Using US$ in Canada NE ports

pris993

Doing a New England/Canadian cruise... wondering if we need to take Canadian dollars for a few shore expenses or can we use US$?

We don't buy a lot in port, maybe some wine, water, postcards ... don't use ATMs, so we either do cash or charge items.

• 2 months later...

While USD will be happily accepted, exchange rates will be far better if you get some Canadian currency before you start your cruise. I agree with previous posts that your best bet is to maximize use of a credit card that charges no foreign transaction fees.

Current exchange rate is $1 US to $1.23 CDN

http://www.oanda.com/currency/converter/

So, for example, if you use an ATM to withdraw some Canadian, $100 US will buy you about $123 CDN

Plus whatever fee your bank charges, either a flat fee or built into the exchange rate. Ask before you go but for most banks it's not much. Often better than the ship, certainly better than Currency Exchanges in ports and airports, definitely better than a local merchant.

Edited by tiggerrr

Plus whatever fee your bank charges, either a flat fee or built into the exchange rate.

Shop around. My credit union charges no ATM fees, and up to a monthly limit, they reimburse me for fees charged by other ATM owners. Their currency exchange rates are also excellent. There must be other institutions that do this, but they probably aren't commercial banks.

I find that ATMs are the most budget-friendly way for me to exchange USD for CAD, EUR, GBP, and many other currencies.

• 2 weeks later...

When ever I read a question about using USD in Canada or another country I always wonder what the reaction would be if the traveler brought home some

Canadian money they received back as change and tried to spend it at their local Super Market.

Me, I will soon be placing a order with my Bank for some Canadian Currency to take with us on our next Cruise to Canada.

Bob

In the tourist area you may be OK with $US but your change will be in Canadian. You will not get the best exchange rate.

There will be no problem with credit cards.

Hi

we are doing New England in September and being from the North of England credit cards tend Not to be used for small purchases example 2 cups of coffee - would it be acceptable to use card as I am very happy to use this and I do get an excellent exchange rate. Thanks

Hi

we are doing New England in September and being from the North of England credit cards tend Not to be used for small purchases example 2 cups of coffee - would it be acceptable to use card as I am very happy to use this and I do get an excellent exchange rate. Thanks

It's not uncommon to see people using a credit card to pay for a cup of coffee in New England, especially at big chain coffee shops. Much smaller shops may have a minimum charge for using a card. In some cases that's illegal under some states' laws, and in virtually all cases, it's a violation of the merchant's credit card contract, but it still happens.

So at places such as Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, McD's, it's fine to pay by card for a cup of coffees. At Miss Jean's Fresh Beans, six miles up Valley Road, you'll need cash.