cruise ships! You could pay in excess of $50 if you can find it in restaurant. Can't find even in local fish store.

I'll second the gnocchi. They were light and fluffy. Best compliment I ever received was when my husband said my Osso Buco was better than Oceania's. I thought Toscana's was very, very good.

The sea bass in Red Ginger was great.

Great photos. Looks like a true foodie.

Where are the croissants in the morning? Any chocolate?

And the best steak would be at?

There chocolate croissant are wonderful and you will find them each morning in the Grand Dining Room, the Terrace Buffet, and occasionally in Horizons, where there is a lovely little food service area tucked into a nook.

112207.jpg

Naturally, the best Steaks are in Oceanias' specialty steak restaurant, The Polo Grill.

Marina-Polo-Grill-0456.JPG

For me it is that first cup of good morning coffee and a perfect croissant.

That is it sometimes isn't it? Not the big things but the small perfect things like their croissants. The bakers on O are spectacular. The best ingredients are worked to perfection from a 'simple bread' to a showpiece. I agree with you, Ed & Frank that this is a great way to start the day.

Now to the rest; too many favourites. Lamb chops (various venues), the Dover Sole (Jacques & the GDR occasioanlly), the wonderful (simple but so well done) 'homemade' Lyons style sausage starter in Jacques, perfectly poached eggs. I could go on & on.

My only regular disappointment is the omelettes. Sometimes the GDR will prepare it 'less cooked' but usually it is very well (over) done. Always is in Terrace cafe. I ask for less cooked and get a little less cooked but still too firm and too brown. I don't object as I know it is the way they have been trained and a standard method at 'omelette stations'. Also they no longer have a spinach omelette (don't know why as they usually ran out of spinach so I certainly wasn't alone). Can you tell I appreciate a well cooked egg?

What a tiny quibble though where there is so much to enjoy. Having breakfast sailing into port on a sunny day out on the Terrace Café deck - what a great way to begin. Makes me smile just recalling. So the 'perfect plate' is also one served in wonderful surroundings and interesting company.

Looking forward to a repeat on our upcoming July 19th cruise on Riviera.

That is it sometimes isn't it? Not the big things but the small perfect things like their croissants. The bakers on O are spectacular. The best ingredients are worked to perfection from a 'simple bread' to a showpiece. I agree with you, Ed & Frank that this is a great way to start the day.

Now to the rest; too many favourites. Lamb chops (various venues), the Dover Sole (Jacques & the GDR occasioanlly), the wonderful (simple but so well done) 'homemade' Lyons style sausage starter in Jacques, perfectly poached eggs. I could go on & on.

My only regular disappointment is the omelettes. Sometimes the GDR will prepare it 'less cooked' but usually it is very well (over) done. Always is in Terrace cafe. I ask for less cooked and get a little less cooked but still too firm and too brown. I don't object as I know it is the way they have been trained and a standard method at 'omelette stations'. Also they no longer have a spinach omelette (don't know why as they usually ran out of spinach so I certainly wasn't alone). Can you tell I appreciate a well cooked egg?

What a tiny quibble though where there is so much to enjoy. Having breakfast sailing into port on a sunny day out on the Terrace Café deck - what a great way to begin. Makes me smile just recalling. So the 'perfect plate' is also one served in wonderful surroundings and interesting company.

Looking forward to a repeat on our upcoming July 19th cruise on Riviera.

Agree - 100% (especially breads, omelets and Lamb)

The breads on Oceania are the standout for me.

Everything else is subjective. When nothing appeals in the MDR it the Lamb chops that are consistently good

Since I love fresh lobster --- the lobster on Oceania does nothing for me. (either Toscana "tough" Fra Diavolo or Polo "watery" whole).

The Osso Buco is good -- but have had much better.

Now the steaks and the Prime Rib are excellent!!! Where else can you get a 32 ounce Prime Cut of meat and not pay extra for it!!

Archived