Enchantment of the Seas -Key West

alex800

Looking for recommendation on Key West tours. Going at the end of September. We just want to explore Key West. Should we walk around on our own or do the tours through RCCL? I saw that RCCL offers the following tours.

1. Cityview Trolley And Butterfly Conservatory

2. Hemingway Home And Sloppy Joe's Tour

3. A Taste Of Key West

4. Key West Old Town Trolley

5. World Famous Conch Train Tour

6. Conch Tour Train

Open to other suggestions.

Thank you.

Looking for recommendation on Key West tours. Going at the end of September. We just want to explore Key West. Should we walk around on our own or do the tours through RCCL? I saw that RCCL offers the following tours.

3. A Taste Of Key West

6. Conch Tour Train

Thank you.

Are you there all day?

If you have never been to KW before, I suggest a tour in the morning, followed by walking and drinking and eating and drinking in the afternoon.

:)

I did a Taste of Key West in May and LOVED LOVED LOVED it. But that's a food tour. For firsttimers, I would do the trolley or train.

We did the Key West Old Town Trolley on our own and enjoyed it. We got off at several stops on the way to the Southernmost point (including Ernest Hemingway's house) and then walked back from there, taking our time to eat and drink along the way. Great, easygoing day!

Key West is a great place to just explore and do on your own versus any ship excursions.

You can visit the Butterfly Conservatory on your own -- it is great, lots of butterflies and you aren't rushed so can really enjoy it.

The conch train is a great way to travel around.

Hemingway House is an easy walk, as is the Lighthouse. Great view if you're ambitious enough to do the climb up!

Other spots that I have toured and enjoyed: Audoban House and Garden; the photo op at Southernmost Point; the cemetery (weird I know); the Aquarium.

And as Merion_Mom suggests: eating (key lime anything), drinking, walking.

3. A Taste Of Key West

6. Conch Tour Train

Thank you.

You may also want to take a look at the port of call forum here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=155

3. A Taste Of Key West

6. Conch Tour Train

We did the taste of Key West recently and enjoyed it. It's a walking tour that stops at a few locations close to the port. You get small samples of some local favorites (including a Key Lime desert) and see some notable locations and get some history highlights of Key West. You finish early enough to do some self exploring.

There's also Mile Marker 0 on US-1. It's decent walk from the port (but not as long a walk as the Southernmost point) and basically a photo op, so transport of some sort may be a good idea.

Regardless of what you choose to do bring hat's and sunscreen as there's usually not a whole lot of shade to be found while walking around during the day.

Edited by mooseman52b

Just about everything there is to see in Key West (as a cruiser) is close to where you get off the ship. Conch Trains and tours are right there as well. Do the tour if you would like a guide to explain a lot of the architecture and history of the island. It's actually quite interesting and so much more to the history of Key West than many know. Personally, I think the tour is great, especially if you haven't been before. It's not very long, either.

I've never done one of the tours as a cruise passenger - I visit Key West all the time as a South Florida resident, so I don't know if it's difficult to get a tour without doing so through the cruise ship - just thinking crowds. I would probably call or email the tour operators and just ask that question. Ideally, you can skip the official excursion and just hop of the ship and do it yourself at your convenience.

Edited by BNBR

I have walked the whole island down to the Southernmost Point and Hemingway Home, but this trip I am going on tomorrow, I have book the Hop On Hop Off trolley

http://www.trolleytours.com/key-west/

It goes all over the island, and I think it will be a nice way to pack in as much as we want in a day's time. I hope you have a great cruise, and an amazing time in Key West :)

Much depends upon your interests but as Key West is an American port and everyone speaks English (well almost everyone) there's no reason why you can't do it on your own. We've walked Duvall Street enjoying the galleries and shops, done the aquarium, the butterfly museum, the southernmost tip of US, Hemingway House all on our own. Why pay a middleman?

Why pay a middleman?

Because Key West has a very rich and colorful history that you will never learn about simply walking around. What is an eyebrow house? Why do residents paint the ceiling of their covered porches blue? Etc. A ton of information and a good tour guide will be invaluable if you find that stuff interesting. I think the trolley is usually pretty good.

We did the city view tour 2 weeks ago. you can buy your tickets online and print them out to bring with you. (save a few bucks) the tour stays within key west town and you can get on and off as you please. There is a trolley coming approximately every 15 minutes to every stop ! had key lime pie at Kermits and got a buy one get one drink coupon from the driver for The Conch Republic Seafood Company, had lunch there , excelllent in our opinion. Our driver/tour guide did a great job.

With an injured foot that precluded much walking, and having been to most of the Key West attractions in the past, three of us recently visited the Mel Fisher Museum located very close to the pier. Fisher is the man who discovered, and recovered, numerous artifacts from the Spanish ship Nuesta Senora de Atocha that sunk in 1622. Many of his most spectacular recoveries (bars of silver, golden and emerald jewelry etc. are displayed here as well as relics from other sunken ships. There is also a gift shop on premise that sells some of the artifacts. We found it fascinating (albeit a bit pricey...I think it cost $15 each for admission).

Thank you everyone. I would like to see as much as possible including The Southernmost Point. But from what I heard that it will take a while to get cleared by customs if you are on on tour through rccl. We arrive at 10 am. and leave at 6 pm. So it doesn't give us alot of time to explore the island :(

Thank you everyone. I would like to see as much as possible including The Southernmost Point. But from what I heard that it will take a while to get cleared by customs if you are on on tour through rccl. We arrive at 10 am. and leave at 6 pm. So it doesn't give us alot of time to explore the island :(

We were in Key West May of last year and did the Old Town Trolley and loved it. Our plan was to hop on hop off, but our driver was fabulous, so funny and very informative, many great stories of Key West so we ended up staying on and getting off nearly at the end, but had plenty of time to explore, had lobster rolls, went to Margaritaville, saw Hemingway House and all the tourist attractions and even got in some shopping. We booked through RCCL as just a few dollars more and that got us through immigration and off the ship first. Arrived at 10:00, our excursion tickets were for 10:30 and we were off by 10:15. Others we were told were given times and some seemed quite late (11:00-1:00). It was worth it for us to book through RCCL for the extra time.:)

My Grandson was born in Key West. He's now 22 and hasn't been back there in several years so we booked Enchantment, in part because it will stop in Key West. If it's your first time, try the Conch Train or Trolley in the morning. It will give you the highlights and you'll see where everything is located. You will still have time to enjoy some of the local "flavors" including conch fritters, Key Lime Pie, and Pepper sauces (Peppers of Key West), along with a beverage at one of the local bars on Duval Street, all on your own. You'll also have time to do one of the many spots like Hemingway's House, the Little White House or Mel Fisher's museum(our favorite). Key West is one of our favorites and we can't wait to be back there. We always find something new to love about it. We are only disappointed that the ship leaves before sunset on the pier. It's like no other place. They celebrate sunset EVERY Day and it's really something to see.

Arrived at 10:00, our excursion tickets were for 10:30 and we were off by 10:15. Others we were told were given times and some seemed quite late (11:00-1:00). It was worth it for us to book through RCCL for the extra time.:)

Same thing happened to us on Majesty this past April. I couldn't agree with you more :)

Edited by mooseman52b

3. A Taste Of Key West

6. Conch Tour Train

Thank you.

We have done the Taste of Key West, Hemingway Home Tour and Key West Old Town Trolley......loved them ALL. Can't make a bad choice.

Even if you don't do the Taste of Key West....find a place to stop and get chocolate dipped keylime pie on a stick....outstanding!

As a local, I recommend the hop on/hop off City View trolley. I think it's the best way to get a dime tour of the island and learn our history while doing it.

The Conch Train does the same thing, but it's not hop on/hop off.

I recommend City View over Old Town Trolley. City View has padded seats and you don't waste time with hotel stops. The owner of Old Town threw in a couple stops at hotels he owns out in the business district, so it's a waste of time for cruise guests.

Even if you don't do the Taste of Key West....find a place to stop and get chocolate dipped keylime pie on a stick....outstanding!

We stopped at Kermit's at the end of the Taste tour and the frozen chocolate dipped "key lime pie on a stick" was wonderful :). Kermit's store has all kinds of Key Lime goodies :cool:

Joseacute_Jalapeno.jpg

Edited by mooseman52b

This is true, and I think only the early RCCL excursions get early immigration treatment. At least that's how it was written on the sheet. Everyone has to go through it though. I was on this cruise last week, and I was frustrated when I found out how late immigration starts on the ship, how long it takes, and that our touring would have to be in the heat of the day. We had to sit around in the Centrum for 2 hours waiting for our muster station to be called, and we were 8 out of 12. :mad:

Once we got on the island, we did the Cityview Trolley, which is not a Royal Caribbean excursion, because I read that it's the only one with cushioned seats. You get a discount if you order your ticket online ahead of time (just remember to print and take it with you). Personally, Key West is big enough that I would not attempt to walk it, certainly in the short time you will have, unless you only want to see the area near the ship (which doesn't include Southernmost Point). On the short walk from the ship to the Cityview Trolley Stop 1, there are several ice cream shops and souvenir shops.

We ate lunch at the Southernmost Point Beach Cafe, which had average food but nice covered outdoor seating with a view of the beach and ocean. When our bus went by the Conch Republic Seafood Company, that looked really good too. That is later on the tour though, and we were hungry earlier.

At the Southernmost Point, be prepared to wait in line about 20 minutes to take your picture.

Edited by emory2001

When our bus went by the Conch Republic Seafood Company, that looked really good too. That is later on the tour though, and we were hungry earlier.

Conch Republic is a great restaurant. It's tourist priced, but the food is really good. Plus, Kermit's is right across the street. :)

I have been to Key West twice and will be going back on Enchantment of the Seas on Sept 12 cruise. Most of what you have read is what I did. If you want to have some fun before you leave go to you tube and put in Key West on New Years Eve and Fantasy Fest in Key West. Late night when the children can't look over your shoulder and ask questions :).

I think I will get off the ship and walk left towards the marina. Lots of sail boats and key lime pie. Everyone will go straight to Duvall Street so I will avoid it in the beginning. I will work my way over to the conc train and ride it for an hour. Lots of interesting info and you see the island pretty fast. About 2:00 I will start walking Duvall Street back toward the ship. Carolines on Duvall Street has good hamburgers. Wind up at the open air mall by the ship to watch the carnival acts before getting back on the ship. Wear good walking shoes.

• 2 weeks later...

3. A Taste Of Key West

6. Conch Tour Train

Thank you.

We did the taste of Key West several years ago, and took two of our sons. We all had a great time, and it was more informational than we had expected..