Whats the deal with airfare to FLL?

goldgirl2

I am kicking myself for not get my plane tickets when I booked my cruise! The tickets from DYW to FLL were $240.00. Now they are $380! What is going on with the price of airline tickets? I have never seen them so high! I may rethink going on this cruise.:mad:

I am kicking myself for not get my plane tickets when I booked my cruise! The tickets from DYW to FLL were $240.00. Now they are $380! What is going on with the price of airline tickets? I have never seen them so high! I may rethink going on this cruise.:mad:

When we booked Indy in January, that was about the bottom-rung, pay for any changes rate from DFW to FLL. A little better connecting thru Charlotte on US Airways than non-stop on AA, but it stopped being apples to apples when we burned a US Airways $99 buddy pass and several years' mileage to upgrade.

Does anyone do that one non-stop?

Do you mean DTW or DFW?! What are your fly dates? Are you willing to throw MIA into the mix? Any alternate home airports?

These days, most travel industry watchers say the best pricing on non-holiday, routine flight dates is under two months out. But it pays to do your homework and get a good feel for your particular pairing. See, e.g., http://www.cheapair.com/blog/travel-tips/when-should-you-buy-your-airline-ticket-heres-what-our-data-has-to-say/

If you Google "historic airfare DTW to FLL," a top hit should take you directly to Priceline's handy city pair info page--scroll through the calendar, use the create a price alert tool to monitor, etc. (If you don't like the interface, try others--there are many choices!) Be sure you know which airlines available to you do not participate in these kinds of tools, e.g., Southwest--set up a direct monitor on their site.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

We had the same issue recently flying from sacramento to FLL. Prices were off the charts! We ended up booking 2 months out and flying from San Francisco, which was $300 less per person! We paid $398 r/t. Just keep checking and be sure to use tripadvisor to track your flights.

Its totally ridiculous and going higher.

We had the same issue recently flying from sacramento to FLL. Prices were off the charts! We ended up booking 2 months out and flying from San Francisco, which was $300 less per person! We paid $398 r/t. Just keep checking and be sure to use tripadvisor to track your flights.

Did you take train to Emeryville and then over to SFO?

If it is dfw you mean $240 was a bargain.$380 is still cheaper than a lot of flights I have seen. You don't mention when you are sailing?

All airline flights have gotten high no matter where you are flying from and to....you just have to keep looking and book the flight when you see the best price. We have to be in Rhode Island in October, and we saw prices from FL as high as $500 pp; ridiculous....then we caught a flight price for $300 per person and grabbed it. It is just as crazy a pricing world as cruises are.....just got to keep looking and checking the comparison websites.

We booked our flights for our flight leaving in two weeks about 8 months ago.

We like the non-stop from Cleveland.

The price has gone up and down over the months.

We paid with taxes and upgraded seats (not first class) $415/seat.

Last year in July it was over $500.

Sea Ya

This is what is bringing me to Royal Caribbean this winter! We had another Princess cruise booked, but the MSP-FLL fare was over $600 per person! We have a very specific travel window, working around two college winter break schedules. The fare for the same week to MCO was $200 per person. I started searching other cruise lines and found one this one out of Port Canaveral. It will be a new adventure!

Noticed the same thing with air from Portland Maine to FLL. Typically we've been paying in the $275-$325 range but not for next year. Prices have been astronomical in comparison. I've seen well in excess of $600 which makes it cheaper for me to fly out of Canada once you consider the added price of hotels, gas and meals for us to drive to Portland. Lately I've seen the prices come down a bit and they're hovering around $500 which is still very very expensive for Portland. We've been flying for 10 years now so these prices are surprising. Luckily for us we have some free Delta Miles and we've been able to fly for free for next year but I'm watching these prices very closely because in 2016 I think I'll have to go back to buying my tickets as my miles are gone now. It will be interesting to see if the prices get cheaper as the dates in February draw closer.

DYW airport is in Daly Waters, Australia. Where are you actually trying to fly from (if not there)?

Have you gone to a gas pump lately? As an active investor we find it interesting that for about the first time in modern history, many airlines are actually making a profit. The reason we have so few airline choices is because most of the old airlines either went bankrupt, or had to merge to survive. So yes, airfares are now high, most flights are full, there are extra fees for just about everything other then using the toilet (Ryan Air once talked about charging a fee to use the toilet) and its not getting better. So last week TSA announced they were more then doubling the TSA fee (added to every ticket price) and government taxes on airline tickets (which can be a major component) keep increasing.

Cruise ships are also making adjustments. Many ships have slowed down their speeds (this saves massive amounts of fuel) and adjusted their itineraries and port times accordingly. Cruising at 15 knots generates huge savings versus cruising at 18 knots. And the additional time at sea helps the ship generate more onboard revenue.

But there is another side to all of this pricing stuff. Forty+ years ago, when we first started cruising, the cruise fares were actually higher then they are today (much higher if you adjust for inflation). And even the airline fares were much higher (when adjusted for inflation). On the other hand, in 1960 it was actually faster to fly from NYC to LAX, if you consider when you must be at the airport these days. And on that flight you got good hot food, free drinks, excellent service, etc.

Hank

We paid about the same to fly from Reno, maybe a little more, when we booked in early May. Flights from Sacramento were ridiculously high and since we're about even from SFO and RNO, we liked the price and times at RNO a little better. We were afraid the prices would get worse because it's summer travel so we just went with it when the price got lower than many we had seen in the months prior.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you fly in a school vacation period like President's week or Easter week the flights are higher. Try checking out flying into Palm Beach International (PBI) about a 30-45 min drive from there to FLL. Southwest, USair and Delta go there. However there are fewer flights in the summer low period. Midweek fares are also cheaper if you have a few extra days to extend your vacation.

I may be paranoid, but I find the more that I look at the price, the higher it goes. I think they track it in their system and see a sudden spike in activity on a certain flight and then raise the price. ...again, I may be just paranoid.

A lot of companies do use searches and demand as a justification to increase prices...this goes for airline tickets, cruises, hotels, and other places. It's annoying, but I get why they do it. I just don't like it. Everyone is out to make an extra dollar these days!

At least most of you don't have to fly out of Huntsville, AL...we have been rated the most expensive airport in the US for 6 straight quarters now! Of course, we could drive to bigger airports like Nashville or Atlanta, but then you have to pay all that extra gas and parking!

Edited by life_dizzy

one of my favorite tools for flight comparison using nearby airports and +- days is matrix.itasoftware.com It does not sell tickets, but they provide the software for some of the big airline and sites that do sell. It is great for seeing all you options, although I start by focusing in on a single day with non-stops or one-stops looking at several selected airports on each end. The time bars option is neat.

one of my favorite tools for flight comparison using nearby airports and +- days is matrix.itasoftware.com It does not sell tickets, but they provide the software for some of the big airline and sites that do sell. It is great for seeing all you options, although I start by focusing in on a single day with non-stops or one-stops looking at several selected airports on each end. The time bars option is neat.

I second ITA software. I have it on my iPhone and has been very reliable and easy way to compare alternate airports, as well as alternate dates. However, it does not include Southwest Airlines, so I always check there too.

Karen

Radiance of the Seas Alaska- August 23, 2013

Navigator of the Seas (oil spill cruise!) - March 23, 2014

Navigator of the Seas- September 7, 2014

Freedom of the Seas- December 21, 2014

Carnival Magic- November 2, 2014