Half moon cay question

august1963

NCL was one of the first cruise lines to acquire an island back in the 70s. There were badly needed renovations several years ago before the most recent round. We were first there in 2008 and it was a bit primitive. I really prefer the beach at Half Moon Cay though.

On my one and only NCL cruise aboard Sunward II, Great Stirrup Cay was a port of call. This was in 1979. If things were primitive in 2008, imagine what they were like then. But, it was a unique cruise experience at that time; one of the reasons I chose this cruise. I enjoyed it until I returned to the ship and discovered that I had became "lunch" for sand fleas.

Half Moon cay is owned by Princess not Carnival. When Princess isn't using the island Carnival will shedule a ship.

and Carnival Corp owns Princess, so the island is owned by Carnival Corp, who uses it is the mystery

Princess actually bought the whole island. Many of the islanders work for

Princess.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Actually the island was first purchased and used by Regency Cruises. It was truly a deserted Caribbean beach at the time. The ship's life boats (the ones that looked look like a dory) would ferry you to the beach and the passengers had to go over the side and wade ashore.

Everything needed for the beach side BBQ (hamburgers and hot dogs) had to be ferried in by the same tenders. This included portable charcoal grills.

The only structure on the island was a pit privy. It is still there tucked behind a screen by the rest rooms.

When Regency went under, somehow the assets passed to P&O. P&O also owned Princess.

Princess Cay, as it became to be known, somehow became a Princess asset. (And somehow those Regency cruises were credited to us in the Princess loyalty program).

and Carnival Corp owns Princess, so the island is owned by Carnival Corp, who uses it is the mystery

Carnival keeps all assets of the individual lines with those lines.

Carnival PLC is just a holding company with no assets.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Having been to HMC many many times, I can absolutely tell you the following.

When the ship arrives at HMC, the first few tenders are just for the crew to take supplies over to the island. All the food for the lunch comes from the ship. All the drinks also come over on the tender. All the staff on the island serving and making lunch are from the ship. The prices for drinks are the exact same as on the ship. The ships photographers are over there taking pictures. These is some local staff on the island who come there for the day not from the ship for some of the work, but the majority come from the ship.

As far as ownership, Carnival corp owns the island, it doesn't matter which sub corporation owns it on paper, but Carnival owns it for use of ll of the ships under their brands.

To sum it up, the day is a great beach day as long a the weather is not too windy for the captain to lay anchor so that you can tender over to it. Enjoy.

If you don't have an excursion planned at Half Moon Cay, can you go anyway and just hang out there? Are there things to eat, snorkel equipment to rent, things to do, etc.? Thanks

I'll add two things.

1) If you want a quieter atmosphere, walk farther down the beach after you get off the tender.

2) Play with the sand! Seriously!! HMC has the softest sand I've ever felt. It's fine like flour. I sat on a lounger with one hand playing in the sand. :D

Having been to HMC many many times, I can absolutely tell you the following.

When the ship arrives at HMC, the first few tenders are just for the crew to take supplies over to the island. All the food for the lunch comes from the ship. All the drinks also come over on the tender. All the staff on the island serving and making lunch are from the ship. The prices for drinks are the exact same as on the ship. The ships photographers are over there taking pictures. These is some local staff on the island who come there for the day not from the ship for some of the work, but the majority come from the ship.

As far as ownership, Carnival corp owns the island, it doesn't matter which sub corporation owns it on paper, but Carnival owns it for use of ll of the ships under their brands.

To sum it up, the day is a great beach day as long a the weather is not too windy for the captain to lay anchor so that you can tender over to it. Enjoy.

One sticking point for many cruisers, if I can add, for people who purchase the Cheers package for their cruise....Cheers IS NOT honored on HMC....you can use your S&S card to purchase drinks, but it is paid on a per drink basis

One sticking point for many cruisers, if I can add, for people who purchase the Cheers package for their cruise....Cheers IS NOT honored on HMC....you can use your S&S card to purchase drinks, but it is paid on a per drink basis

Sorry, I wasn't aware of that as I never buy the cheers package. Last time we were there, I got a bucket of beers and enjoyed them on the beach.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sorry, I wasn't aware of that as I never buy the cheers package. Last time we were there, I got a bucket of beers and enjoyed them on the beach.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In the beginning it was , they quickly took it away. Some are getting unopened beer through the cheers package on the ship and smuggling them over to the island .

In the beginning it was , they took it away. Some are getting unopened beer through the cheers package on the ship and smuggling them over o the island .

I don't purchase Cheers, but I wouldn't blame anyone for doing this. You pay for each day and if you are spending a full day at HMC and buying drinks there, CCL is getting double their $. Doesn't seem fair.

Due to bad knees, I have a hard time staying on my feet for very long. Can I take a rollator (walker) to HMC? Also, we've rented a cabin. Is there transportation to get us to it if we choose one further down the beach? Walking could be an issue. If any one who has rented a cabin can give me insight on a good choice (something near bathrooms, near BBQ, etc.) it would be much appreciated.

I appreciate all the HMC info.

I know there's an included buffet, but what foods are available other than hamburgers? Are there lemonade and iced tea machines?

Did I read somewhere that there are trails to walk in the interior, or am I confusing it with another private island?

I appreciate all the HMC info.

I know there's an included buffet, but what foods are available other than hamburgers? Are there lemonade and iced tea machines?

Did I read somewhere that there are trails to walk in the interior, or am I confusing it with another private island?

Nature trails with signs explaining what the plants are.