Pre/post hotel for athens & istanbul

canuck.qc

I am aware that this has been asked not too long ago but I've searched thru some posts and didn't find the particular one with your favorites, so I ask again for your recommendations. I of course will book directly with the hotel. O is using The Grande Bretagne for Athens (has good reviews) & the Intercontinental for Istanbul. Walking distance to sites and don't mind paying extra for comfort and service. Thanks

Athens Gate; ask for 6th floor back (it's a non smoking floor) and you walk in to your room, look out the window and there is the Parthenon....awesome!

breakfast on the roof!!

Edited by cbb

Sirkeci Konak in Istanbul is fabulous. Walking distance from everything -- our room overlooked the wall surrounding Topkapi Palace gardens. If you stay three nights, they throw in a lovely complimentary dinner, and the airport transfer, too!

Donna

We've stayed at the Grande Bretagne. Beautiful hotel. Rooftop restaurant and bar with wonderful views. Food good too!

Can't help with Istanbul.

:)

Another vote for the Grande Britagne suburb 5 star. Try to get an upgrade which we got to a fantastic suite.

The White House Hotel in Istanbul looks good on Tripadvisor so we're staying there for the Rivieria September 27th "Greek Isles" cruise 3-days before the cruise starts. They pick you up at the airport also, if you stay 3 nights or more. it's also a lot less expensive than the Intercontinental, I believe. But the intercontinental is probably more "posh."

On recent visits we've stayed in Sultanahmet. The Intercontinental is in Taksim so it really isn't all that convenient to many the sites. It is to Dolomabahce Palace. But Sultanahmet is closer to many more tourist sites.

If you want a 5 star, there are other locales.

We haven't stayed at the Grande Bretagne but I remember passing by it when we stayed in Athens with Renaissance, when we were at the Intercontinental (not too far away). Certainly a beautiful hotel and a good location.

I was going to suggest that you check out the Ports of Call but I don't see any links to Istanbul there. How odd!

Tom's Port Guides (http://www.tomsportguides.com/Istanbul-07-25-2012.pdf) has a detailed report on Istanbul although in skimming through it doesn't seem to help with hotels. But it certainly could help you if this is your first visit to Istanbul! The report is a few years old but I wish I'd had it available on any of our visits there.

Mura

I just booked June 3rd 2016 on Sirena so the research has begun. Agree Mura there is not an Istanbul on Ports of Call...If there are any outstanding tours any one took during a similar itinerary let me know. I have a few referrals for Athens (PK & George's Taxi) Reading past posts for all the other ports.

Thanks everyone

... The Intercontinental is in Taksim so it really isn't all that convenient to many the sites. It is to Dolomabahce Palace. ... [W]e stayed in Athens with Renaissance, when we were at the Intercontinental (not too far away). Certainly a beautiful hotel and a good location."

In 2011, when booked through Regent, we stayed at the Ritz Carlton in Istanbul, which is located on the same street as the Intercontinental. It was a nice hotel, and if you are concerned about security, it was very good because there were (are?) embassies in the same building. The balcony restaurant/bar has great views of the Bosphorus. As Mura notes, it was not very close to much of anything, and even a bit of a hoof to the light rail in the hot and muggy summer weather (down hill to light rail and up hill back to the hotel). Light rail was a great way to get around to the sites. The football stadium is right there if you want to catch a game (you can see it on Google maps).

We also stayed at the Intercontinental in Athens in 2011. Maybe it was the effect of the poor economy, but to my mind, the hotel was not up to Intercontinental standards. I don't know Athens well, but the location seemed ok.

Edited by Honeymooner2006
Fixed quote box html code.

The White House Hotel in Istanbul looks good on Tripadvisor so we're staying there for the Rivieria September 27th "Greek Isles" cruise 3-days before the cruise starts. They pick you up at the airport also, if you stay 3 nights or more. it's also a lot less expensive than the Intercontinental, I believe. But the intercontinental is probably more "posh."

You will like it! Just a warning. The journey from the airport (Yes they do pick you up) takes the best part of an hour. We were taken "all round the houses" and we are not sure if this is standard or just a quirk of the driver. I am telling you this because because I got a bit panicky. I thought we were being kidnapped!!! :eek:

All was well, of course, and the welcome at The White House is second to none.

If someone is looking for something a little less upscale hotel-y (or just a less expensive hotel in Istanbul), I've heard several people recommend Osmanhan Hotel. It looks great to me. It's in Sultanahmet, close to lots of popular tourist sites.

Based on reviews on Trip Advisor, we stayed at The White House. (Not your Ritz nor IHC). However, the location was not to be beat! It is in Sultanahmet. We were able to walk, manageably, to all the major sightseeing attractions. Our Oceania cruise ended in Istanbul and so after four nights, The White House arranged for a complimentary taxi and took us TO the airport (normally they only pick up) at our request. The staff was very welcoming, very accommodating. The breakfast was very good. Restaurants were just half a block away. The Cisterns were just one block (one of our favorites , quite interesting, and we were able to be photographed in Turkish garb; touristy, yes, but such fun). We also walked a longer distance downhill from The White House to the Bosphorus/port/spice market and took a taxi back. Staying at that hotel, we could also see the monuments at night lit up. The area felt safe and lively.

By contrast, we also took a HOHO (hop on, hop off) bus to go around the whole city. We got off at a stop for a off-the-beaten-path Chora? museum. This very long walk was memorable. I did feel isolated (away from other tourists). Clearly, people could see we were tourists, but it was quite interesting to window shop in the locals' area, stopping in a bakery, etc. Then a long walk back to the bus. Somehow I recall we went around twice to really get a feel for the city structure and neighborhoods. This bus we were able to get just a couple of blocks from The White House hotel. Our bus passed the area of the Ritz and, while obviously lovely, it was very far out of the way.

When down at the port, we walked across the famous bridge and took a ferry (filled with locals) down the Bosphorus and it was a delightful ride showing beautiful homes along the shore, with Asia on one side and Europe on the opposite bank. Istanbul was wonderful. There was also a locals' market near the Spice Market and a great Turkish coffee place with lines around the block. We got in line and voila it moved very quickly. We always try to take coffee home as a souvenir. Last year relatives visited "our coffee place", brought us some, and it was memorable to feel like being there again.

You will like it! Just a warning. The journey from the airport (Yes they do pick you up) takes the best part of an hour. We were taken "all round the houses" and we are not sure if this is standard or just a quirk of the driver. I am telling you this because because I got a bit panicky. I thought we were being kidnapped!!! :eek:

All was well, of course, and the welcome at The White House is second to none.

Thanks for the warning! We'll drop breadcrumbs all along the way just in case.

Sirkeci Konak in Istanbul is fabulous. Walking distance from everything -- our room overlooked the wall surrounding Topkapi Palace gardens. If you stay three nights, they throw in a lovely complimentary dinner, and the airport transfer, too!

Donna

Another vote!! I stayed there 3 nights in 2012.

For Istanbul I agree with Mura and others, stay in the Sultanahmet. Lovely atmosphere, good choice of restaurants, small boutique type well kept hotels, and a very short stroll to main sites.

For, Athens just don't stay in the hotel we did. Well regarded at the time on several sites, I don't recall the name as it has been erased from my memory. I think any personal recommendation from fellow CC members would be good choices. I recall looking longingly as we lugged our luggage past the Hotel Grande Breanne en route to our hotel in the area. It would have been fabulous to get a suite there as orchestrapal had but current price of CAD $600/night is more than we want to spend though probably good value for a fabulous room in grand old hotel.

For Istanbul I agree with Mura and others, stay in the Sultanahmet. Lovely atmosphere, good choice of restaurants, small boutique type well kept hotels, and a very short stroll to main sites.

For, Athens just don't stay in the hotel we did. Well regarded at the time on several sites, I don't recall the name as it has been erased from my memory. I think any personal recommendation from fellow CC members would be good choices. I recall looking longingly as we lugged our luggage past the Hotel Grande Breanne en route to our hotel in the area. It would have been fabulous to get a suite there as orchestrapal had but current price of CAD $600/night is more than we want to spend though probably good value for a fabulous room in grand old hotel.

If the GB is too rich for your blood, give the Royal Olympic a look:

http://www.royalolympic.com/

Very like the Brand Bretagne, but much more modern and a lot more affordable. The rooftop restaurant might actually be a little nicer.

;)

I'm not sure when you were in Athens, but if it is any consolation, I think that hotel was in close proximity to the protests that were occurring when we were there.

I'm not sure when you were in Athens, but if it is any consolation, I think that hotel was in close proximity to the protests that were occurring when we were there.

Yes, it would have been in the thick of it. We were fortunate to have missed so many 'events' in different places on that trip. Just lucky to be in the right place, right time. Have not been back to Greece for more than an overnight since and have some mixed feelings. A land trip we added on was wonderful. Hope your visit was good despite the protests.

Spent three nights last May at the Neorion Hotel in Istanbul, owned by the same group that owns the Sirkeci Konak, where we stayed in 2008. Both are very well located for sightseeing and with wonderful staff and service. We loved the large rooftop terrace at the Neorion.