Don't want quantum

If they are testing this thing out which means they have done marketing studies and tested this device thoroughly and they are using this device its only time when it will be mandatory. They are not going to waste their time and money on the studies, tests and producing this product for nothing, mark my word it be mandatory asap. I do find it odd though how they chose this particular ship to have it first, perhaps something to do with the currency and language issues that they will have to deal with and just trying to avoid those problems???

Quantum is known as The Smart Ship...........with extra ordinary technology which makes it smarter than all the other ships in the fleet.

They have devices out there that do convert currency, they have devices out there that communicate for you into a different language and then there are devices out there that can record the amount light sleep and heavy sleep you get and the distance that you walk each and everyday.

I read that they going to make passengers wear wristbands, they can also keep track to you, what you do, etc. I don't want to wear a wristband I am not a child I like the key card and prefer that!! I also don't want a robotic bartender either, but the question is if a robotic bartender serves you a drink I would have to say the robot doesn't deserve a tip!!

http://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Quantum-to-use-wrist-bands-instead-of-key-cards/?a=cruise&cid=eltrcruise

Don't let the facts get in the way of any of your posts.

The ship is going to Asia there will be a lot of language barriers and the cruise line I would think take american currency, not foreign exchange (but I am not positive) so these bands can convert the currency for the cruise line so that the proper charges will be billed correctly.

Sailing in Asia is nothing new for RCI. They've been doing it for several years. Currency conversion and language is nothing new to the staff and crew.

BTW, don't be upset when this thread is moved to it's proper forum.

Edited by cruisenfever

They have devices out there that do convert currency, they have devices out there that communicate for you into a different language and then there are devices out there that can record the amount light sleep and heavy sleep you get and the distance that you walk each and everyday.

There definitely are devices that can do all those things, but not RFID bracelets.

I'm still trying to figure out how an RFID bracelet would translate languages or convert currency.

Edited by time4u2go

Quantum is known as The Smart Ship...........with extra ordinary technology which makes it smarter than all the other ships in the fleet.

And that's undoubtedly why they are implementing these bracelets on this ship - not because it's going to be in Asia.

Good thing that they don't force everyone to go on a cruise, then.

Easiest solution of all time- don't want quantum? Then don't book it.

Done, solved your problem.

Man that was easy.

What's next?

Wait, I don't see this listed on your trips. So you are worried about an optional thing on a ship that you are not booked on.

Ok- got it.

Edited by alfaeric

I wonder if you can just put it in a pocket or handbag? Nobody knows.

Do you seriously think they're going to put a wristband on you that can't be removed? That you have to sleep with at night?

It's threads like this that make me embarrassed to recommend CC to friends. :eek:

Not sure if this has been mentioned, the wristband is OPTIONAL. :)

Not sure if this has been mentioned, the wristband is OPTIONAL. :D

Not sure if this has been mentioned, the wristband is OPTIONAL. :p

I am 61 years old and just viewed the video on the Quantum. The wrist bands are not a big deal to me; however, the thing I hate to see is the extreme availability of all of the "electronics". I understand this is the wave of the future and all, but one of the things I enjoy most about cruising is "disconnecting" from the "madness" of life's stressors.;) I so enjoy meeting new people, laughing, and having great conversations at dinner and around the ship. Does all of this high tech mean that we will be seated at a dinner table or in a lounge, and watching peoples' heads buried in their smart phones or laptops, not paying much attention to goings on around them?:confused: Boy, I hope not! Being able to mingle with other humans socially and in person is a very necessary building block for personalities and our social structure. I just worry about some humans becoming more like those robots nobody seems to want around.:eek: Sorry this is so lengthy and maybe this all sounds ridiculous to some but it explains the way I feel and, hopefully, some of you out there understand and/or feel the same way! In any event, have a great day, and maybe we'll meet for a drink and some more conversation on a ship someday!!

Edited by SilkySal
punctuation

Do you seriously think they're going to put a wristband on you that can't be removed? That you have to sleep with at night?

Isn't that what they do with the kids who are in Adventure Ocean now? I don't think you remove it until you are ready to leave.

Good thing that they don't force everyone to go on a cruise, then.

Easiest solution of all time- don't want quantum? Then don't book it.

Done, solved your problem.

Man that was easy.

What's next?

Wait, I don't see this listed on your trips. So you are worried about an optional thing on a ship that you are not booked on.

Ok- got it.

That's definitely right!

I do not exclude Quantum Class - if there are appealing routes, why not?

But just because of the ships I won't book cruises.

Radiance Class or others of this size are more appealing to me than such a floating media center...

The wristband is

OPTIONAL

Not only are they OPTIONAL, you have to PAY EXTRA to get one.

From the RCI website:

RFID WOW BANDS

In addition to Royal Caribbean’s traditional SeaPass cards, Quantum of the Seas also features WOWbands. For a nominal fee, these ready‑to‑wear wristbands require just one tap, so you can quickly and efficiently navigate the ship and make onboard purchases, as well as access Royal iQ and staterooms.

Isn't that what they do with the kids who are in Adventure Ocean now? I don't think you remove it until you are ready to leave.

Those are mandatory (I think). They serve a different purpose - to indicate to the staff which muster station the child should be take to in the event of an emergency (to be with their parents).

Of course not. I want mine to be silver, gold, and/or platinum! That way we can all flaunt our status with just a flick of the wrist.

Then I want mine to be made from real diamonds!! We all know that is not going to happen so maybe these never become mandatory.

It has been just over a year since our last Disney cruise and we still used seapass cards (of key to the kingdom or whatever they called them). Hopefully they will never be the requirement and always the option. 20 years from now when I can't remember my name it might be good to have something I can't lose.